Damnit Front Speakers are out.

ecsevo705
ecsevo705 Posts: 9
edited January 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
I just installed two pairs of db 525's in my 95' Volvo and the front speakers keep going in and out. I checked the wiring numerous times and re-connected them several times. Today they went out completely and no matter how much I fiddled with them, not even a crackle..what could be wrong? Any suggestions? I traced it back to the front right speaker.
thanks for any info.
Erik
Post edited by ecsevo705 on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited December 2006
    It could be all kinds of things. If both are going out at the same time then its not a problem with the speakers.

If youve checked the wiring at BOTH ends and everything is ok you should still do a couple more tests. Run some speaker wire straight from the speakers to the amp and see if they work. If they do then the speaker wires are shorting out on something under the carpet.

Make sure there arent any freyed ends or wire touching across both terminals of both the speakers and the amp.

If you have another amp, try hooking them up to that and see if the amp is bad.

If youre using an amp, make sure the RCA's are hooked up good and tight.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • ecsevo705
    edited December 2006
    MacLeod wrote:
    It could be all kinds of things. If both are going out at the same time then its not a problem with the speakers.

If youve checked the wiring at BOTH ends and everything is ok you should still do a couple more tests. Run some speaker wire straight from the speakers to the amp and see if they work. If they do then the speaker wires are shorting out on something under the carpet.

Make sure there arent any freyed ends or wire touching across both terminals of both the speakers and the amp.

If you have another amp, try hooking them up to that and see if the amp is bad.

If youre using an amp, make sure the RCA's are hooked up good and tight.

Thanks for the help, I do not have an extrenal amp and they are still hooked up to the stock head unit in my car. Im have a new Alpine cda-9856 Head unit ready to install but I have put it off until I get the speakers going perfectly. And yes they are both going out at the same time. Tommorow Iam going to take the one with the "problem" out and try the other to try and narrow down problem areas.
    Thanks
    erik
  • MacLeod
    edited December 2006
    You lost me bro.

If they both are going out at the same time, how is it only 1 has a problem?
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • ecsevo705
    edited December 2006
    When I take the right speaker out and the wires move, they turn back on. That is what made me think that it was a problem with that speaker. Am I completely wrong to think this? Sorry, Im pretty noob at all this. Thanks alot for your help
  • MacLeod
    edited December 2006
    That leads me to think its a problem with your wiring.

Try this, swap the left speaker with the right speaker and see if you still have the problem. If the right speaker still cuts both of them out when you jiggle the wires, then its a problem with your wiring. Something is shorting out somewhere.

• ecsevo705
    edited January 2007
    This is very annoying....What is the best way to connect speakers? The existing harnes in my car has two metal connectors that slide over the +/- terminals on the speakers. What if I cut the metal connectors off and stripped and soldered the wires. Would this solve the problem?
  • MacLeod
    edited January 2007
    Oh, youre using the OEM wiring. That explains everything.

Here is what ya should do. Run down to Walmart and grab you some 16 guage speaker wire. Then install the new Alpine head unit and run the speaker wire directly from the Alpine ALL THE WAY to the speakers. I have a strong feeling thatll solve your problems.

• ecsevo705
    edited January 2007
    MacLeod wrote:
    Oh, youre using the OEM wiring. That explains everything.

Here is what ya should do. Run down to Walmart and grab you some 16 guage speaker wire. Then install the new Alpine head unit and run the speaker wire directly from the Alpine ALL THE WAY to the speakers. I have a strong feeling thatll solve your problems.

gahh I already installed the new HU and everything is in place, tommorow I plan to solder and then heat shrink the connections, hopefully this should solve my problems...:confused:
  • dohcmark8
    dohcmark8 Posts: 229
    edited January 2007
    ecsevo705 wrote:
    gahh I already installed the new HU and everything is in place, tommorow I plan to solder and then heat shrink the connections, hopefully this should solve my problems...:confused:

Still be a good idea to replace the stock speaker wiring. Really, the stock wiring is crap, and will give you odd problems. If the wiring is bad then even hooking it all up right might not even work. Just replace the stock speaker wiring, its worth the hassle.
  • Greg Peters
    Greg Peters Posts: 605
    edited January 2007
    I've had the (thin, cheap) factory wiring crack at points where it flexes (like door looms) on fairly new cars, causing intermittent sound from the speakers.

Definitely worth the money to run new wire. You can step up to larger gauge wiring while you're at it, should you ever intend to amplify the speakers in the future.
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited January 2007
    I would do as these guys have told you. Bad wiring could also lead to your HU's internal amp being fried......not worth it when the solution was to run new speaker wire.
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • ecsevo705
    edited January 2007
    How do I go about running this from the HU to the speakers? I used the wiring harness from crutchfield to go from my Alpine HU to the stock harness. Where and in which harness do I include the new speaker wire? I guess Ill just figure out where to run it under the interior? Thanks alot for all your help, I really appreciate it. :)
    Thanks again
    Erik
  • Greg Peters
    Greg Peters Posts: 605
    edited January 2007
    Without knowing exactly what car you have (and even then, not knowing how it comes apart), generally:

Connect your new speaker wires to the back of the harness instead of connecting harness to the factory speaker wires. Use wire ties at intervals to keep them tight to other vehicle wiring.

Run your new wires under or through the dash, down through the kick panels, into the rubber boots running from kicks to doors (for door speakers). A coat hanger with a small loop in the end makes this easier. Continue to run remaining wire through the door sills or along sills under the carpet to rear speaker locations (if used)- it's not a crime to use existing OEM wire for rear speakers, as upgraded wiring will make the most difference for amplified components up front- disregard that if you plan on powering rear speakers with considerable amplification though.

Most bulk speaker wire has a stripe on one of the two strands, to help keep positive and negative from being mixed up and causing phase issues. Keep polarity in mind when connecting to harness. I usually label mine with masking tape when running multiple strands through the car. I also find it easier to lay out the runs of wire outside the vehicle (using more than enough length) for each side, connect at HU harness, and then work backward to speaker locations...tucking, securing, hiding the wire as I go along. You'd be surprised how keeping everything orderly results in needing added length.

Solder your new wire or use crimp terminals and attach to speakers.
  • MacLeod
    edited January 2007
    I would connect the speaker wires to the speaker wires coming out of the head unit. Those Circuit City quick disonnect wiring harnesses are notorious for noise.

Just find which colors are to which speaker and hook em up.