Back door Mid-bass increase Question???????

Polkemon
Polkemon Posts: 144
edited December 2006 in Car Audio & Electronics
Just as I thought would happen! I got my db6500's on the back door and the Infinity Perfect 6.1's on the front and you can hear the back doors to much even when fadded some. My question is can I disconect the tweet on the back door from the crossover and just run the mid-woofer or will this be bad on the amp since there will be an open out put on the crossover.
Or should I run the polk db mid-woofer of of the polk 400.4 directly and if so what settings would be recomended or should I get a spec. trassistor for the mid-woofer?
The truck is a 98 Tahoe so the back doors are not the best for midbass since the cavity is between the door panel and the door itself.

If this will not perform right what would be better suited to give more mid-bass in the rear doors? I do not have a lot of depth to work with and this makes it hard on picking speakers for the back door but if push come to shove I will mount the speaker on the top of the factory grill.

I am thinking of upgrading my Perfects to the Focal k2p's since they sound awesome when heared next to the sr6500's that I do love as well since they are in my private Tahoe.

Thanks!
Donny
NEWEST RIDE:
2006 Silver Jaguar XKR Coupe with factory BBS 20" and upgraded Brembo Brakes from factory....
Supercharger Pully Upgrade
Air Intake
Mina Exhaust System....

2007 Chevy Tahoe (Daily Driver):
Front Doors POLK sr6500
Amp front JL 450/4
Amp Sub JL 500/1
Sub JL 10w6

(Work Trucks)
2005 Mercury Mountaineer Premier 4.6L V-8
All Stock!!! In the process of changing this.

2002 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 Crew Cab 6.6L Diesel
Post edited by Polkemon on

Comments

• Greg Peters
    Greg Peters Posts: 605
    edited December 2006
    Before doing anything rash, let the db6500 set break in some- midbass will improve and be better balanced with the tweeter output after some playing time (possibly a couple of weeks).

Another thing you could try to lessen the tweeter output meanwhile is to reverse phase on the tweeters at the crossover (swap positive and negative of tweeter only, both sides).

The crossovers buit into the Polk 400.4 are optimized for the Polk MMC series- not to say that you can't use them, but the crossover points may not be ideal for the db6500s.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited December 2006
    There is a funny flatus reference to be posted here, I just can't put the words together this morning.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited December 2006
    If youre running the rear speakers off the rear channels of your amp, try turning down the gain on the rear channels until they blend in better.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Polkemon
    Polkemon Posts: 144
    edited December 2006
    If I matt the rear outer door and the back of the door panel will this help or is the back door air space to little to give good mid-bass since it has a 2' x 2' x 3" worth of volume for the midbass?
    NEWEST RIDE:
    2006 Silver Jaguar XKR Coupe with factory BBS 20" and upgraded Brembo Brakes from factory....
    Supercharger Pully Upgrade
    Air Intake
    Mina Exhaust System....

2007 Chevy Tahoe (Daily Driver):
    Front Doors POLK sr6500
    Amp front JL 450/4
    Amp Sub JL 500/1
    Sub JL 10w6

(Work Trucks)
    2005 Mercury Mountaineer Premier 4.6L V-8
    All Stock!!! In the process of changing this.

2002 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 Crew Cab 6.6L Diesel
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited December 2006
    I would definitly put some Dynamat on the door panel and door skin. The more the better! That would cut down on vibrations and resonance issues a ton which would improve overall SQ from the speakers as the vibrations from the door panels can interfere with the speaker.

Also, give the speakers time to break in. They work on a motor with a suspension and as any mechanical device, will work better over time as they get good and broke in.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D