National Day of Mourning???

Early B.
Early B. Posts: 7,900
edited December 2006 in The Clubhouse
OK, a former Prez is dead. But why should federal employees get an extra day off on Tuesday, January 2nd because of it? What are they suppose to do -- weep all day?

What about non-federal workers -- do they get an extra paid day off, too? No mail delivery? Who's paying the bill for this?

If Doro dies, do Polk Forum members get a day off to mourn? Hell, no! It ain't fair, I tell ya.

Geez.
HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
Post edited by Early B. on

Comments

• PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited December 2006
    I'm happy about it! The stock market is closed, so I don't have to work. 4-day weekend woohoo!
  • PolkWannabie
    PolkWannabie Posts: 2,763
    edited December 2006
    Fair ? ... LOL ... Who told you life was gonna be fair ...

Paying for it ? ... Smile when you ask that ...
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited December 2006
    I'm a bit confused. Are you upset because you don't get a day off with pay, or you think your tax dollars are being misused? :confused:

It's a sign of respect--notwithstanding the fact that DC (which borders on it daily, I know, I work there) would be traffic gridlocked from street closures.

They get January 15th off as well. Same reason: respect.
  • Early B.
    edited December 2006
    I'm a bit confused. Are you upset because you don't get a day off with pay, or you think your tax dollars are being misused? :confused:

Both, although I wouldn't use the word, "upset." Just an observation.

I'd love to get paid to mourn like all the other federal employees.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,950
    edited December 2006
    If Doro dies, do Polk Forum members get a day off to mourn? Hell, no! It ain't fair, I tell ya.

Sure Doro appreciates that,big guy!:p
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited December 2006
    Early B. wrote:
    I'd love to get paid to mourn like all the other federal employees.

Here you go: http://www.usajobs.opm.gov/ ;)
  • Early B.
    edited December 2006

Do these jobs require a background check? If so, I think I'll have to remain self-employed. ;)

• schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited December 2006
    We're talking about the former President of the United States here. A day of mourning to show respect is the least we could do.
    Carl

• Early B.
    edited December 2006
    schwarcw wrote:
    We're talking about the former President of the United States here. A day of mourning to show respect is the least we could do.

Really now, what will the American people do on Tuesday? I doubt very seriously most of us will be "respecting" the dead president.

• shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited December 2006
    schwarcw wrote:
    Absoulutely...regardless of politics a former United States President, who many believe to be the most important and influential individual in the World while they are in office, deseves a certain amount of respect when passing. It doesn't happen often and a day of no government business is a small price to pay as a nation. Any company is free to do the same if they choose.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited December 2006
    Im with Shack. Its not necessarily about the person but rather respect for the office.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited December 2006
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited December 2006
    Not yet. Ask me again after CES.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited December 2006
    I totally agree with Early 100%. Its a bit ridiculous. The same system that governs our slaveship corporate America.
    I am busting my **** on overtime for what we call, year end. The last chance for CEO's and higher ups to pocket as much as they can for the year. Meanwhile they get two weeks off.
    Thats all - i feel better.:rolleyes:
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited December 2006
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited December 2006
    I think thats the GhostBusters car.

I would also like some Cheese with my wine - Government cheeezzzee!
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited December 2006
    Who ya gonna call?
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 5,065
    edited December 2006
    I'm with Early on this one. What a crock of ****. Why not hold all exec. funerals on Saturday's. Give all federal employees off!!! Boy, that would piss them off. I wonder how much we the tax payers are saving now that secret service duty is over? Or is it? Really though, any day that all federal employees are off is the only day the government operates effectively!!
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited December 2006
    Let's forget the flying of the flag at half staff while we are at it. Good grief...think of the amount of time it takes for the guys doing it to get it just right. Might as well forget the funeral and any ceremony. After all....he was JUST the President of the United States. No big deal. :rolleyes:
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Danny Tse
    Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
    edited December 2006
    shack wrote:
    It doesn't happen often and a day of no government business is a small price to pay as a nation.

As a State government employee, I am expected to be at work on Tuesday....geez, more pencil shuffling and paper pushing.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited December 2006
    I think you guys need to chill out a tiny bit. It's just one day. How often does a former president die? Having the day off for Federal employees is probably just a logistics problem, as I assume the funeral happens that day and a lot of federal employees (who work in DC) are expected to attend.

A friend of mine works for hte DOT and gets the day off. I'm a tad jealous, but... whatcha gonna do.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited December 2006
    A truly great man who in a time of chaos restored a sense of pride to our Nation. Awakening "from a long nightmare", his speech line that he struggled with saying. I will spend some time reflecting on President Ford's life and accomplishments, I find it disturbing he was so against the war in Iraq, his wisdom is now lost to our country.

I thank the Adminstration for the time, of course, I will also bust some tunes while you effers are toiling. For sure I will get some violin music to accompany you with.

RT1
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited December 2006
    It's a short time to show respect for one of the greatest "Americans" to live in our lifetime. What he did while in office takes a huge pair and I'll not ever forget it.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"