SDA CRS+ Loss of Bass Response

Options
Fischman
Fischman Posts: 2
edited January 2007 in Vintage Speakers
I have a pair of SDA CRS+ speakers that I bought new in 1988. The left speaker has recently lost its bass response. The right one seems OK. I've ruled out the amp as the problem. Any ideas as to what the problem might be? Caps on the crossover perhaps?
Post edited by Fischman on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited December 2006
    Options
    Make sure the mid drivers are tightened down, but don't over-do it and loose the grip on the wood all together.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited December 2006
    Options
    Welcome the the Club Polk Forums! Check your wiring outside and inside the box. I loos connection or a corroded connection may be your problem.

Another this to try is to gently, and I mean gently slowly pressinward on the passive radiator located on the rear of the speaker (you'll have to remove the grill). As you slowlu push in on the passive radiator, listen for a scraping sound from the woofer on the front. A scraping noise is indictive of a blown driver.

Good luck!
    Carl

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,855
    edited December 2006
    Options
    Check that both mid-drivers are working and check that the PR doesn't have a rip in the surround, but I think your problem is that the PR has separated internally. Remove the PR, look at the back where the cone joins another piece that is circular. If they are separated, that is the problem. You can repair this by gluing the pieces together again.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Fischman
    Fischman Posts: 2
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. Speakers & all connections checked out good. Did a little more troubleshooting. Problem end ups being with the left channel on my NAD 7175 receiver. Go figure. This will be the second time the NAD has been out for repair. The SDA CRS+'s, however, keep going strong! :)