Sofa Shopping

Early B.
Early B. Posts: 7,900
edited December 2006 in The Clubhouse
Gotta go sofa shopping soon. Our current leather sofa is 10 years old and is beaten up pretty bad due to daily usage. Furntiure shopping is a big PITA (those of you with wives know exactly what I mean).

Anyway, I don't wanna go with another leather sofa. Anyone have that micro fiber material? It looks real nice when it's new, but I'm real sceptical about how it'll look in a couple of years. The sales people try to sell the coating for it that's supposed to prevent the material from getting stained. Just want to get some thoughts before I make a purchase.

Thanks.
HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
Post edited by Early B. on

Comments

• zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited December 2006
    In regards to Durapella or micro fiber, make sure you get the coating. And if you have pets, look elsewhere. A stain is not just any stain on one of these couches. Care and maintenance are your words for the day. Other than that, I love 'em -- both for their look and the way they feel.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • shepx2
    shepx2 Posts: 646
    edited December 2006
    As far as brands go, I swear by Flexsteel. Most folks I know who have owned one love it, myself included. Our set has been through 7 moves, and still looks great!!
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited December 2006
    Why do you say pets are a bad match for the microfiber couches? Do you mainly mean messy dogs when you say this?
  • Poee7R
    Poee7R Posts: 904
    edited December 2006
    Shizelbs wrote:
    Why do you say pets are a bad match for the microfiber couches? Do you mainly mean messy dogs when you say this?

I dont know if Zombie's reasons are the same as mine, but we have a newer microfiber couch and two dogs that we dont allow on the couch. But i would swear they get on it when we arent around and roll around intentionally to get hair allover it. Great couch but it seems to attract every bit of dog hair in the house and hoard it.

My wife uses a lint roll thing to remove it but its time consuming and quite annoying. Haha anyone want some dogs?

Dave
    Once again we meet at last.
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited December 2006
    Ive had a microfiber couch for a little over 2 years and not only is it the most comfortable couch ive ever owned but it is quite easy to keep clean. I've splilled soda and beer on it and i take a wet rag and wipe it down and its good as new. Good luck with your purchase.
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited December 2006
    Bred,,good luck with the shopping,,I recently did the same,,my wife is convinced that I have the attention span of a Knat.
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited December 2006
    Shizelbs wrote:

Right out of college, I repossesed furniture to keep employed while looking at career options. Micro-fiber and Durapella couches were nearly always trashed as a result of pets (either large or small), children, and improper care. All other couches seemed to possess a bit more immunity to neglect and abuse. Granted this speaks more of the homes they were coming out of...

That being said, I am sure that a well-maintained and cared-for microfiber couch will look stellar for many years. And I agree... they are probably the most comfortable pieces of furniture out there.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore