LP storage racks

TroyD
TroyD Posts: 13,077
edited January 2007 in The Clubhouse
I'm in the market for a bookcase type affair to store my LPs so I can have my closet back. What you guys using? Suggestions??

BDT
I plan for the future. - F1Nut
Post edited by TroyD on

Comments

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited December 2006
    I use a homeless dude named Rick but he becomes a problem when he starts having flashbacks about the "Nam".
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited December 2006
    I can't believe nobody has offered up opinions on a "audiophile approved" record storage rack/cabinet.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited December 2006
    I used to use milk crates. I took the milk out first though because I thought it might make everything soggy and could start to smell bad eventually.

But then the records got moved to plastic bags and put in vinyl cases and put in storage. My dad's LP collection is housed in a cherry wood case specially built for the LPs. He built it himself and it also has compartments for CD's and his myriad of cassette tapes which contain everything from music to recordings of me and my siblings from when we were very young.

I know it doesn't offer much help but that's what I'm using and what he is using. Nothing "audiophile" about it. Just real nice work on a case that is totally unique. Looks good too next to the cherry wood pedestal he built for the stereo. I keep trying to convince him to refinish the KLH Model 6's in cherry veneer, finished to match and to put them on stands. I even found a nice beige speaker cloth with a woven, gold pattern that would look very nice but he keeps telling me he has too many other projects to finish up first. Ah well, to each his own. He did build me a pair of matching, solid mahogany nightstands for Christmas last year and wouldn't at least let me pay him for the materials.

I'm going to see if I can't convince him to build a nice stand for me for the Carvers and all thier gear when I get them.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited December 2006
    Shoot, I'm using old milk crates and boxes until I get around to building something...
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited December 2006
    Check this out Troy. Fairly affordable and configuarable the way you want them:

http://tonyswoodshop.com/
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited December 2006
    Here's what I need:

vinyl_full.jpg
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    edited December 2006
    Here are some units I've been eyeballing at Audio Advisor. Personally I think they are a little pricey, but it seems like they would work well.

Base

Add on

EDIT: Just stumbled upon these thanks to Google. These seem pretty nice for the $.

Gothic Cabinet Craft
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited December 2006
    !'ve been using milk crates since the 60s. They must still be good cause now you can actually buy them (as opposed to stealing them from the back of the grocery store).
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • avguytx
    avguytx Posts: 1,628
    edited December 2006
    Here's what I am going to get. They make it in 3 different sizes and various colors. One of my friends has the 2nd largest one and it look awesome and holds a ton! Hopefully you have an Ikea close by...or you can get it shipped. It's like it was made perfectly for vinyl.
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?.................................Sinner.
  • candyliquor35m
    candyliquor35m Posts: 2,267
    edited January 2007
    This thread inspired me to seriously think about a rack for my albums and one popped up today at the thrift store. I just hope I never fill it up :D

Next purchase has to be some album covers.