The Power of a Photograph

strider
strider Posts: 2,568
edited December 2006 in The Clubhouse
From the Picture of the Year contest. This one had tears welling up in my eyes at my desk. There are some other great ones on here, definitley worth looking around.

http://www.poy.org/63/11/02.php
Wristwatch--->Crisco
Post edited by strider on

Comments

• PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited December 2006
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited December 2006
    I guess there were no good pictures taken ALL year of anything positive or beautiful.:rolleyes:

I'm sick of the media.

What depressed bunch of freaks got to vote for this???:confused:
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited December 2006
    I saw this one before, it's quite touching.
    Carl

• Mazeroth
    Mazeroth Posts: 1,585
    edited December 2006
    Noel, you're absolutely right. Although some of those were great most of them were pretty depressing. I never watch the daily news and only read a few articles in the paper at work.

Too much negative and not enough focusing on what's good.
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,667
    edited December 2006
    A wretched soul, bruised with adversity,
    We bid be quiet when we hear it cry;
    But were we burdened with like weight of pain,
    As much or more we should ourselves complain.

....I think that's why those photographs won awards.
    Sal Palooza
  • Poee7R
    Poee7R Posts: 904
    edited December 2006
    Damn that is rough to digest.

Dave
    Once again we meet at last.
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited December 2006
    ND13 wrote:
    I guess there were no good pictures taken ALL year of anything positive or beautiful.:rolleyes:

I'm sick of the media.

You couldn't be more wrong.
    A love so powerful and a bond so strong that a wife wishes to spend one last night with her husband. Can you imagine ever being loved that deeply? That picture is beautiful for what it says.

As a former Marine the winning picture holds special meaning for me. Put on the uniform and walk a mile in combat boots...you're perspective will most certainly change.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited December 2006
    That first picture got me choked up too.

Not only the woman wanting to sleep next to her husband one last time but the Marine that stood watch all night long. Just further evidence that our troops are the best and brightest and a cut above the rest of us civillians.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited December 2006
    Well I say the pictures chocked me up some, but YES I agree with Noel on this one...

ND13 wrote:

I'm sick of the media.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited December 2006
    I agree with what you folks are saying. The problem is our sick damn society begs for that type of stuff and the media delivers. Go figure.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • starchaser
    starchaser Posts: 354
    edited December 2006
    semper fi
    "There's a lot of places driving up and down I-95 that smell like ****" F1Nut
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited December 2006
    Powerful picture of the wife spending one last night next to her deceased Marine husband.

On a side note.. did the photographer have the right to photograph such a private moment? I assume he was not invited inside.. did he sneak inside? Whatever the circumstances... did he have the right to invade her private time with her deceased husband?

I only ask this.. because I sometimes am put in the same situation. I am a media photogapher.. I have to make decisions like this some times. Where does the media cross the line and invade someone's privacy or space?

Also.. had no one snapped that photograph.. the world would have missed a great photograph. Think about it before you respond.

thanks, AL
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • strider
    edited December 2006
    While some of the images are graphic, I think it's important to note that the judges were mostly other professional photographers, which I feel is a bit different then the institution known as the "media". IMO a good photograph is one that elicits emotion, wether good or bad. I have to agree with Frank Z.'s assesment of this picture. I can't decide which is more touching, the wife's refusal to leave her partner's side, or the Marine's commitment to his brother in arms.

Danger Boy- This picture is the second place photo in it's catagory, the first place photo was by the same photgrapher and of the same subject. This leads me to believe he was covering the story at the request of, or at least with the permission of, the Marine's family.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited December 2006
    Frank Z wrote:
    You couldn't be more wrong.
    A love so powerful and a bond so strong that a wife wishes to spend one last night with her husband. Can you imagine ever being loved that deeply? That picture is beautiful for what it says.

As a former Marine the winning picture holds special meaning for me. Put on the uniform and walk a mile in combat boots...you're perspective will most certainly change.

Hey...I'm a Veteran too and I was also referring to ALL the pictures, with not a single positive or beautiful thing that this earth or it's inhabitants have/has to offer or do. I did think that the picture of the Marine and his wife was very touching. I just think that there HAD to be at least ONE picture, that could have gotten an award for something, other than war, famine or disease portrayed in it.

All I'm asking for is for someone to recognize what is still positive and beautiful in this world with at least one picture in the POY Awards.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • Frank Z
    edited December 2006
    Please don't mistake my comments as a personnal attack, that wasn't my intent.

Based on the sponsorship and history of the contest, I don't think these folks are the flowers and rainbows crowd.

http://www.poy.org/63/archive.html
  • ledhed
    ledhed Posts: 1,088
    edited December 2006
    What all did the contest include? Was it just journalistic photography or art photography too? It is a very touching image and a great journalism piece, but in my opinion, it is not a very good art photograph.
    Just curious about the rules/requirements of the contest.
    God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. - Romans 5:8
  • strider
    edited December 2006
    Seemed to be mostly journalistic photos. The home page is http://www.poy.org There is a page that has the rules and judges, etc on there.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • ledhed
    ledhed Posts: 1,088
    edited December 2006
    strider wrote:
    Seemed to be mostly journalistic photos. The home page is http://www.poy.org There is a page that has the rules and judges, etc on there.

Yup, just journalism
    God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. - Romans 5:8
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited December 2006
    danger boy wrote:
    Powerful picture of the wife spending one last night next to her deceased Marine husband.

On a side note.. did the photographer have the right to photograph such a private moment? I assume he was not invited inside.. did he sneak inside? Whatever the circumstances... did he have the right to invade her private time with her deceased husband?

I doubt it. If he'd been a slime ball and snuck into the funeral home without permission, Im sure that one of America's finest standing watch all night (that still chokes me up) wouldve gladly jerked a knot in his ****, and stuck him head first and **** deep into a wall somewhere.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Frank Z
    edited December 2006
    The two photos by the winning photographer are part of an extensive article. He was granted permission by the family.
    To our readers

Rocky Mountain News reporter Jim Sheeler and photographer Todd Heisler spent the past year with the Marines stationed at Aurora's Buckley Air Force Base who have found themselves called upon to notify families of the deaths of their sons in Iraq. In each case in this story, the families agreed to let Sheeler and Heisler chronicle their loss and grief. They wanted people to know their sons, the men and women who brought them home, and the bond of traditions more than 200 years old that unite them.

Though readers are led through the story by the white-gloved hand of Maj. Steve Beck, he remains a reluctant hero. He is, he insists, only a small part of the massive mosaic that is the Marine Corps.

For the entire article....

This is a tear-jerker folks, but I doubt you'll be able to stop reading once you start.
    http://denver.rockymountainnews.com/news/finalSalute/