Klaus @ Odyssey, Customer Service

VR3
VR3 Posts: 28,567
edited December 2006 in The Clubhouse
Alright, Im venting - slightly I suppose...

Let me start out with saying, that overall I am not a very big phone person - I think over the phone its a very forgettable experience... you arnt really doing much except talking to a voice representing an individual that you happen to be conversing with - and while I understand that Klaus himself as an older gentleman isnt 100A% computer savy.

And with this in mind, Klaus as a whole is a great guy. An incredibly knowledgeable guy that is great to talk to. His accent is somewhat hard to understand, but he offers a 20 year warranty with his product, even 2nd hand...

And with these thoughts in mind, I love his products and when its over I will have spent about 2-3 thousand dollars with him and his company, possibly more. Who knows.

And being around sales quite often, anytime a customer spends well into that thousand range I personally like to make sure they are satisfied.

And while I understand Klaus's preference is for phone - due to his busy schedule... I have emailed him about 8 times over the past 7-8 months about the Candela preamp he released. I sent him about 5 or 6 things I need for this unit to contain... and all I am asking for is a ball park estimate, wrote down that I can go by - maybe he might upsale me a hundred bucks or so at the time of the actual sale. However, I want a ball park figure. He could just throw a number out there - its really all I want from Klaus....

Klaus has not emailed me back once regarding this preamp which is going to be a 1200-1500 dollar purchase... and to me this just dosnt make much sense.

Now, while Im pretty sure in the end Ill end up buying from Klaus, right now as a customer, Im really dissapointed and Ive tried in this last email Ive sent that I need a price, written, for me to see, to digest, to go back on in 2 months and say this is what I will need to spend to get a Candela preamp to my door.. and like I said if he needs a buck or two more, w/e....

Now I dont really know the purpose of this thread, its 2am and I just got out of a meeting that was 5 hours long - and one of the things we touched base on was Customer Service, and I know for a fact if I blatantly ignored a customer on a 1500 or so dollar garunteed sale, I would most likely not keep my job very long...

Anyways, Im done blabbing...

Goodnight
- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
Post edited by VR3 on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited December 2006
    Pick up the phone already.

Email is NOT reliable. Snail mail is, how many bills paid, not one late in my 34 years? Spam filters, etc etc.

CALL him. If you had picked up the phone already, and made a 5 minute call, there is a greater chance than zero that this thread would not exist.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • VR3
    edited December 2006
    I dont need to call him, there is nothing he can tell me over the phone that can be transferred to paper...

I want an email that is 4 characters long, maybe 5 if he uses a comma...

I want a number, wrote down - period... dosnt even have to explain and I want to be able to come back in a month, two months and see where we are at...

Now when Im ready to buy, Ill waste Klaus's time on the phone for 30 minutes to a hour... no real reason until then. Hes a busy guy that loves to talk....

No other company seems to have this problem.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,428
    edited December 2006
    I'm with Russ, stop being a butt head and make the damn phone call.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• W WALDECKER
    W WALDECKER Posts: 900
    edited December 2006
    Klaus never answers his E-mail and it takes him forever to update his website but if you call him and tell him exactly what you want and tell him that you need to know how much it is going to cost, you will get a answer.thanks....WCW III
    Rogue Audio stereo 100 tube amplifier - Lector Zoe preamplifier with 6H30 pi's
    .Audience AU24SE speaker and ic cables- Chord Qutest DAC - Black Cat Silverstar II 75ohm digital cable-Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Signature system with large bass cabinets to accommodate 10" Seas magnesium woofers.2xhmpsuownoj.jpg
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited December 2006
    Call him,,I just spoke with him yesterday regarding my order,seems that he has been backordered on some parts(piltron transformers) and it has caused a delay,at least in amplifiers.he has NEVER answered any of my e-mails,but is easily reached by phone,always cordial and seems very sincere,so, make the phone call,you won't regret it. :)
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited December 2006
    By all means Sid, be backwards compatible & flexible & pick up the damn phone!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited December 2006
    call between 3-4 est today, do you need his cell # ?
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited December 2006
    I am in agreement here as well with making the call. I called a guy in Texas the other day (looking to purchase something) and the guy is calling me back today. The deal will be done in about 15 minutes. The e-mail thing may take days.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited December 2006
    Yeah, for sure give him a call. But, I understand your frustration. If he lists email as a form of contact and never replies to them, that's not good business practice by today's standards. Suggest to him that he remove his email address from the site.
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited December 2006
    When buying or selling something of that magnitude, I prefer the PHONE.

Trey,

Give the old guy a break. Not everyone likes or cares to use a computer to communicate.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited December 2006
    I have emailed him about 8 times over the past 7-8 months ....

Klaus has not emailed me back once regarding this preamp...

So why do you keep sending emails? :confused:
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,160
    edited December 2006
    Personally I much prefer e-mail. It's quick, convienant (sp) and easy to organize, but just because I like it doesn't mean everyone does. I'm sure he gets a butt load of e-mails and it's much easier to put them off or just plain forget to answer them. Whereas a phone call is much harder to put off. If he's not responding to e-mail don't chastise him just pick up the phone. Interaction of this type is done much better over the phone than e-mail.

Between texting and e-mail we are losing all that human contact which can be so important. E-mail is great don't get me wrong but sometimes it's better to talk
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • VR3
    edited December 2006
    Guys, I understand what you are saying... and if I was ready to purchase - Id call him.

Ive talked to Klaus 3-4 times and everytime it was over 30-45 minutes at a time. He has alot to say...

And when I am ready buy - Ill give him a call... to me - getting an estimate for a product isnt worth calling about...an estimate is something that should be wrote down - but thats me...
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,160
    edited December 2006
    I guess worry about it in March or April when you are ready to buy. Lot's of things could change between now and then.

Just my 0.02c
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited December 2006
    Guys, I understand what you are saying... and if I was ready to purchase - Id call him.

Ive talked to Klaus 3-4 times and everytime it was over 30-45 minutes at a time. He has alot to say...

And when I am ready buy - Ill give him a call... to me - getting an estimate for a product isnt worth calling about...an estimate is something that should be wrote down - but thats me...

Apparently you don't want that estimate bad enough to pick up the phone. If it's not important to you, then leave it alone. There's nothing to be frustrated about, especially if you're not ready to make a purchase.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited December 2006
    Rock on Sid, you want it written down, smart kid. Klaus is smart too, however, his world has changed and so has mine, iiiiiickkkkkk, paypal preferred.

RT1
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited December 2006
    and so has mine, iiiiiickkkkkk, paypal preferred.

RT1

Say it ain't so:(
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited December 2006
    just kidding ZB:D
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited December 2006
    just kidding ZB:D

Whew!!!

I was waiting for the seas to boil over and the rivers to run with blood:D
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • MrNightly
    MrNightly Posts: 3,370
    edited December 2006
    Is there a point to this thread?!

If you want something, just pick up the phone and find out. Write it down on the paper, with the exact date and time you called, and what you spoke about. If you are afraid he isn't going to honor his spoken word, what makes you think that he'll honor a written word either?

Like Cathy said, you are upset he hasn't bended and responded to your email.. how about you bend a little and pick up the phone and call him? This mutual bending works wonders, especially in relationships further down the road in life...
    Honoured to be, an original SOPA founding member
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    SVS PB12-NSD/2 - sub :D:D:D
    Denon 3805
    Rotel RB-985 5-Channel Amplifier

• ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited December 2006
    some people just arent email people, plain and simple. where as some other people are best talked to via email. depends on the person and the situation. I see Trey's reasons for a **** fest, but it wont change the fact that Klaus just dont do the email.

I think he does business the way he wants to do business, and whatever level of business it is, then so be it. Could he change his ways and grow the business? sure, probably, but if he dont want to do it, then he aint gonna do it.

gotta take the good with the bad with him, and from what I hear, there's alot of good.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • BlueMDPicker
    edited December 2006
    Let's all email him and tell him we're very disappointed with his level of customer service. :D

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited December 2006
    Let's all email him and tell him we're very disappointed with his level of customer service. :D

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!

I just showed him this thread. He said something about dishonest and unreasonable, but I couldn't make out the rest.
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited December 2006
    Klaus vs Kraken
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited December 2006
    PolkThug wrote:
    I just showed him this thread. He said something about dishonest and unreasonable, but I couldn't make out the rest.

yay!!!!...........
    looks like Club Polk members will get a +20% d*ushbag surcharge. great, good job Trey!!!! :D
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited December 2006
    Eh...

This guy sounds like an old man. No excuse, but I understand why he's not up to par with the email thing.

Call him, give him your name and contact number and tell him what you want. Have him fax/email/mail you a quote. It's not hard. People call our business everyday looking for quotes. I get emails as well for quotes, but they all end up with a phone call at the end no matter what.

Your gripe is legitimate, but this is one of those things not worth losing sleep over. :)
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited December 2006
    Who cares, buy something else.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • BlueMDPicker
    edited December 2006
    dorokusai wrote:
    Who cares, buy something else.
    Or, just wait a few weeks for Hoosier21. ;)
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited December 2006
    Klaus vs Kraken

Did someone say release the Kraken????

kraken.jpg
    Carl

• schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited December 2006
    Let's see if he answers email now!!!!

BTW Trey, call him.