JL,Polk or Infinty for Subs?

Polkemon
Polkemon Posts: 144
edited December 2006 in Car Audio & Electronics
I am sure this is not going to go over well but would the Infinty Perfect 10.1 or the Polk SR 10" or 10w6/7 be the best for SQ?
NEWEST RIDE:
2006 Silver Jaguar XKR Coupe with factory BBS 20" and upgraded Brembo Brakes from factory....
Supercharger Pully Upgrade
Air Intake
Mina Exhaust System....

2007 Chevy Tahoe (Daily Driver):
Front Doors POLK sr6500
Amp front JL 450/4
Amp Sub JL 500/1
Sub JL 10w6

(Work Trucks)
2005 Mercury Mountaineer Premier 4.6L V-8
All Stock!!! In the process of changing this.

2002 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 Crew Cab 6.6L Diesel
Post edited by Polkemon on

Comments

• Greg Peters
    Greg Peters Posts: 605
    edited December 2006
    Polkemon wrote:
    I am sure this is not going to go over well but would the Infinty Perfect 10.1 or the Polk SR 10" or 10w6/7 be the best for SQ?

The Infinity subs don't have as bad a reputation as their comps/coax brethren- probably not the worst sub to buy if you want low cost SQ.

The SR104 is supposed to be a nice blend of great sound quality and great output.

The JL 10W6v2 is a great sounding sub, but not a real high output one (unless you port it and give up some of that SQ). The 10W7 is a higher output woofer than the W6, and some say it does so at the cost of some sound quality compared to the W6. Expect to pay more for a higher output amp to do it justice if you decide on a W7. Both the JL subs you mentioned are quite a bit more expensive (especially if bought "authorized" through a JL dealer), probably too expensive for what you get.

You've ranked the four choices in ascending order according to price. I'd say the Infinity is good "bang for buck", but not as great SQ-wise as the Polk SR104 or JL's 10W6v2. If you are paying retail (or close to it) I'd do the Polk SR over the others you've mentioned. I'd also look at Image Dynamics and Arc Audio offerings as well.

I currently run a 10W6v2 sealed (and am happy with it's SQ), but I'm considering swapping it out for either the SR104 or SR124 to run in a different sealed enclosure. Based on the reviews I've seen, I'd get comparable sound quality with better output by making the switch to Polk SR subs. From experience with the SR components, I'd say you could buy one with confidence knowing the SQ will be great.
  • Polkemon
    Polkemon Posts: 144
    edited December 2006
    Thanks for your great break down! I have a set of the sr6500 in another truck of mine and am very very happy with them as well since I am not a fan of harsh tweets and this is what got my thought on the sr subs.

Thanks again
    Donny
    NEWEST RIDE:
    2006 Silver Jaguar XKR Coupe with factory BBS 20" and upgraded Brembo Brakes from factory....
    Supercharger Pully Upgrade
    Air Intake
    Mina Exhaust System....

2007 Chevy Tahoe (Daily Driver):
    Front Doors POLK sr6500
    Amp front JL 450/4
    Amp Sub JL 500/1
    Sub JL 10w6

(Work Trucks)
    2005 Mercury Mountaineer Premier 4.6L V-8
    All Stock!!! In the process of changing this.

2002 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 Crew Cab 6.6L Diesel
  • killerb
    killerb Posts: 390
    edited December 2006
    im running 2 sr124-dvc's powered by a massive audio 1500 watt amp and they sound awsome!! before i had a 12w7 and the polks sound better in every way. they have a sound similar to the 12w6, but with more output due to the increased power handleing. also check out the alpine type-x. they also sound awsome.
    kenwood excelon kdc-x991 h.u.
    Rockford Fosgate 360.3 DSP
    Rockford Fosgate POWER1000 running entire system
    Image Dynamics IDQ12 Sub
    Morel Elate 6 front stage