SR124 Amp and Enclosure

mamomark
mamomark Posts: 2
Anyone have any advice for a well matched amp and enclosure for one of Polk's sr124 svc subs?
Post edited by mamomark on

Comments

• Greg Peters
    Greg Peters Posts: 605
    edited December 2006
    All of the SR 10" and 12" subs are rated at 700 watts rms, regardless of voice coil configuration.

If you are intending to run only one subwoofer, the SR104/SR124 SVC subs are optimized at 700 watts rms (4 ohm). This means you need to look at an amp that puts out between 500-700 watts rms at 4 ohms...pricey.

If you intend to maybe add a second sub (at a later time), look for something that puts out 1000-1400 watts rms stable at 2 ohms and run your single sub off of that until you add the second sub.

If only one sub is to be in the cards, I'd suggest getting a DVC sub (that would present a 2 ohm load) and then find an amplifier that puts out 500-700 watts rms stable at 2 ohms...a little easier to find, and easier on the wallet.

As far as enclosure, I believe they are optimized for sealed boxes on the smaller end of the spectrum. Use
    Polk's recommended (.88 cubic feet net for SR104, 1.2 cubic feet net for SR124) and you can't go too far wrong. It's probably best to build a custom enclosure specific for either woofer.
  • mamomark
    mamomark Posts: 2
    edited December 2006
    Thanks Greg! I noticed a white paper about the sr speakers on Polk's site not long after I posted. It mentioned an optimal enclosure size range that includes your suggested volume. It made no mention of the amp power range you suggest, or any other for that matter, so I thank you again for that info as well. I have enough 1" mdf left from an earlier project to make an enclosure. Now all I need is that high power amp you suggest at a price I can afford. Pricey is an understatement!!!! Thanks again!
  • rollerman4221
    rollerman4221 Posts: 3
    edited May 2007
    I just got a 10 inch SR DVC and its running off the polk 500.1 and in a sealed box thats .86 and my sub hits hard, it even catches the low notes which is surprising for such a small sealed box, but it definetly gets it done.
  • rollerman4221
    rollerman4221 Posts: 3
    edited May 2007
    sry if my above message threw you off, i just meant to say a 500.1 from polk will do it for you, and follow polks sugestions on the small box.
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited May 2007
    Probably already got something for it, this post was from last year. :eek:
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin