President Gerald R. Ford has died.

shack
shack Posts: 11,154
edited December 2006 in The Clubhouse
Former President Gerald Ford dies at 93 . Even though he was never elected as President, I thought he did a great job at a time when the nation needed someone like him. Honest and no BS. We need more like him. Rest in Peace President Ford.

capt.ny11812270504.obit_gerald_ford_ny118.jpg
"Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
Post edited by shack on

Comments

• schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited December 2006
    RIP. He unjustly had the stink of the Nixon Watergate hanging over him. He was defeated by Jimmy Carter in 1976. We would have been better off with Mr. Ford.
    Carl

• Danny Tse
    Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
    edited December 2006
    I recently saw a PBS documentary on President Ford and came away thinking he was a honest and good man.

RIP President Ford
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,428
    edited December 2006
    I agree, Danny.

RIP
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• starchaser
    starchaser Posts: 354
    edited December 2006
    President Ford serve this country well. RIP
    "There's a lot of places driving up and down I-95 that smell like ****" F1Nut
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited December 2006
    I couldn't believe it when he lost to that traitor Jimmy Carter. He did one of the most courageous things a man in public office could ever do. That was to pardon Richard Nixon. Despite the joke about him being clumsey he was had it on the ball. I thought his WIP pins were a little goofy but other then that he was a good an honest president.
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited December 2006
    Very sad to hear.
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited December 2006
    All we do is hear things in the media up here. Seemed like a decent man. RIP Mr. F.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited December 2006
    shack wrote:
    Former President Gerald Ford dies at 93 . Even though he was never elected as President, I thought he did a great job at a time when the nation needed someone like him. Honest and no BS. We need more like him. Rest in Peace President Ford.

capt.ny11812270504.obit_gerald_ford_ny118.jpg

Damn it Shack you beat me to it this time. I'll get you Little Mr. :p
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Polkersince85
    Polkersince85 Posts: 2,883
    edited December 2006
    President Ford was one of the last good ones. He looked and acted like a president. He had to make a lot of tough decisions quick. Besides, he give us all a 275 dollar tax rebate:D America should be proud of him.
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited December 2006
    We are losing all of our political Patriots. Sad to see...we NEED more politicians with his ideology.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited December 2006
    ND13 wrote:
    We are losing all of our political Patriots. Sad to see...we NEED more politicians with his ideology.
    He was the consummate compromiser for the good of the country. He said he never really wanted to be President, but he would do the very best job he could. In a recent interview he said he was saddend by the extreme polarization of BOTH political parties. He was the proof that the words GOOD and POLITICIAN are not necessarily oxymorons. Some President Ford quotes:
    "Truth is the glue that holds government together. Compromise is the oil that makes governments go."
    "If the government is big enough to give you everything you want, it is big enough to take away everything you have."
    "In all my public and private acts as your president, I expect to follow my instincts of openness and candor with full confidence that honesty is always the best policy in the end."
    The thing that probably cost him a second "elected" term as President (and he probably knew that it would)...but it was the RIGHT thing to do.
    "There are no historic or legal precedents to which I can turn in this matter, none that precisely fit the circumstances of a private citizen who has resigned the presidency of the United States.

Many months and perhaps more years will have to pass before Richard Nixon could hope to obtain a fair trial by jury . . . But it is not the ultimate fate of Richard Nixon that most concerns me . . . but the immediate future of this great country.

Now, therefore, I, Gerald R. Ford, president of the United States . . . have granted and do grant a full, free and absolute pardon unto Richard Nixon for all offenses against the United States which he has committed or may have committed or taken part in during the period from January 20, 1969 through August 9, 1974.

It can go on and on, or someone must write "The End" to it. I have concluded that only I can do that. And if I can, I must."

You are right Noel...we need more like him.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited December 2006
    In reading the news stories this morning, I learned a lot of things that I didn't know about President Ford. In school, he's one that you just kind of skip over: You learn he was appointed V.P. by Nixon, became president when Nixon resigned, pardoned Nixon, was president at the close of the Vietnam war, and then was defeated by Carter in the '76 election. I learned little about his character or background, in school, compared to many other past presidents. I mean, the SNL skits... I didn't know he played center for Michigan on their national championship football teams in '32 and '33.

I was 7 years old in 1976, and so that was the first Presidential election that I actually remember. My parents couldn't stand Gerald Ford... Seems like a pretty good guy, to me.

RIP

Jason
  • cubdog
    cubdog Posts: 835
    edited December 2006
    RIP President Ford.

cubdog
    Shuguang Classic S8MK
    Emotiva XDA-2
    Bel Canto M300 mono blocks
    Bel Canto DAC 1.5
    Squeezebox Touch
    Sony SS-M7
    A/D/S L710
  • Mike682
    Mike682 Posts: 2,074
    edited December 2006
    Rest in peace President Ford
    Receiver: harmankardon AVR235
    Mains: polk R30
    Center: polk CSi3
    Rear Surrounds: polk R20
    Subwoofer: polk PSW404
    DVD: Panasonic DVD-S29
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited December 2006
    Two down, one more to go. These things usually happen in three's, right?
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited December 2006
    jcaut wrote:
    In reading the news stories this morning, I learned a lot of things that I didn't know about President Ford. In school, he's one that you just kind of skip over: You learn he was appointed V.P. by Nixon, became president when Nixon resigned, pardoned Nixon, was president at the close of the Vietnam war, and then was defeated by Carter in the '76 election. I learned little about his character or background, in school, compared to many other past presidents. I mean, the SNL skits... I didn't know he played center for Michigan on their national championship football teams in '32 and '33.

I was 7 years old in 1976, and so that was the first Presidential election that I actually remember. My parents couldn't stand Gerald Ford... Seems like a pretty good guy, to me.

RIP

Jason

He turned down a pick by the Green Bay Packers!