The Godfather of Soul, James Brown is dead at 73

danger boy
danger boy Posts: 15,722
edited December 2006 in The Clubhouse
James Brown, the dynamic, pompadoured "Godfather of Soul," whose rasping vocals and revolutionary rhythms made him a founder of rap, funk and disco as well, died early Monday, his agent said. He was 73.

Brown was hospitalized with pneumonia at Emory Crawford Long Hospital on Sunday and died around 1:45 a.m. Monday, said his agent, Frank Copsidas of Intrigue Music. Longtime friend Charles Bobbit was by his side, he said

Copsidas said Brown's family was being notified of his death and that the cause was still uncertain. "We really don't know at this point what he died of," he said.

Along with Elvis Presley, Bob Dylan and a handful of others, Brown was one of the major musical influences of the past 50 years. At least one generation idolized him, and sometimes openly copied him. His rapid-footed dancing inspired Mick Jagger and Michael Jackson among others. Songs such as David Bowie's "Fame," Prince's "Kiss," George Clinton's "Atomic Dog" and Sly and the Family Stone's "Sing a Simple Song" were clearly based on Brown's rhythms and vocal style.

If Brown's claim to the invention of soul can be challenged by fans of Ray Charles and Sam Cooke, then his rights to the genres of rap, disco and funk are beyond question. He was to rhythm and dance music what Dylan was to lyrics: the unchallenged popular innovator.

"James presented obviously the best grooves," rapper Chuck D of Public Enemy once told The Associated Press. "To this day, there has been no one near as funky. No one's coming even close."

His hit singles include such classics as "Out of Sight,""(Get Up I Feel Like Being a) Sex Machine,""I Got You (I Feel Good)" and "Say It Out Loud - I'm Black and I'm Proud," a landmark 1968 statement of racial pride.
PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
Post edited by danger boy on

Comments

• Danny Tse
    Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
    edited December 2006
    I feel....not so good. Overcome with sadness.

RIP
  • ESavinon
    ESavinon Posts: 3,066
    edited December 2006
    We keep loosing the great ones. RIP James Brown.
    SRT For Life; SDA Forever!

The SRT SEISMIC System:
    Four main satellite speakers, six powered subs, two dedicated for LFE channel, two center speakers for over/under screen placement and three Control Centers. Amaze your friends, terrorize your neighbors, seize the audio bragging rights for your state. Go ahead, buy it; you only go around once.
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited December 2006
    The end of the begining. God speed...
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited December 2006
    Sad news indeed. RIP
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited December 2006
    Damn... May the originator of "the one" RIP...

Live at the Apollo is a classic.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited December 2006
    James Brown was, by far, the most influential entertainer of the past 50 years. Along with his incredible band, he created two great music genres. No one can even come close to the contribution he has made to American music.

RIP.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited December 2006
    Baby please don't go.......

RIP Godfather of Soul
  • Polkersince85
    Polkersince85 Posts: 2,883
    edited December 2006
    Papa got a brand new Bag. I just saw him this weekend at the toy giveaway here in Augusta. Love him or hate him, he was one of catalysts for music as we know it. I can still remember him DJing on the radio here..."Ha this is Jaaaaames Brown WRDW Augusta Gawga" RIP

Here's a good writeup
    http://my.earthlink.net/article/top?guid=20061225/458f5ad0_3421_133452006122511032301
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited December 2006
    The man certainly made his mark.

R.I.P.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited December 2006
    The man contributed a lot. RIP Mr. B.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited December 2006
    The man demanded perfection from his band at al times..

to Go on Christmas....

R.I.P.
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited December 2006
    Some of the first records that I bought as a kid were James Brown. "Please, Please, Please", "Night Train", Prisoner of Love", "I got You", "Papa's Got a Brand New Bag" are all in my collection. RIP JB, thanks for everything you did for R&B music!!!
    Carl

• Libertyc
    Libertyc Posts: 915
    edited December 2006
    RIP James Brown.
  • POLKOHOLIC
    POLKOHOLIC Posts: 407
    edited December 2006
  • capecodder
    capecodder Posts: 613
    edited December 2006
    Early B. wrote:
    James Brown was, by far, the most influential entertainer of the past 50 years. RIP.

Debatable, but.....

I won't be the one to do the debating. Huge talent and presense. Not always on the right side of morality OR the law but what an influence.

We'll miss you James and the world will be just a little bit less hip. RIP
  • joeaudio26
    joeaudio26 Posts: 97
    edited December 2006
    DAM son you are like CNN...his style of singing was something just don't know what? RIP ...
    Whatsoever thy handfindeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is nor work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest.
  • Polkapops
    Polkapops Posts: 267
    edited December 2006
    Definitely another great one gone...........
    HT & Music System:
    Receiver - Denon AVR-3805
    DVD/SACD Player - Denon DVD-2900
    Outlaw 770 amp
    Polk LSi 15's up front
    Polk LSiC center
    Polk LSi F/X surrounds
    SVS 16-46 PC+ Subwoofer
    Sony Wega KDF-50WE655
  • starchaser
    starchaser Posts: 354
    edited December 2006
    R.I.P. James.
    "There's a lot of places driving up and down I-95 that smell like ****" F1Nut
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited December 2006
    Tour2ma wrote:
    Damn... May the originator of "the one" RIP...

Live at the Apollo is a classic.

Hearing him gradually win over that crowd in almost a church revival fashion is one of the most pleasurable experiences in audio. Hearing a single high-pitched scream and swoon, followed by the laughter of the crowd -- the restraint and release of the whole experience -- is nothing short of perfection.

RIP
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • Polkersince85
    edited December 2006
    Here's his official site:
    http://www.godfatherofsoul.com/man/

He held on to the rights to his songs until a few years ago. Sold the rights for $80 million. Papa needed a Big bag.
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,160
    edited December 2006
    One of the "true legends" in music. I was saddened to hear of his passing. The man could get a groove on like no one else. Absolutely astounding the funk and soul he created. He certainly had is troubles over the course of his life but that never ever detracted from his contributions. I don't believe until very recently he got proper recognition for the tremendous contributions he made to modern music.

I just saw him on the U.K. Hall of Fame induction ceremony and he tore it up!

RIP.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited December 2006
    I love the fact that he would fine his horn section for a dropped note.
    As loose as it all seemed, it was stunning perfection in its execution.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited December 2006
    joeaudio26 wrote:
    DAM son you are like CNN...his style of singing was something just don't know what? RIP ...

hell no.. i beat CNN with this news. :p
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • heiney9
    edited December 2006
    It's ironic that I made a new compliation disc for the car and until now I had never put any JB on any of them. Just last week I added "Sex Machine" and "I Got You" to my arsenal of car tunes. Caught myself just last week jumping and bouncing a bit in the car when these tunes were playing :)......and now he's gone :( .

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited December 2006
    HOT PANTS!!! Nice write up DB. . . I've always loved JB. . . RIP Brother>
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited December 2006
    To anyone in love with his funk standards, you owe it to yourself to check out his earlier R&B offerings (which I always felt a greater affinity towards)

Try Me and Please, Please, Please come to mind
  • heiney9
    edited December 2006
    I own and highly recommend

"Live at the Apollo"
    "Star Time" box set
    "20 All-Time Greatest Hits" Polydor version

Live at the Apollo is a must have/desert island selection, and the other 2 give a good representation of his career, especially the 4-cd "Star Time" set.

H9
  • Polkersince85
    edited December 2006
    We have a life size bronze statue of him at the downtown Riverwalk in Augusta. He believed in helping the local children and every year gave out turkeys at Thanksgiving and toys to the kids at Christmas.
    >
    >
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited December 2006
    We have a life size bronze statue of him at the downtown Riverwalk in Augusta. He believed in helping the local children and every year gave out turkeys at Thanksgiving and toys to the kids at Christmas.

Yeah, a true humanitarian. Just ask his ex-wife. :rolleyes:
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • Polkersince85
    edited December 2006
    bobman1235 wrote:
    Just ask his ex-wife. :rolleyes:

Can't, she ODed on PCP.
    >
    >