Applying for a credit card..

POLKOHOLIC
POLKOHOLIC Posts: 407
edited December 2006 in The Clubhouse
So heres the deal: I have a student checking account and money market with paypal. I now want to apply for my very first credit card. I applied for an American Express online but was rejected due to the fact that I don't have an 'Open Tradeline within the past 6 months' - I assume this means that Im being declined since I have no credit at all. The question now is which credit card should I apply for if I have no credit history at all. Also, how can I get a free credit report? I believe Im entitled for 3 free reports per year?

As far as credit cards go, I just want something to start building credit. Im gonna make the full payment every month but don't want a secured deposit or charge card. Something with rewards and low interest. Any ideas?
Post edited by POLKOHOLIC on

Comments

• audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited December 2006
    Great question, one which I should have asked, as well. I have a student checking and savings account with Wachovia, and applied for one of Wachovia's student credit cards, but was rejected due to a lack of credit history.

I was like, duh...that's why I'm applying for a student cc.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • Polkersince85
    Polkersince85 Posts: 2,883
    edited December 2006
    annualcreditreport.com Just get one, then in six months get another and so on. Don't buy anything from the site, just get the report. A local bank may let you have a secured card. If you are in school, the cards companies waive the no credit thing, check the brochures at school. Don't get too far in debt.
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,950
    edited December 2006
    Plenty of banks have cards that you deposit lets say 300.00 with them and they give you a card with a 300.00 limit.As long as you make the payments on time and don't go over the limit,you'll be getting the evil credit card people knocking on your door.Yep,what a racket,they will charge you interest to borrow your own money.Thing is,charge only 50.00 a month and pay it off each month so no interest is charged.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • POLKOHOLIC
    edited December 2006
    As I mentioned in the original post...I do not want a secured deposit credit card.
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited December 2006
    People that get credit cards with good intentions do so with the thought of 1)building credit 2)for "emergencies" and 3) i will just pay it off every month. That is rarely the outcome, only debt will follow. The temptation is way too high when you have them. The insanely high interest rates for first cards can overwhelm you.
    I have heard some of the best credit boosters are as simple as solid car payments through credit unions and banks.
    I was able to buy my first house at 23 because i happened to save a years worth of utility bills. Unlike the past, now you have VISA bank cards that allow you to purchase anything with no interest or debt.
    I fell into extreme debt with credit cards, home equity and loans. I am debt free now and i will never fall to interest again. Its all about 401K now......
    There are others ways to build credit. Once your in debt your credit is worse than being debt free.
    GOODLUCK!
    PS. Yes, secured card is the way to go but better yet is a VISA check card.
    Thier is no such thing as bankruptcy anymore....................
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,861
    edited December 2006
    I like cash better...............
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • POLKOHOLIC
    edited December 2006
    1. The question was 'which credit card should I get with no credit history'. The question was not 'should I get a credit card'.

2. Check cards do not build credit.

3. I like plastic better.

4. The question restated: What credit card should I apply for if I have no credit history at all? I do not want a secured deposit card or a charge card. I applied for American Express twice and was declined both times. I have a student checking and money market with Chase.
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited December 2006
    I would check on the Paypal VISA card, I think they have pretty reasonable acceptance terms. Next for the big boys would be Capital One. They have a student program, call their 800# and ask. You can probably get an AMEX if you call and talk to them and can prove some good history. The AMEX is a little safer because you have to pay in full each month.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • POLKOHOLIC
    edited December 2006
    dkg999 wrote:
    The AMEX is a little safer because you have to pay in full each month.

Thats a charge card and I do not want that. I would like to have the option of paying a minimum ammount as opposed to the full.

Paypal has a mastercard that I have thought about but I cant seem to find specifics on it. Does it have 0% intro apr? if not than whats the rate? Are there any fees? What kind of rewards program do they have?
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,861
    edited December 2006
    Chase should be able to help you get a card, but you may have to go to your local branch for help. You are getting kicked out by a computer and may need a human to intelligently handle your request.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited December 2006
    With no existing trade lines, you should just worry about no annual fees. The fact that you got an AMEX card and managed it successfully for 6 mos to a year will get you the card you want. You have to walk before you can run!
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • scottvamp
    edited December 2006
    POLKOHOLIC wrote:
    1. The question was 'which credit card should I get with no credit history'. The question was not 'should I get a credit card'.

4. The question restated: What credit card should I apply for if I have no credit history at all? I do not want a secured deposit card or a charge card. I applied for American Express twice and was declined both times. I have a student checking and money market with Chase.
    Your answer is, it doesn't matter. A credit card is a credit card. Chase or Capital One, pick your poison. Just listen to the advise.
    Thier is also legal loan sharking like Check and Go's. And your reason was to build credit and you acknowledge that this is not the route............
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited December 2006
    POLKOHOLIC wrote:

dude.. you're not making any sense to me. you want a credit card right? go to your local bank you have a checking account with and they may be able to help you out.

A secured card will get you the credit history you don't have. capiche!
    You can't have a credit card like a American Express.. cuz you don't have any credit history or make enough damn money. :p

I've been rejected by AM Express too.. for not having a yearly salary up to their standards. So i said eff em.. i got plenty of other credit card place willing to take my hard earned money. I get about 5 or 6 card offers in the mail every week.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • POLKOHOLIC
    edited December 2006
    I did not acknowledge that but yea thanks for the advice. I'll remember that when I max out my card like an idiot and forget to pay at the end of the month. Oh and yea, most of this reply was sarcasm.
  • POLKOHOLIC
    edited December 2006
    I do not want a secured credit card. I want a normal credit card where I have the option to either pay the minimum amount or full balance. I want a grace period of atleast 20 days. I dont want to pay more than 20% interest if I miss a payment. A check card is no good because it does not build credit. I want a credit card to build my credit - I do not want to build my credit history in any other way, shape or form. I realize the "dangers" of having a credit card. I am not an idiot who will max it out knowing that I wont be able to pay it off. Please stop offering alternative methods of building credit. I just want to know what card I can get if I have no credit history at all. Again: the card must be a regular credit card - not a secured deposit or charge card.
  • scottvamp
    edited December 2006
    Credit cards were designed for idiots. :D I was one of them.:D
  • scottvamp
    edited December 2006
    The answer again is it doesn't matter. The card you get is the high interest one that takes you. Do a google search and start applying.
    You are in no position to make credit card demands.
    I was with a major credit card company that would hold my payment in hand until it was late and charge the hell out of me. And thier was nothing i could do about it. They had tons of lawsuits but they are making so much money it did not matter to them. It is apart of thier bussiness................
    SERIOUS!!!!!!!
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited December 2006
    i'm outta here. he just doesn't get it.. you can't have a credit card without a credit history.. things aren't that easy. on most credit cards you do not have to pay the off the full balance every month. that's why it's called CREDIT and not cash.

most stores will give you credit in their stores with no credit history. the bad side it.. it's only good for their stores.

i'm done..
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • wodom1
    wodom1 Posts: 1,054
    edited December 2006
    I got an American Express Blue for Students my Sophomore year in college. I had no previous credit, and they gave me a $2000 limit @ something like 12% APR, though I can't remember exactly. I did not have to pay this card off in full each month -- which in the long run hurt me. If they're still offering the Blue for Students, look into it.
    "I got into the music business thinking it was really radical, that it wasn't really a business at all, that it was a lot of people being artistic and creative. Not true, and it made me very depressed."

Thom Yorke of Radiohead

SOPA. Bow down before me, ****. Want a cookie?

Polk Audio LSi15
    Polk Audio LSiC
    Polk Audio FXi30
    Samsung LN-T4061F 40" 1080P LCD HDTV
    Sony Playstation 3
    Outlaw Model 990 Pre/Pro
    Rotel 985 MK II
    Rotel 1072 CDP
    Soundstage Vacuum II tube pre
  • lomic
    lomic Posts: 407
    edited December 2006
    Option #1 - Go to a department store and open up a credit account. Yes, you can only use it at that store, but after you buy stuff and make payments for 3-6 months you'll be able to start applying for real cards.

Option #2 - Apply for student cards until you are approved for one. Someone will approve you eventually, but there is one hitch, though I'm not sure it applies to people with no credit history - every time you apply for a credit card it has a negative impact on your credit score, whether you're approved or not. These marks stay on your credit history for about a year IIRC.

Option #3 - If your parents or siblings have good credit have one of them add you as an "Authorized User" to a card they have never missed a payment on, and which they seldom, if ever, use. Have them send the new card to their house and you never see it or have access to it. After 1-2 months the entire history of that credit account should be added to YOUR credit history. Make sure when they call to add you that they ask the bank if they will report the "AU" to the credit bureaus - if not, try a different card.

I know for a fact Amex works for this. I had a year and a half of perfect credit history but was not getting any offers from Amex, which as this thread has stated has some of the highest requirements for most of their cards. After my parents added me to their old Amex account I have been getting offers for Amex's best cards (No, not Black ;) and better offers from other CC companies as well.

For more info on this and other topics, I suggest heading over to the "Finance" forum on FatWallet.com

Good luck.
    Dodd Audio ELP [ Tubes ] // Harman Kardon AVR330 // Parasound HCA-1203A // Denon DVD-2900
    Polk Audio LSi9, LSiC, LSi 7 // HSU STF-2 // Signal Cable Interconnects (SG BW/A2/MP)
  • howie777
    howie777 Posts: 357
    edited December 2006
    I don't understand. My little brother didn't even have a job and he was able to get credit cards. I never had any issues getting them either.

If you really want one, try Capital one. They are pretty conservative and may not be as inclinded as others to let you get too deep. If you really think they won't get you, understand they will. Just keep an eye out for it and be honest with yourself and you will see it before you get in real trouble.

I remember laughing to myself as a freshmen, as I heard a professor and a student talk about grad schools and how it wasn't going to be easy getting into one because the student had a 2.84 GPA. How could he let himself end up with a 2.84 GPA! 4 years later I graduated with a 2.52 GPA.... LOL what an idiot I was.

Try Capital One. Good credit is necessary, and I do know someone who uses a credit card all the time. Never once has she paid interest. So here's hoping your one of the few.

Howie
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited December 2006
    As the economy weakens the CC companies are tightening up a little. If you are approved or not is based soley on your credit score (Beacon, FICO or whatever they use). If you don't meet the minimum score you are not getting one.

If you want a CC now, with no security, get a co-signer, preferably a parent. Keep the limit at $1,000. (As a side note I NEVER recommend a parent or anyone else co-sign for a credit card for anyone other than a minor child or a child who is a full time student - it is just too risky) After a year apply again on your own for a card, payoff and close the co-signed card and you now have credit on your own...like a man.

As far a credit bureau report, if you are turned down you have the right to get a copy for free. They should have given you the information on how and where to do so on the decline letter.

Credit cards can be a curse if not used correctly. I have seen people with credit card balances in excess of $100,000. They were stupid. Credit cards and payday-loan companies are the worst way to borrow money. DON'T use either one for borrowing. Use credit cards as a convinience.

I have one card and it has a substantial limit. I have not paid a single cent in credit card interest in 20+ years. I use the card a lot and pay it in full each month. AMEX sends me money every quarter for using their card and I don't pay THEM anything.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited December 2006
    Discover has been known to be generous once in a while but I would say either Capital One or Bank of America (who I got my first CC through). Best thing to do is find a retail store who is easy to attain and get their in house card. Once you get one of those, you'll start getting applications in the mail from a million different places. Then pick whoever has the best terms.
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited December 2006
    POLKOHOLIC wrote:
    Thats a charge card and I do not want that. I would like to have the option of paying a minimum ammount as opposed to the full.

That is a DANGEROUS way to think. Using your card and not paying it off in full each month can be a recipe for disaster. I have dealt with a number of young kids in the military who operated under that very same philosophy and before they knew it were tens of thousands in debt.

Me, I have credit cards and I use them. I do NOT view them as a source of additional income. Therefore, I pay them off every month.

Be smart. Don't assume debt that you don't need to. Especially if you are student with little/no income.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • POLKOHOLIC
    edited December 2006
    i never said i was going to pay the minimum each month. i would just like to have that option available. for the most part i will be paying it off in full every month.
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,667
    edited December 2006
    If you're wanting to establish credit, than here's a link for some cards that are easy to get:

http://www.creditcards.com/bad-credit.php

Note the "Annual Fees": $39 to $69.

Those "Low" APR rates ? 8.9 %, 14.9 %, etc.

Well, miss a payment, and Orchard Bank will jack your rate up to, oh ....
    22.6 % or 28.6 % or 32.6 %. Whatever they feel like.

BTW, if you're late on a electric bill, or gas bill, or water bill they have the right to jack your APR up to 22.6 % or 28.6 % or 32.6 %. Whatever they feel like.

(BTW, for those of you who have 1st-line credit cards, they can do the same thing)

So ..... if you want to establish credit, bite the bullet, get one of these predatory cards, use them once a month for a year, than apply for a 1st line credit card. Get that, than call and CANCEL the predatory card.

Another option is to get a department store card from, say, Sears. Use it once a month for 6 months. Buy something you need (socks, skivies) once a month than pay that off 2 weeks early.

Beware of the thinking that "I plan on paying off my balance every month, I just want the option of paying the minimum".
    If you have that option, you will more than likely use it.

Getting a "secured" debit card from your bank/credit union doesn't do anything to establish your credit.
    Sal Palooza
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited December 2006
    I was in finance and credit for about 6 years. looked at more credit bureau reports than you can imagince, so I know a few things.

Polkoholic, how old are you? I'll guess like maybe 18-19, and from what your saying, you have no trade lines on your credit bureau (i.e. no credit or finance account of any kind that will show as a trade line on the credit bureau)

you have to get tradelines and some kind of history built up. Danger boy mentioned a store card, that might work. Capital One back in my credit buying days was allways a first step for a lot of people. My first step was a Bally Jack Lalane gym membership, which due to the way they structured it was a loan that was paid back ebery month, and it showed on my credit bureau as my first trade line. thanks to that, I didnt have to go with the secured credit card route to get a regular credit card.

long story short, hell or high water, you gotta get trade lines on record, then build from there. Then you move onto normal credit cards. believe it or not, paying it off every month is not the best way to get the highest credit score, its having revolving debt, but no where close to the max point. Creditors want to see that you can carry a debt load in a responsible fassion, not that paying it off every month is bad, just not the best route. managing a certain amount of debt is hard, becuase your allways tempted to exptend that debt buying cool toys and ****, then your debt climbs to close or at Max, and that us bad

then you move on to intallment loans, like car loans and such. then the next level is mortgage.

again, long story short, there are steps to building a credit history. do an internet search, read up on it. having good credit makes your life ALOT easier than for someone who's credit is a horror show.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • Polk65
    Polk65 Posts: 1,405
    edited December 2006
    A friend told me about applying for a gas and department store card before a credit card. I got the gas and department store cards easily based upon having a job. Six months later I applied at a local BofA and was declined. A bit later I saw a pamphlet at a campus bulletin board for a CitiB student credit card, filled it out with "other references" being my two cards and got my first VISA.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited December 2006
    ohskigod wrote:
    I was in finance and credit for about 6 years. looked at more credit bureau reports than you can imagince, so I know a few things.

Believe it or not, paying it off every month is not the best way to get the highest credit score, its having revolving debt, but no where close to the max point. Creditors want to see that you can carry a debt load in a responsible fassion, not that paying it off every month is bad, just not the best route.
    Lou, I have been lending money for 28 years and that is just about the worst advice you could possibly give a young person. It is also wrong. A credit bureau report has no indication of whether a balance is carried past the end of the billing cycle or not. It is simply a snapshot in time and the balance is reported whenever the credit issuer send the information to the bureau. I pay my card in full every month, but there is probably never a time when there is not a balance on the card because I continue to use the card after the cycle has ended and a bill sent to me. Opening an account or card and not using it doesn't really help the score but it doesn't really hurt it either. Payment history, limiting the amount of revolving credit available and lack of derogatory information are the best way to keep the scores up.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • tommyboy
    tommyboy Posts: 1,414
    edited December 2006
    I don't remember having any problem getting my first CC. I just got stuff in the mail and signed up to one when I was 17. My first card was from capital one... They charged me $3 (their monthly fee) a month but I quickly got that fixed when I called and complained. I only had a $500 limit and 20% interest. But I just payed it off every month. After a few months, my mailbox start filling up with 0% interest credit cards.

Now here is my advise.

1. and most important. DO NOT THINK OF THIS AS FREE MONEY!!!
    2. Don't get chase CC, I know there are worse out there, but they were constantly calling me or charging me something without telling me.
    3. Credit card companies ONLY goal is to get you in debt. Make sure you take advantage of the CC companies, not the other way around...
    4. Make sure you read the fine print, you'd be surprised how CC companies trick you by say... for example they are giving you 0% interest, but in small letters it says for balance transfers only.

I am 21 now and have 3 credit cards. I am proud to say that I have never gave one cent to those ****. Take advantage of them.
    AVR: H/K AVR240
    Fronts: Monitor 50s
    Center: CSI3
    surrounds: R15s
    Sub:Velodyne DPS10
    Dvd/Cd: Samsung HD upconverter (for now)
    TV: 50" Sammy Plasma
    game hardware: 360 and gcn.
    Gamertag: kovster27