Xmas present roadblock - HELP plz :)

BaggedLancer
BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
edited December 2006 in The Clubhouse
So for the last month I've been telling my dad that I am going to get him a Tivo/DVR setup from Tivo or Comcast. I ended up decided to go with the DVR from comcast since the monthly fee was cheaper. So I figured today, since comcast is open I would give a call and setup an installation appointment. My initial intention was to pay for the installation of the box(30) + a couple months of service.

However, today when I asked him when would be the best time to have them come and install it he asked what the monthly fee was and I told him. He started screaming and said he doesn't want it anymore and that he wont allow it to be installed. I'm pretty aggrivated/upset about this cause all my xmas shopping was done a month ago, if not more and now this.

So now its the day before xmas eve, and I'm 1 present short. There is NO WAY in hell im going shopping and dealing with those crowds. Anyone have any suggestions for any last minute gift ideas?
Post edited by BaggedLancer on

Comments

• avguytx
    avguytx Posts: 1,628
    edited December 2006
    Does he like music and/or movies? Does he have a system of any sort? I'm big on getting gift cards and letting people pick their own tastes out because, unless you're there everyday and know their stuff, it's hard to know what they've been wanting at any given moment. I know I always like gift cards! (got one myself for Lowe's from my best friend and his wife)
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?.................................Sinner.
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited December 2006
    a lump of coal ?

does tivo have a monthly cost ?

I agree...can`t go wrong with gift cards
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,428
    edited December 2006
    Give him a card with a promise that you'll take him to dinner at one of Boston's finest restaurants..................where you can discuss his outburst. ;)

Side note: I can understand he position, so should you.

Merry Christmas
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• BaggedLancer
    edited December 2006
    avguytx wrote:
    Does he like music and/or movies? Does he have a system of any sort? I'm big on getting gift cards and letting people pick their own tastes out because, unless you're there everyday and know their stuff, it's hard to know what they've been wanting at any given moment. I know I always like gift cards! (got one myself for Lowe's from my best friend and his wife)

No music, his truck doesnt have FM or a CD player, not even a cassette deck. he is an AM only talk radio person.

Doesn't watch movies.

Gift cards to where though? He is a master plumber and I know he doesn't use the home depot or anything like that since he always goes to supply houses.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited December 2006
    F1nut wrote:

Side note: I can understand he position, so should you.

I understand his position as well, but the point is I've been discussing this for a month with him. He really liked the idea since he works super early in the morning so he is always in bed when his favorite shows are on.
  • beardog03
    edited December 2006
    I`m with Jesse...
    get him a nice dinner at a nice Restaurant downtown
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s

• Libertyc
    Libertyc Posts: 915
    edited December 2006
    Just give him a card with some cash. Always the right size and color.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited December 2006
    Tell him he's a crotchety old man and don't get him anything.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • beardog03
    edited December 2006
    dorokusai wrote:

wwwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa:D
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s

• BaggedLancer
    edited December 2006
    dorokusai wrote:

To be honest, im tempted to do this. All he does lately is complain about every little thing. He has no interests or hobbies in ANYTHING. He doesn't have a computer, he struggles to turn the tv/cable box on with the comcast remote. It's getting kind of obnoxious around here, part of why I'm moving out in May.
  • ledhed
    ledhed Posts: 1,088
    edited December 2006
    If you can delay the present, the Pioneer Tivo/DVD burner (model DVR-810H-S or 57H for the Elite version) doesn't require a subscription and can be had fairly cheaply on eBay. The PQ isn't that great but the recording capabilities make up for it.

EDIT: I believe there may be others out there that do not require a subscription but, this is the only one I know of off the top of my head.
    God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. - Romans 5:8
  • avguytx
    avguytx Posts: 1,628
    edited December 2006
    How about a strip bar? Would he like a night out seeing some boobies? lmao. Ok. That might be lame but I haven't seen that suggested yet. I know my dad would like that as he has enough money to get what he wants. SO, a night out when I'm in Colorado at their place is how I get him something.
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?.................................Sinner.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited December 2006
    ledhed wrote:
    If you can delay the present, the Pioneer Tivo/DVD burner (model DVR-810H-S or 57H for the Elite version) doesn't require a subscription and can be had fairly cheaply on eBay. The PQ isn't that great but the recording capabilities make up for it.

EDIT: I believe there may be others out there that do not require a subscription but, this is the only one I know of off the top of my head.

Any idea of ease of use? I'm not joking when I say my dad doesn't know how to turn on a computer......so it needs to be easy.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited December 2006
    avguytx wrote:
    How about a strip bar? Would he like a night out seeing some boobies? lmao. Ok. That might be lame but I haven't seen that suggested yet. I know my dad would like that as he has enough money to get what he wants. SO, a night out when I'm in Colorado at their place is how I get him something.

Thanks for the suggestion but, No. My dad is almost 60 and I just don't think strip bars as his thing.....
  • ledhed
    ledhed Posts: 1,088
    edited December 2006
    Any idea of ease of use? I'm not joking when I say my dad doesn't know how to turn on a computer......so it needs to be easy.

Well, my mom and dad figured it out... It uses the standard Tivo remote which may require a quick lesson to show how to get to the recorded material but basically, it is like a VCR remote. Also, it is a learning remote so you can turn your TV on with it. The only time we use the actual TV remote is for switching inputs and watching OTA-HD.
    God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. - Romans 5:8
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited December 2006
    Get one of these, put it in a card & be done with it!

http://www10.americanexpress.com/sif/cda/page/0,1641,2193,00.asp

You should be able to get one at a Bank Of America.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited December 2006
    How about a VCR?
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited December 2006
    dorokusai wrote:
    Have a singing stripper deliver that message and call it good.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited December 2006
    Take him for a steak at the Hilltop and a lap dance at the Golden Banana.....call it a day.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited December 2006
    Have a singing stripper deliver that message and call it good.

How about a midget and when he's done with the song, he kicks the old man in the junk, spits on him and says "Merry Christmas from your son!"?
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited December 2006
    Settled on a book of "how to use a computer" from amazon and some cigars......simple and stupid......
  • Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited December 2006
    Isn't it hard for us to pick a present for a man we don't know?

If he's having problems with his TV and what-not, get him a good universal remote and you program it to make their life easier...
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited December 2006
    TroyD wrote:
    Take him for a steak at the Hilltop and a lap dance at the Golden Banana.....call it a day.

The Golden Banana closed a few years ago... Nice local reference though :)
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited December 2006
    bobman1235 wrote:
    The Golden Banana closed a few years ago... Nice local reference though :)

Infestation! That place was run down as can be.