The 10 most dangerous toys of all time

Jstas
Jstas Posts: 14,804
edited December 2006 in The Clubhouse
Lawn darts made Number 1 and rightfully so! I think I would have started a letter writing campaign if they weren't!

http://www.radarmagazine.com/features/2006/12/toys.php

Of specially curiosity if the Johnny Reb cannon and the radiation kit.
Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
Post edited by Jstas on

Comments

• Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited December 2006
    Lawn Darts are harmless, it's the user that makes them dangerous.
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited December 2006
    My best friends sister was one of the children, and the family a subsequent plaintiff, that suffered brain damage from the original Lawn Dart...the ones with the metal spike end...but through alot of physical therapy she's just fine. Oh well, accidents happen.

Great list, great memories.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited December 2006
    Ron-P wrote:

I would agree, but what kid hasn't tried to see how far, or how high they can throw them, and end up throwing them straight up in the air. Then there is the occasional slip out of the hand, or how about the one that likes to throw them straight in the air to scar everyone around them.

Have a safe, and merry Christmas
    Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited December 2006
    that's awesome.. I think all of those toys have been outdated and are no longer sold.. except maybe Lawn Darts.. well with a name like lawn darts.. you gotta think they're gonna mame someone at some point. :p because their alternate name of Injured Child darts didn't sell very well I heard. :p
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • McLoki
    McLoki Posts: 5,231
    edited December 2006
    We used to have a set of Jarts. They were awesome. Much better than the toss across game we got the same year. What could be better than testing your accuracy at throwing a short winged spear 30 feet or so.

There were no huns attacking any of our fortresses in the 70's or 80's and I am sure it was out of fear from our extensive training.....

Michael
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)
  • PolkWannabie
    PolkWannabie Posts: 2,763
    edited December 2006
    Ron-P wrote:
    The same can be said for nuclear weapons ...
  • seo
    seo Posts: 305
    edited December 2006
    We had Jarts as well. Always took them when we went car camping. They were great fun.

That being said, would I let my kids use them now........?

NOPE!
    Signature goes here
  • seo
    seo Posts: 305
    edited December 2006
    I see creepy crawlers on the list too. I had that toy as well. How did we ever survive the 70's?
    Signature goes here
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited December 2006
    The same can be said for nuclear weapons ...

I see your point, but no. Nuclear radiation will kill you on it's own.
  • Vanhool
    Vanhool Posts: 58
    edited December 2006
    Haha, I really want that Atomic Energy Lab. Radiation fun for the whole family. My sister also had one of those flying razor blades, and no they didnt exaggerate when they called the flying patterns "Oh-Jesus-it's-chasing-me!". That thing was awesome though. Ahh good times, I wish we could still buy chemistry kits thats had all kinds of fun stuff in it, like sulfuric acid, now that would be fun to play with.
    Van

{HT, in the works}
    Polk-M10
    MTX-SW2
    Pioneer-VSX-516-k
  • markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited December 2006
    A 16 year old with a new car for Christmas. A virtual guarantee it's totaled by Spring Break.
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,160
    edited December 2006
    Every weekend in the summer the Lawn Jarts came out (the original metal spiked ones). No one ever got hurt but we did some pretty stupid things with them at times. I was like 7-8 years old at the time I guess I should count myself lucky. So should my parents since DCFS never got called for allowing us to play with them unsupervised at times. Most of my other dangerous toys were mostly homemade and involved fire, white gasoline, gun powder and other household chemicals. How we never were seriously injured is beyond me. :p;).
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited December 2006
    No Jarts incidents, however I did mash my cousin's grapes with a croquet mallet when I was 7.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited December 2006
    Kid named Manny lived on the corner. His teeth, my baseball bat.
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited December 2006
    Kid named Manny lived on the corner. His teeth, my baseball bat.

:) sports injury ? :)
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited December 2006
    Yes, an unfortunate accident. We were in my backyard wacking a Spalding ball off the back of the house. The thing I remember the most is after the fact my dad commented, "I came running right downstairs cause he sounded just like your sister when she cries."
  • univera
    univera Posts: 848
    edited December 2006
    Lawn Jarts are awesome! My dad and I spent hours throwing in the back yard. Only spastic players cause injuries....The wooden baseball bat to my head while playing school yard softball was much more dangerous....
    UNIVERA
    Historic Charleston SC

2 Channel:
    SDA-SRS's RDO tweets
    Biamped Anthem 2 SE's w/1970's NOS Siemens CCA's
    Anthem Pre 2L w/E.harmonix platinum matched 6H23's
    CDP- NAD C 542

HT setup:
    AVR: NAD T 773
    Rears: Polk LC80i
    DVD: Toshiba 3109 dual tray
    Subs: Velodyne and M&K
    T.V.: Sony KDL-52XBR4 w/Vans Evers Clean Line Jr.
    Conditioner: Panamax M5100EX

Master Bedroom Sony 40KDL-XBR3

"I love it when a plan comes together." Hannibal Smith, The A-Team
  • John in MA
    John in MA Posts: 1,010
    edited December 2006
    The Johnny Reb cannon is one of the greatest toys of all time. My uncle has his from when he was a little kid. It's harmless, too--the canon balls are about the size of baseballs and it shoots them very slowly.

You know, that list left out what actually _was_ the most dangerous toy of all time. The gas-powered pogo stick. They weren't sold for very long because they had a habit of sending people flying through the air. I'm serious, look it up.
  • capecodder
    capecodder Posts: 613
    edited December 2006
    In my many yard sale travels I found a set of Jarts last summer that were MINT. They have the warning saying "May cause injury or death" right on the box. Don't think they had ever been used. Bought them for $4.00. I knew they were worth something considerably more but I couldn't find any eBay lsitings then realized they are banned for listing. I decided the hell with it, I paid $4 so just keep the damn things and use them, which I did. They are great.

My teenage kids think so to. Hmm, maybe that's not a good idea.