My HiFonics Amp (some people just don't understand)

swerve
swerve Posts: 1,862
edited December 2006 in Car Audio & Electronics
So I sold my monoblock xxzeus back in june/july to a co-worker @ circuit city. He put it in his car and it pushed 2 Kicker Comp VX beautifully. Last night I ventured back into Circuit City to wish everyone happy holidays and all that jazz. This kid tells me that he traded subs with someone and wired them the same as he had the old ones and they ended up being at a 1 ohm load which made the amp catch on fire in his trunk. I explained that I ran my 15" **** for nearly 6 months wired to 1 ohm and he must have had it wired wrong or something. Or he just cranked the gains and fried the thing. He wasn't blaming me but I just don't understand hyow people can be so careless with their equipment//the money they spend.

He explained that he was blaming hifonics for claming hte amp is 1 ohm stable... which is funny because there is no possible way he had it wired to 1 ohm... Live and learn I guess...
and
RIP to my HiFonics amp
cats.vans.bag...
Post edited by swerve on

Comments

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited December 2006
    I wouldn't doubt it that he might have had himeself subs that were not 4 ohm or were dual 4 ohm voice coils and wired himself a half or quarter ohm load.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • swerve
    edited December 2006
    lol I'm pretty sure that's what he did...
    cats.vans.bag...
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited December 2006
    That sucks.

Too bad stupid people are allowed to buy things. I think y'all are probably right that he had it running at 1/4 ohm.

Or he may have wired it up using 12 guage power wire and 14 guage ground (Ive seen it happen!). Thats a good way to burn down a car too.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • joeaudio26
    joeaudio26 Posts: 97
    edited December 2006
    MacLeod wrote:
    That sucks.

Too bad stupid people are allowed to buy things. I think y'all are probably right that he had it running at 1/4 ohm.

Or he may have wired it up using 12 guage power wire and 14 guage ground (Ive seen it happen!). Thats a good way to burn down a car too.

ya mac your right. I've seen power and ground cross paths and start fire it's like a homemade welding kit...
    Whatsoever thy handfindeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is nor work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest.
  • swerve
    edited December 2006
    he was using 0/1 i sold him everything ihad to wire that thing up... it's just crazy how people can really ruin a good deal.
    cats.vans.bag...
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited December 2006
    I guess for some people it's actually better to actually pay for a shop to do their installs.
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin