HEY GUN GUYS! I need some help.

shack
shack Posts: 11,154
edited December 2006 in The Clubhouse
Since my wife and sister have absolutely no idea what to get my brother-in-law for Christmas....it has fallen on my shoulders (AGAIN) this year to purchase a gift. In years past it has been DVDs, CDs and such...but like me, if he sees something he likes, he buys it. So I want to get something a little different this year. The guy is a certified gun nut. He is a Captain (Chaplain) in the Army National Guard and is the Chaplain for his City Police and County Sheriff's offices and served a tour in Iraq, so he is around guns all the time.

I was thinking of some sort of history, reference guide, coffee table type of book on firearms. He is NOT into hunting, just guns and shooting. I would appreciate anything interesting you gun aficionados could recommend rather than just going down to the local Books-A-Million or Borders and picking something up.

Thanks guys.
"Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
Post edited by shack on

Comments

• Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited December 2006
    The best book I ever came across was called "The Great Book of Guns". There was more to the title than that, but I can't think of it off the top of my head. It's a hardcover book and nearly 500 pages worth of beautiful pictures and good information. It went through all of the history.
  • shack
    edited December 2006
    Is this it?

159223304X.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_V1100903548_.jpg

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • I-SIG
    I-SIG Posts: 2,238
    edited December 2006
    Check out Collector Grade Publications. They have great compendiums about various weapon systems, like The Black Rifle M16 Retrospective among other titles including the FAL, 1911, Walthers, etc.

Wes
    Link: http://polkarmy.com/forums

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d
  • ledhed
    ledhed Posts: 1,088
    edited December 2006
    I remember there being a neat book on guns (I believe, it could be hunting considering the author) that I saw at the NRA museum. Ted Nugent wrote it, I only remember this because it had a special thanks in it written to my shop teacher.

What regiment or area or whatever it is of the Guard is he in? My cousin is the local Chaplain I believe (he might be assistant chaplain) and was in Iraq...
    God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. - Romans 5:8
  • shack
    edited December 2006
    ledhed wrote:
    What regiment or area or whatever it is of the Guard is he in? My cousin is the local Chaplain I believe (he might be assistant chaplain) and was in Iraq...

278th ACR

• Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited December 2006
    shack wrote:
    Is this it?

159223304X.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_V1100903548_.jpg

That's the one.
  • shack
    edited December 2006
    Thanks, I will look for it.

• SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,480
    edited December 2006
    I-SIG wrote:
    Check out Collector Grade Publications. They have great compendiums about various weapon systems, like The Black Rifle M16 Retrospective among other titles including the FAL, 1911, Walthers, etc.

Wes

My favorite in the Collector Grade Publications is US Rifle M14, from John Garand to the M21, by R. Blake Stevens.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • shack
    edited December 2006
    Thanks for all the responses guys. I guess I'm off to the mall to pick something up. I checked Amazon, Borders and B-A-M online and its 3-4 week delivery far any of the stuff you listed. I just might order it and give him a card saying it is on the way...

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited December 2006
    Shackster
    A gun nut would love any of the hard bound books on single-actions, antique firearms, 1911's, etc. Just pick one out that is on-hand. Gun nuts usually aren't fussy and practically all enjoy just about any style of firearms.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • shack
    edited December 2006
    I went to Borders today and couldn't find any of the Collector Grade Books. Lots of stuff by Gun Digest and LOTS of "collector gun price" books, none of which impressed me. Thanks to the input here, I was able to search on their computer for the titles you mentioned and was able to find the book that Demi recommended. "The Great Book of Guns" was in the WAR History section (not with all of the other gun books). This is a BIG book and quite impressive. If he doesn't like this book he needs to get a new hobby....like knitting!

Thanks for the help guys. It made my shopping easier and I was able to get my B-I-L a cool gift.