New member, with a couple of questions.

DemonAstroth
DemonAstroth Posts: 131
edited December 2006 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hello,

This is my first post! And I already have some questions.

For background this is my set up currently.

Vehicle:
95 Infiniti G20t

Head Unit:
Dension DH100ix (4v version black face plate with 40 Gig HD)

Amps:
and old/ancient Eclipse 2 channel (800 watt rms) Eclipse 34230 (just found out)
Hifonics 4 channel (110 watt rms) <~~~weakest link I think.

Subs:
2 10" Alpine type S in a sealed box

Speakers:
Front: DB640's with Clarion tweeters
Rear: DB6500's in a custom plate.

Anyway, my vehicle is fairly small, and I have no major complaints about the sound. However, as I am running the tweeters and the front speakers with the same wire, the tweeters tend to be blown rather easily. I have replaced them twice already (free of course).

So I finally decided to get a component system for the front. I found a very cheap MMC6 for 100 dollars and couldn't pass it up.

Although my car is supposed to have 4x6's in the front, with an special adapter 6.5's are easily fitted. I have done it before (with crappy audiobahns and decent pioneers even before). The problem is that the woofers of the MMC6's are not your ordinary speaker. They are huge. They resemble more my Alpine subs than other speakers.

So anyway, to make them fit i'm going to have to use a dremel in my door, which should be no problem except for the fact that it will be very time consuming. Since I have no time I wanted to know if....

I could install the tweeters and the crossovers first, and plug the DB640's as the woofer in the meantime. That way I can take my time and not lose a whole weekend making things work.

Will I damage the 640's? Or even worse, the tweeters. I just want to be on the safe side.

Thanks for reading my essay.

Demon
Post edited by DemonAstroth on

Comments

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited December 2006
    Do it right the first time.

If you half-**** it, that's how it will sound too.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited December 2006
    Have you tried using a spacer? That would pull the MM6 out further and maybe it would fit better.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • DemonAstroth
    edited December 2006
    Jstas wrote:
    Do it right the first time.

If you half-**** it, that's how it will sound too.

That's exactly what I;m trying to do. I want to do it right, and I'm afraid that if I try to do it all at once for having the need of the car, I may mess it up.

I feel that if I do it in a couple of sittings, all my work may have more quality. In fact, I already wired the cross overs with time, really well from the warmth of my home.

The question I pretty much have is if I risk damaging either the tweeters or the DB640's if I have them temporarily running from the crossover? I know it won't sound ideal, but I just don't want to damage anything.

Last, does anyone else here agree that from the above list the amp (hifonics TX8805) is the lowest quality item?

Demon
  • DemonAstroth
    edited December 2006
    MacLeod wrote:
    Have you tried using a spacer? That would pull the MM6 out further and maybe it would fit better.

The magnet is too wide. It's not so much about the depth, since the stock speaker grilles come out a bit from the door (which creates the storage pocket on the door). But the magnet has a casing and it's just too wide to fit into the door panel. It really is built like a subwoofer.

High quality speakers will require high quality installation.

Thanks,

Demon
  • DemonAstroth
    edited December 2006
    So noone knows? The weather has been cold so I haven't done anything yet.

Demon
  • spwuinmk67
    spwuinmk67 Posts: 797
    edited December 2006
    The plastic around the magnet should be able to be removed. Try looking for screws or something under the label on the bottom.
    1993 Ford Ranger super cab:
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P880PRS
    MB Quart QSD216
    in need of amps and subs

Home:
    52" Sharp Aquos
    PolkAudio Monitor 10's
    Harmon Kardon HK3375
    Xbox 360
    PolkAudio XM tuner

Owner and co-designer of www.basicholdem.com