What time does it get dark in your neck of the woods?

Mazeroth
Mazeroth Posts: 1,585
edited December 2006 in The Clubhouse
First off, I HATE Daylight Saving Time!

Living in central Ohio it's pitch black at 5:30. The longest days in the summer it usually isn't pitch black until 9:45ish. Just curious to see what time it gets dark in different parts of the US.
Post edited by Mazeroth on

Comments

• ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited December 2006
    At night
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,861
    edited December 2006
    The worst place in the US to be for time zone change is the eastern range of the Rockies on the eastern edge of the time zone. It is dark in Denver shortly after 4PM this time of year.

I've found that there is nothing like living at the west edge of a time zone for getting the most out of the evening light.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited December 2006
    One thing that's great about daylight savings, it costs a lot more money. It gets dark earlier so the lights go on sooner. Who's the a-hole who dreamed up this lame-**** thing anyway? It's dark at 5:30.
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • Libertyc
    Libertyc Posts: 915
    edited December 2006
    Gets dark around 4:30pm. I'm in Southeastern PA.
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited December 2006
    I heard the same thing zero that there will be no more daylight savings time. By me its dark by 5:30
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited December 2006
    When I was overseas, they didn't do DST....In Korea during the summer it wouldn't get dark until after 10pm. It was possible to get in 54 holes of golf without too much problem.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited December 2006
    it's dark here around 4:30pm every damn day of the week. When is spring going to get here? I'm soooo done with winter.. and it's officially not even begun yet. :eek:
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited December 2006
    You guys realize that winter is NOT daylight savings time, right? Right now we're not in daylight savings time, we're in "standard time". One of the reasons that daylight savings time doesn't happen in the winter is because the sun wouldn't come out until after 8AM, and kids would be going to school in the dark.

From Wikipedia :
    Part of the reason that it is normally observed only in the early spring, summer, and early autumn instead of the winter months is that the amount of energy saved by experiencing sunset one hour later would be negated by the increased need for artificial morning lighting due to a later sunrise. During the summer most people would wake up after the sun rises, regardless of whether daylight saving time is in effect or not, so there is no increased need for morning lighting to offset the afternoon drop in energy usage. Another reason for not observing daylight saving time in the winter is concern about children walking to school in the dark.

Also, starting in '07, it's not always Daylight Savings Time, the period is just longer by 3-4 weeks. From the same article :
    DST commonly begins in the northern hemisphere on the last Sunday in March or the first Sunday in April, and ends on the last Sunday in October. However, due to the Energy Policy Act of 2005, beginning in 2007, the United States will begin observing DST from the second Sunday in March until the first Sunday in November. (Studies will determine if this remains permanent.) Most of Canada will also observe the new period to avoid possible economic losses from confusion with the United States. Since 2002, the European Union has fixed the last Sunday in March and the last Sunday in October as start and end dates (European Summer Time).
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • krabby5
    krabby5 Posts: 923
    edited December 2006
    bout 4:00..

it's awesome driving to work in pitch black AND driving back home in pitch black:rolleyes:
    Pioneer Elite VSX-53, Polk RT800i fronts, Polk CS400i center, FX500i surround, Velodyne sub
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited December 2006
    I'm right there with Mazeroth, just a few miles south; I hate winter...it is so depressing to get to work when it's dark, and get out of work when it is.....dark. :(

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited December 2006
    When it gets dark my rig sounds better, considering a move to the land of eternal darkness.

I really have not noticed I suppose around 6:00 or so in South Ga.

RT1
  • Mike682
    Mike682 Posts: 2,074
    edited December 2006
    Around 4:30 p.m here in NY
    Receiver: harmankardon AVR235
    Mains: polk R30
    Center: polk CSi3
    Rear Surrounds: polk R20
    Subwoofer: polk PSW404
    DVD: Panasonic DVD-S29
  • Jim Shearer
    Jim Shearer Posts: 369
    edited December 2006
    If you want to check out sun rise/set and moon rise/set times, go to www.sunrisesunset.com. You can even make custom calendars for your location.:D

Merry Christmas!
    Jim
    A day without music is like a day without food.
  • PolkWannabie
    PolkWannabie Posts: 2,763
    edited December 2006
    It will be dark tonight with continued darkness until morning ...
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited December 2006
    Here in southeast Arizona sun comes up around 7:15am, goes down around 5:20pm.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited December 2006
    We are slowly approaching the shortest day of the year in December and then it turns the other direction. This morning:
    Sun Up :10:04 am
    Sun Down : 3:03pm
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited December 2006
    Holy cow, Michael! :) you don't go to work 'till 10 and go home at 3:00? :)
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited December 2006
    It gets dark around 4.
  • MSALLA
    MSALLA Posts: 1,602
    edited December 2006
    I get depressed this time of year. I don't know what happened. I used to love the night time. Now I like as much daylight as I can get. Leaveing work at 5:00 and it's darl already gets me down.
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    12.1 SVS driver in 4.53 cuft. tube
    Harmony 880
  • janmike
    edited December 2006
    polkatese wrote:
    Holy cow, Michael! :) you don't go to work 'till 10 and go home at 3:00? :)

I wish. More like 7 to 5, but a day off today as my son is sick. Actually, I am fortunate as I can work from home on days like this.

Michael (MSALLA), if the darkness really bothers you there are lights that you can buy to help. Many people here in the North us them due to the limited daylight during the winter months. Personally I have never had a problem. Mind over matter for me.
    Michael ;)

NORTH of 60°
  • cambir
    cambir Posts: 1,045
    edited December 2006
    gets dark TOO EARLY! (4pm)
  • masanz1
    masanz1 Posts: 511
    edited December 2006
    getting dark now 4:19pm in Oregon
    Matthew
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason

HT

Yamaha RX-V2500
    CS400-Center
    SDA 1A-Mains
    RT20-Surround
    None right now-Rears
    SVS 20-39PCi
    Infocus IN72
  • MSALLA
    MSALLA Posts: 1,602
    edited December 2006
    janmike wrote:
    I wish. More like 7 to 5, but a day off today as my son is sick. Actually, I am fortunate as I can work from home on days like this.

Michael (MSALLA), if the darkness really bothers you there are lights that you can buy to help. Many people here in the North us them due to the limited daylight during the winter months. Personally I have never had a problem. Mind over matter for me.

:D HAHA!!! Thanks man. It's not that bad though. I just really hate the fact that I have worked all the daylight hours. Summertime is great. You get out of work and still have 4 hours of daytime hours left.
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    12.1 SVS driver in 4.53 cuft. tube
    Harmony 880
  • dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited December 2006
    Between 4:30 and 5 here in lower norther central eastern mi. I'm across the bay from the tip of the thumb in a little hole in the wall called Au Gres
  • janmike
    edited December 2006
    You are correct, summer is great. I get out of work and have 7 hours of daylight - that would be midnight. Bad in the winter and great in the summer.
    Michael ;)

NORTH of 60°
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited December 2006
    Around 6pm for me in Florida.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited December 2006
    I just checked, its dark outside RIGHT now.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • sda2mike
    sda2mike Posts: 3,131
    edited December 2006
    around 6 the lights start going out. :)
  • Mazeroth
    Mazeroth Posts: 1,585
    edited December 2006
    I noticed that last year and this year, during the winter, I've become somewhat depressed. I don't have much energy no matter how long I sleep. I usually get 8-9 hours of sleep per night and wake up without an alarm clock so I know my body is getting enough. I talked with my Mom and she recommended I check out light therapy. I did some research and the Apollo GoLites get fantastic reviews. However, they are pricey. I got VERY lucky last night and found an auction on ebay that was posted a few minutes before I found it that was set to $50 Buy It Now for a used one, which normally sell for $100+. I snatched it up and should have it in a few days. I'll let you guys know how well it works. I figure if it doesn't I can sell it back on ebay and MAKE money on the deal :D

Here's the one I got:

http://www.apollolight.com/golite.html

Killer reviews for it on Amazon and a few friends say it really does work. Helps to reset your circadian rythm, which I think it a big part of why I feel like crap! :p