Install db650 question

tcat
tcat Posts: 2
edited December 2006 in Car Audio & Electronics
Just installed a new JVC HD deck and will be upgrading the cheap speakers in my Subaru Baja shortly. Probably going with 4 db650's, although Crutchfield says they won't fit, I removed a door panel, and from all measurements I made, it appears to be no problem.

Basic install question: The 5" opening in my door sheet metal opens to a very large door cavity. Is it a good idea to fill that cavity with insulation (as long as I don't interfere with window)?

The bass on the db650's should be at least as good as the bass on my OEM paper speakers, right? I don't listen too loud, mostly pop-rock.
Post edited by tcat on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited December 2006
    Leave the door alone.

These speakers are made to work in infinite baffle (free air) and will work fine inside your door.

Besides, if you fill it up with insulation there is a good chance it will absorb moisture and that can lead to rust.

Still a good idea to add Dynamat to the doors tho.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Greg Peters
    Greg Peters Posts: 605
    edited December 2006
    tcat wrote:
    Just installed a new JVC HD deck and will be upgrading the cheap speakers in my Subaru Baja shortly. Probably going with 4 db650's, although Crutchfield says they won't fit, I removed a door panel, and from all measurements I made, it appears to be no problem.

Where you might run into fit problems is with the amount the tweeter protrudes past the basket. The dbs are not terribly deep, so the depth shouldn't be a problem.

While not familiar with the Subaru, if you intend to mount the db650s behind a factory speaker grill/grill opening in factory door panel, the dbs may cause the door panel or grill to bulge where they cover the tweeter.

If Crutchfield says the db6500 component set does fit, they would probably be a better option- you'd have the luxury of mounting the component tweeter elsewhere (good for imaging and stage height), plus you get a proper crossover with the comps. Well worth the extra cost over the db650s.
    tcat wrote:
    Basic install question: The 5" opening in my door sheet metal opens to a very large door cavity. Is it a good idea to fill that cavity with insulation (as long as I don't interfere with window)?

No, but you might want to put some Second Skin Deflex pads on the inner door skin behind speaker locations, and maybe some Damplifier (or Dynamat Xtreme) on the inner door panel to seal up the baffle and improve midbass response. The db650s (and db6500 components) are capable of moving some air, and without any dampening they'll probably vibrate the crap out of your doors.
    tcat wrote:
    The bass on the db650's should be at least as good as the bass on my OEM paper speakers, right? I don't listen too loud, mostly pop-rock.

They should sound "OK" if you power them off the head unit alone. If you power them with a seperate amp they'll produce really decent midbass, but for the lowest frequencies you'll need to add a subwoofer. The paper cone factory speakers may even play lower than the db650s do, but the dbs will beat them hands down in the high frequencies, midrange and midbass.
  • tcat
    tcat Posts: 2
    edited December 2006
    I went to CC and bought the db650's and installed yesterday. No fit problems at all. New speakers screwed right into the old baffles, and protruding tweeter still has at least 1/8" clearance to the door panel. Wire coding didn't jive with colors at head connector, but I just used the old speaker "+" as a reference. All sounds great, so must have been wired correctly at the factory. The factory speakers didn't sound bad, but these are definitely a step up. Much crisper, cleaner sound.

The JVC HD-R1 drives them with plenty of power, set on low power. Only "problem" I seem to have is a "normal" CD volume is about 14, the same volume on FM is about 20, so when I switch from FM to CD my ears get blown away... but then I'm over 50 so it doesn't take much to rattle my brain. Bass is better than the factory speakers. I do have one door rattle to resolve, but with all the helpful suggestions here, don't think that will be a problem.