Fry's online prices versus in store price. Big difference!

RichCanDo
RichCanDo Posts: 177
edited December 2006 in The Clubhouse
Planned to pick up a center channel speaker and sub at a local Fry's store today. Decided to call the store to see if items are in stock before I made the trip. Glad I did. Differences in online order price and price in store is unbelievable!

CSi25 online $69.99 - In store price $179.99 - $110 more!
PSW303 online $149.99 - In store $299.99 - $150 more!

Ordered online, paid $41 shipping and saved $219 without having to leave the house! (Though they charged sales tax on shipping! Had to pay tax online or in store.)
Mains; SDA 1.2TL Silk Domes, upgraded xover, biamped w/DBX BX1 200wpc
Pre-amp: DBX CX1
Center: CS1000p Rear Surr.; f/x1000
Parasound HCA-1205A amp; Center & rear
Sub: SVS PB12-Ultra
DVD: Denon 3910
Tuner, FM: Onkyo Integra T-9090II
Cassette: Onkyo Integra TA-2090
VCRs: JVC HD4000U digital, HRS8000U SVHS
Signal Processing: DBX; 10/20 EQ, SNR-1, 120X-DS, 3BX-DS, DAV-600G Router, Onkyo EQ-35
Conditioning: Monster AVS2000, HTS5100MKII
Post edited by RichCanDo on

Comments

• howie777
    howie777 Posts: 357
    edited December 2006
    I noticed this with Best Buy as well. Was looking at camcorders a while back. They would be on sale online but not in store, sometimes as much as $100 price difference.

H
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    edited December 2006
    I'm not sure about Fry's but sometimes if you ask, they can honor the on-line prices. Those were some pretty big differences though!
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited December 2006
    There is no doubt that you can save a lot of money in most cases buy purchasing online. However, once the purchase is made, the after purchase customer service can in my estimation be worth $50 more at a local dealer.

When you're talking a savings of $219 well that would cement an online purchase for me.

I just went and am going through hell with an online purchase that I made and I'll tell you even if the product cost me $75 more at a local dealer it would have been worth it not to have to deal with the manufacturer that I am having to deal with. I stand to have to eat $250 and make my own repairs on several manufacturers defects.

Congrats on your purchase I wish you all the best with them.
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited December 2006
    Circuit City matched a online price from their own site vs. the in store price on my Plasma TV. The difference was like $150 nice but yes you have to ask.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• PolkWannabie
    PolkWannabie Posts: 2,763
    edited December 2006
    In this area of the world Electronics Expo has brick and mortar stores and of course offers competitve prices through the internet ... Their in store price for the DLP I have was more or less the same as BB's but the internet price was over $1000 less ... They had no problem meeting the internet price in their store and as a result of the now local in store purchase the shipping was inexpensive as well. I was surprised when the unit arrived that it wasn't just a drop off, they brought the unit in, put it right where I wanted, set it up and tested it out.
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited December 2006
    I just bought a washer from Best Buy brick and mortar. Price online special $899. Price in store $999. I wanted to buy in store because they had free delivery/connect/haul-away, whereas online didn't. Salesguy at the store had no problem matching the $899 price, even let me use a 10% off Home Depot coupon on top of that since I claimed the price was the same at Home Depot (it actually wasn't I came to found out afterwards :p ). So ~$809 plus tax out the door.

I was expecting to have to haggle alot but I was in and out of the store in no time. Didn't even get a sales pitch for the matching dryer or extended warranty.

EDIT: Oh yeah, the price at Fry's was $1099. I asked the salesman there if he could come down any and he promptly said no and walked away.
  • PolkWannabie
    PolkWannabie Posts: 2,763
    edited December 2006
    Some do ... Some don't ... But if you don't ask you'll never know ... For stores that are local but also have an internet presence you can usually find out with a phone call.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited December 2006
    Yeah, Circuit City will match their website prices.

When I bought my Sony tv, it was on their website for $50 cheaper. I mentioned it, he looked it up online and promptly gave me the $50 off.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D