petrym
petrym Posts: 1,912
edited December 2006 in The Clubhouse
Excerpt from tomorrow's Wall Street Journal:

Johnson Illness Imperils
Democrats' Senate Control
By SARAH LUECK and JEANNE CUMMINGS
December 14, 2006

WASHINGTON -- The sudden illness that sent Democratic Sen. Tim Johnson to the hospital also stunned the Capitol as it underscored his party's tenuous hold on control of the Senate in the new Congress.

The South Dakota lawmaker was admitted to George Washington University Hospital after becoming disoriented yesterday, just weeks before Democrats are to take control of the Senate by a two-vote margin following the midterm elections.

If Mr. Johnson is unable to continue to serve, South Dakota Republican Gov. Mike Rounds would be able to appoint his successor until 2009 and put the Senate in a 50-50 tie. That would allow Vice President Dick Cheney to break ties on behalf of Republicans, helping give committee chairmanships to Republicans and boost President Bush's policies at least in the Senate. Democrats will control the House by a 31-vote margin.

As Mr. Johnson's family gathered at the hospital last night, his office wasn't making public details of his condition. In late afternoon, a brief statement said he had suffered a "possible stroke" and was being evaluated by a stroke team.
Post edited by petrym on

Comments

• hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited December 2006
    I don't want Johnson's illness to progress and pray for his recovery.

I do wish there was some other way to overtake the Dems though!
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited December 2006
    Doesnt matter whos in control. Its still just a bunch of worthless politicians in there anyway.

Still, best wishes for the Senator.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited December 2006
    The special interests always tip the legislature. Why do you think there is pork! Deals and made behind the scenes. A few pieces of legislation will go down party lines but most are deals made in smoky rooms. "I'll scratch your back if you scratch mine"
    Carl

• hearingimpared
    edited December 2006
    schwarcw wrote:
    The special interests always tip the legislature. Why do you think there is pork! Deals and made behind the scenes. A few pieces of legislation will go down party lines but most are deals made in smoky rooms. "I'll scratch your back if you scratch mine"

I've got a wicked itch right in the middle.
  • DollarDave
    DollarDave Posts: 2,575
    edited December 2006
    Being form South Dakota, and it being a state of only around 550,000 inhabitants, I have had the opportunity to meet Mr.Johnson. Although not of my political persuasion, he is a well-meaning and honest person. I wish him well. I have also met the other Senator from there, John Thune - look for him to be Presidential material someday. You may recall that John Thune was the one to put an end to the Liberal Tom Daschle's political career. Yes, I have met him, too and as they say, if can't say anything nice...

Anyways, the makeup of the Senate and committee chairmanships are more important than most might think when it comes to judicial appointments and such. I just want to point that out, not debate the merits of having conservative judges who tend not to legislate from the bench and having activist liberal judges who tend to find against having our Ten Commandments displayed in public places and having any mention of God removed from public schools.
  • hearingimpared
    edited December 2006
    Yep we definetely like to keep government out of our lives. But don't say too much more or we will have a debate on our hands in this thread.
  • tommyboy
    tommyboy Posts: 1,414
    edited December 2006
    Guys, we all know what happens when we talk politics on the forum..... I've learned my lesson from the WWIII thread...
    AVR: H/K AVR240
    Fronts: Monitor 50s
    Center: CSI3
    surrounds: R15s
    Sub:Velodyne DPS10
    Dvd/Cd: Samsung HD upconverter (for now)
    TV: 50" Sammy Plasma
    game hardware: 360 and gcn.
    Gamertag: kovster27
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited December 2006
    MacLeod wrote:
    Doesnt matter whos in control. Its still just a bunch of worthless politicians in there anyway.

No need for us to debate political issues if we recognize the truth of the above statement.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited December 2006
    Countdown to the first conspiracy theory of the Republicans poisoning him? I give it 3 hours.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited December 2006
    Not wishing the Senator harm (If all Dems were like the guy, I might vote that way), but it would be nice to have the constitutional intent of senators preserved in at least 1 state.

(In the original Constitution, the Senate was intended to represent the State and State government and not its people which is what the House is for. Stupid amendment if you ask me- Leads to a very strong federal and weak state governments)
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • DollarDave
    DollarDave Posts: 2,575
    edited December 2006
    Are you saying that originally Senators were to be appointed somehow by the State governments? If that is the case, I did not know that. That would certainly be preferable to me.
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited December 2006
    bobman1235 wrote:
    Countdown to the first conspiracy theory of the Republicans poisoning him? I give it 3 hours.

It took 2 minutes at DU.
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited December 2006
    DaveMuell wrote:
    Are you saying that originally Senators were to be appointed somehow by the State governments? If that is the case, I did not know that. That would certainly be preferable to me.

Yes, the elected state officials (governer and the states legislature) picked/elected the senators until the 17th ammendment was ratified then it went to popular vote.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin