Small, Insignificant rant...

VR3
VR3 Posts: 28,565
edited December 2006 in The Clubhouse
As most of you know, I work at a local music store. A store, company that as a whole is growing by leaps and bounds. We just opened a store, and have the prospects of opening another one very soon.

With this in mind, I have many friends that are musicians and they know that while our asssesories are not competitive with the likes of Musicians Friends - mainly because they sell alot of their stuff at COST or slightly above so you buy alot of stuff....

But when it comes to bigger items, they allow me to work with them, sometimes I have the same price every where sometimes, sometimes its higher, sometimes its lower - and I always work with them the best I can...

With this in mind...

My friend wanted to learn guitar and I told them I would hook them up whenever they were ready...

So the time comes, and she found a guitar we had marked at 179 - and its an inexpensive guitar and we probally marked it up, but apparently a store down the road had it marked for 140...

Now, this store dosn't have any ties we dont, we are the largest independently owned music store in North and South Carolina, this guys been open four months - max...

So yeah, instead of giving me a chance to match, do something - they go ahead and buy it from this new store...

Has nothing to do with monetary gain or anything of the like, Im not going to get into a fit over 7 bucks or w/e - but it totally ticks me off when Ive done tons of crap to help this person and then they would rather not support you, or the place you work at for no other reason than...

"Music N' More is a corporation, some people can't afford Music N' More prices...I want to support the small guys..."

I'm sitting here thinking... ok... Music N More was ONE store... 2 months ago, now that we opened another store, we are some nasty corporation - RIGHT... and then... the price thing, like I said above... this guy can do NOTHING that we cant... its almost retarded...

Yep, I'm done ranting, just really annoyed but this entire situation... people, even the smartest ones seem to lack common courtesy and common sense...

Anyways, no need to reply...just...typing
- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
Post edited by VR3 on

Comments

• hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited December 2006
    Give 'em hell KID!
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited December 2006
    Welcome to retail!!! I can tell you that the lessons you learn on the floor of a retail store, especially a smaller niche market store like you are working in, will be some of the most valuable business lessons you can learn. I always threaten to send some of our new MBA's to work in the local stores so they can learn how and why people buy things, because obviously the big name business schools don't teach that.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited December 2006
    It's just business Trey, don't let it bother you. You win some, you lose some. The retail public can be as faithful as a dog in heat. Just do your best, the business will come and people will respect you for what you do and how you treat them.
    Carl

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,565
    edited December 2006
    Well, Ive kind of figured out sales in general, I have alot more to learn obviously --

I guess I figured I wouldnt have to be a salesman to my friends... if they have a job they plan to stay at a while, make money off what they do - then I would support them.. sure Id give them a lil hell, but I definitely wouldnt go behind their backs on stuff....

Now its different with real customers Ive never met, we have no direct ties and they could really care less overall who they buy from...

But I like 95% of my customers.. there are a few of course that I cant stand - but thats no big deal... I laugh about alot of the situations that I encounter with those 5% - its alot of good memories! hehe!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,861
    edited December 2006
    Leave a message on her voicemail that your owner is having a holiday special on that certain guitar at $119, and oh yeah Merry Christmas.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable