DIY Backlight / Ambilight

Options
dane_peterson
dane_peterson Posts: 1,903
edited June 2007 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
Hey guys,
Just thought I'd post up what I used for my DIY back light. I watched the CNET video: http://reviews.cnet.com/DIY_Home_Theater_Backlight_your_TV/4660-6449_7-6220102.html and ended up finding the following pieces:

Home Depot: GE Basic 18" Flourescent Light Fixture. (~$8.00) It comes with a warm light... simply remove that and install the following.

Menards: Westinghouse Realite Full Spectrum 18" bulb (6500K) (~$8.00)

I was lucky enough to have a switched wall outlet right behind the TV, so I can turn it on/off easily. Here's what it looks like. Give me your questions/feedback!
Post edited by dane_peterson on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited December 2006
    Options
    What's on the screen, a nuclear blast?
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • dane_peterson
    edited December 2006
    Options
    LoL. It's actually an HD cable broadcast of a boat in the Arctic... but my camera sucks, so I had to focus on the wall first, and then take the pic of the screen, to keep the backlight effect from completely washing out in the pic.
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited December 2006
    Options
    Well, tell us what you think about it. Did you have problems with eye strain prior to the backlight that you no longer have? Does it enhance the PQ? How does it look to you?
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • ntculenuff
    ntculenuff Posts: 1,146
    edited December 2006
    Options
    not to sure about the ambilight thing i feel distracted by it. but am interested in hearing what it does for ya
    Speakers:
    Definitive BP7001sc mains
    Definitive C/L/R 3000 center
    Polk RT800i's rears
    Definitive supercube I Sub
    Audio:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010
    Emotiva XPA five Gen 3
    OPPO BDP-103 CD, SACD, DVD-A
    Video:
    Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
    OPPO BDP-103 Bluray
    Directv x's 2
  • Gaara
    Gaara Posts: 2,415
    edited December 2006
    Options
    For those who are not DIY inclined, the ideal lumes. I personally use two of these, one behind my home theater tv (34in tube) and one behind my computer monitor (24in tube). They are both 6500k bulbs, and I believe the bulb is 18in the whole thing is a little over 20in.

I can't use my HT without it, I thought it made a difference when I first got it, but then forgot to turn it on once. After about an hour of playing Black my eyes hurt and I didn't want to play anymore. The next time I went to play I realized the light was off, switched it back on, and then played for about 3 hours no problem.

I have no idea if it really improves picture quality, but it is definitely more enjoyable and I no longer have eye strain near the end of the movie. I used to watch movies and play games in total darkness, now the only light is the back light.

Jared
  • mldennison
    mldennison Posts: 307
    edited December 2006
    Options
    looks really nice, have you noticed a difference?

my previous roommate did something similar and it really helped with eye strain, i never noticed a difference in PQ though.
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited December 2006
    Options
    Reminds me of a car coming over the hill, right behind the TV.;)
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • dane_peterson
    edited December 2006
    Options
    The whole claim at improving PQ hasn't been apparent to me, but I definitely feel more comfortable watching movies and shows. I like to have all the lights off when we're watching a flick. My wife on the otherhand wants a little light in the room. It seems to be a good common ground.
  • Lsi9
    Lsi9 Posts: 616
    edited December 2006
    Options
    I use the ideal lume...I dont think a backlight really does all that much for eye strain for me but it does look nice in a dark room...The rule of thumb according to ideal lume is to project 10% of the light that the tv is emitting.

Audio Physic Scorpio II
    Pathos Logos
    MIT Shotgun S3
    Bada HD-22 CDP
  • dane_peterson
    edited December 2006
    Options
    Yeah, I think I need to tone it down a bit yet, but I just got it set up before bed last night. I guess tin foil is an effective way of taming the light, so I'm going to experiment with it over the next few days.
    All in all, I think it adds a nice effect. And I definitely prefer it to having a lamp on somewhere in the room. It only cost $16.xx, so if I decide I don't like it anymore, it's no skin off my teeth.
  • Blownrx7
    Blownrx7 Posts: 137
    edited December 2006
    Options
    Dane,
    Do you notice any humming coming from the light? I checked HD and they had the basic $8 fixture and a ~$28 fixture that was specifically labeled NO HUM.
    Still pretty cheap but just wondering if I should go for the more expensive version.
    TIA
  • szhleppy
    szhleppy Posts: 320
    edited December 2006
    Options
    Thanks for this one guys! I just ordered the ideal lume.

It's not something I probably would have noticed before reading this, but realized that with the Christmas tree up and the lights turned on (about 3 feet left of the TV area) the TV is more enjoyable to watch. Probably sounds cheesy, but I'm a sucker for this type of stuff!
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited June 2007
    Options
    Is that just one bulb behind your TV or did you use multiple? I am putting my LCD up on the wall and afraid that having just one bulb might get interfered shining down because the LCD bracket is in the way.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited June 2007
    Options
    Alright, so I have been looking high and low for a fixture to put behind my LCD on the wall, however, they are all too thick.....anyone know something that has a really low profile?

BL
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited June 2007
    Options
    I have an Ideal Lume thingy in the closet. I used it but it was too distracting. Hmmmm...I should probably sell it.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited June 2007
    Options
    Tried using rope light today.....complete failure, just not bright enough, maybe try another color :)