Here we go again... (slightly long)

MrNightly
MrNightly Posts: 3,370
edited December 2006 in The Clubhouse
G'Evening.

Here's the deal: Tell me if I'm crazy or not. There are three things in my life that are important to me, and they go something like this:

1) God
2) Family
3) Job/Education

Now, granted, at times those sometimes get confused and scattered in order of importance, but overall, I seek to keep them the way mentioned above. As I've posted before in the last year or so, quite a bit happened with my career of law enforcement. After leaving there, I took a manager's position at Lowe's, and while I have loved the work, the hours are killer for the family life. Also, I only get about 1 in 5 weekends off (Not good for religious purposes), and we only know our schedule at the max 2.5 weeks ahead of time. (Terrible for planning family stuff) Plus, the store is open from 4am to 11pm every single day except Sunday where they close at 9pm.

I also strongly wish to continue my education, and with the random retail schedule, it's quite impossible. At the same time, the bosses at work love me to death, I do a kick-**** job and am getting enrolled into their upper management program the first of the year. (Quite an accomplishment for one so new to the company, or so I hear) So, the forcast looks mighty fine in the Retail world.

But on the other hand, I've started looking for a M-F day job, and have begun that search again. Retail just plain sucks at times...

So my brother-in-law works for this engineering company here in town that is just booming! They are growing like crazy. Great company. He knows I am looking for a day job, and sends me this email as an assistant facilities guy. I'm like, "What the heck, it can't hurt to write the lady back who's hiring and get some info." I shoot her my resume, and this morning she writes back saying the position was already filled. Then an hour and a half later, she writes me back again and says the following: She and the VP where just discussing my resume and both feel that my qualifications would make me an ideal candidate for their Facilities Manager. Unfortunately they have a facilities manager currently but expect him to be moving on in 2007. Should that take place, she will call me immediately for my availability and interest.

OK. Needless to say, it would be a flex day job, extremely good beni's, and a company that rewards hard work. Everything that I have looked for, plus the ability to continue my schooling at night.

Here's my question/thought: Should I even continue the search for another job (I know I will regardless) or just get the upper management training from Lowe's they will offer to me for free, suck it all up, and then cross my fingers for the other manager to leave? I'm not a grass is greener kinda guy, but retail is just plain bad for the family.

Anyways, long winded. Sorry. I hate searching for jobs. Anybody know of an excellent company I should apply for? :D

Regards,
David
Honoured to be, an original SOPA founding member
Stuff...

RTi12's - front
CSi5 - center
FXi3's - surrounds
RTi4's - surrounds
SVS PB12-NSD/2 - sub :D:D:D
Denon 3805
Rotel RB-985 5-Channel Amplifier

Post edited by MrNightly on

Comments

• PolkWannabie
    PolkWannabie Posts: 2,763
    edited December 2006
    If it were me I would ...

Take advantage of all Lowe's has to offer and do the best you can while you are there ... If along the way either because you find another career opportunity or an opening occurs at this other firm in 2007 that you want to take advantage of then you do ...
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited December 2006
    If it were me, I'd be the picture of what Rick just said.

If Lowes wants to give you the training, jump on it. Knowledge only gives you greater marketability. At least your time at Lowes provides you with more than just a paycheck. When/IF this other position comes around, weigh your options. You will also be in a better position at that time, should you decide to move. If not, you will have the tools to advance at your present employ.

Just my .02...
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited December 2006
    It's great you love God and all, but if you don't take advantage of what is offered to you in life, you're a moron. Get hot and get trained. People say all kinds of shite to keep you on the line, F that, handle your business now.

P.S. No offense.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited December 2006
    One thing I've learned in business is that "the squeaky wheel gets the grease". If you want a set schedule at Lowes, then tactfully demand it. If you aren't serious about it, then no one else will take you seriously either.
  • cambir
    cambir Posts: 1,045
    edited December 2006
    Definitely take the training your company is offering...even if you will ultimately leave the company.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited December 2006
    MrNightly wrote:
    G'Evening.

Good Evening David, first off like you the first two most important things to me are:

1. GOD
    2. Family

3. Is my own personal business not yours.:D

I think you should:

A. Pray diligently on the matter, for you will get an answer;

B. Continue with the sure thing and persevere.;

C. Continue to look for the other career; and,

D. Always keep the facilities manager job option available and take it if offered.

Good luck and God Bless You.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited December 2006
    Take advantage of what Lowes is offering, See if you can talk to Lowes about better work hours & keep the other job in the wings for a possible move.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited December 2006
    I would ask Lowe's management to set your schedule and to start training you on the uppermanagement track. It makes you much more marketable. Also, by demanding a set schedule, your demonstrating leadership and self respect-two things that can help seperate you come review time.

Here's a little dirty secret: most of those "upper managment" classes really don't mean you'll get to those positions. They are meant to keep the good employees with the hope of moving up. In reality, the availability of those posts are few and far between. So once you complete their coursework and have a set schedule, go back to school.

Oh, and always look for other options. It can not hurt you.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited December 2006
    Keep in mind there's a lot more opportunity in Lowes than just the retail stores! They are just the end of the distribution channel. Upstream you have all the mgt jobs in the distribution centers, fleet and carrier mgt, etc. Those are more regular work week jobs and pay pretty well. A few weeks ago I was at the Lowes corporate HQ in Charlotte and that is one fantastic corporate campus, and I'm sure the jobs there are the type you are looking for. Doro may have been a little blunt, but also right on the money! Soak up all the training they will give you, and keep pushing the button on what you want. Gently, with the backing of job performance and training, you'll get where you want to go. In today's world, you have to keep you eye out for the other opportunities also. Don't be afraid to walk through the door when a good opportunity presents itself.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited December 2006
    Retail is a brutal career anymore, that being said, tell them you'll take the classes but you also need a schedule that gives your family a fair shake. To be honest, big retailers love people like yourself who are willing to put work first. They will take advantage of your work ethic and until you stand up for your family your schedule will continue to suck.

I saw store management get screwed by Best Buy corporate on hours until they all got together and reset the schedule so that everyone in the store had either Sat. or Sun. off. Funny thing happened, corporate saw that sales went up, absenteeism was down, and customer satisfaction improved.

In the meantime, keep your eyes open for other opportunities.
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited December 2006
    Never burn a bridge...you may have to get to the other side again.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited December 2006
    I would stay at Lowe's also. It sounds like you have a good thing going there and the schedule will get better with senority.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited December 2006
    I would seek the answer within number 1 and 2, I am including you in #2.

Be Happy, life is not a dress rehersal for something else.

RT1
  • MrNightly
    edited December 2006
    I would stay at Lowe's also. It sounds like you have a good thing going there and the schedule will get better with senority.

Thanks for all the advice guys. Some good stuff in here.

Regarding the schedule getting better, that's kinda what I thought too at first. But with my next promotion (After completing the upper management training which is 9 weeks and I'm getting enrolled for the next class) the hours go to straight salary, (No OT) and we will put in 50+ a week. So actually, the hours plain suck. 4am - 2:30pm or 12:30pm - 11pm. Not alot or room in between.

Regarding Doro's comments, Get hot and Get trained. I like it. When you say get hot, what exactly are you implying though? Tell them I want set hours? (3 people have been let go because they requested those in the past 4 months) Lowe's is such a HUGE machine, that they won't bend the rules for any worker, no matter how kick-**** they do. While I love huge corporations, a little personality is always nice as well.

I think I will take the Upper management training, and then see what opens along the way.

The other problem with Corporate, is they don't have many jobs here in KC. If you wished to move to NC, then it'd be heaven for ya. Distribution centers and the such, I'll have to check on. Good Idea though dkg999.

And, I'm not burning any bridges. Hell, only my wife and family know I'm even looking. But how can I even think about continuing my education on such a random schedule? It just wouldn't happen.

Anyways, Nobody mentioned any rock solid companies they would love to work for ;) Common guys...
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    Denon 3805

• jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited December 2006
    MrNightly wrote:
    Anyways, Nobody mentioned any rock solid companies they would love to work for ;) Common guys...

Uh, might be because no one knows your background. Do some research on salary.com and the big job boards (careerbuilder, monster, hotjobs, etc...) and see what's out there for yourself.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited December 2006
    MrNightly wrote:
    Thanks for all the advice guys. Some good stuff in here.

Regarding the schedule getting better, that's kinda what I thought too at first. But with my next promotion (After completing the upper management training which is 9 weeks and I'm getting enrolled for the next class) the hours go to straight salary, (No OT) and we will put in 50+ a week. So actually, the hours plain suck. 4am - 2:30pm or 12:30pm - 11pm. Not alot or room in between.

Regarding Doro's comments, Get hot and Get trained. I like it. When you say get hot, what exactly are you implying though? Tell them I want set hours? (3 people have been let go because they requested those in the past 4 months) Lowe's is such a HUGE machine, that they won't bend the rules for any worker, no matter how kick-**** they do. While I love huge corporations, a little personality is always nice as well.

I think I will take the Upper management training, and then see what opens along the way.

The other problem with Corporate, is they don't have many jobs here in KC. If you wished to move to NC, then it'd be heaven for ya. Distribution centers and the such, I'll have to check on. Good Idea though dkg999.

And, I'm not burning any bridges. Hell, only my wife and family know I'm even looking. But how can I even think about continuing my education on such a random schedule? It just wouldn't happen.

I mean that you're obviously motivated, so do everything you possibly can. I'm not saying make demands per se but certainly be tactful in getting more work and responsibility. You need to do whatever you need to do, regardless of how much it sucks or how difficult it is to make the future better for you and your family. Is that enough Tony Robbins for you :)
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • PolkThug
    edited December 2006
    There's always slave labor available at Rancho de Thug.
  • PolkWannabie
    PolkWannabie Posts: 2,763
    edited December 2006
    MrNightly wrote:
    But how can I even think about continuing my education on such a random schedule?
    The management training you are referring to is clearly a form of education ... and ... when you get through that if you can take on a management position at Lowe's this will speak voulmes to the next potential employer if/when things don't get better where you are and you don't want to relocate with Lowe's.
  • PolkThug
    edited December 2006
    The management training you are referring to is clearly a form of education ... and ... when you get through that if you can take on a management position at Lowe's this will speak voulmes to the next potential employer if/when things don't get better where you are and you don't want to relocate with Lowe's.

Very good point. Always be mindful of things that "look good on a resume".
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited December 2006
    This is one of those situations that reminds me of the "Risky Business" quote from "Booger from ROTN"......"Sometimes you just have to say...WHAT THE ****!!!!":D
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited December 2006
    my list would be more like this.. of importance to me ;)

1. food/booze
    2. audio
    3. video
    4. job
    5. family

:p
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited December 2006
    ND13 wrote:
    This is one of those situations that reminds me of the "Risky Business" quote from "Booger from ROTN"......"Sometimes you just have to say...WHAT THE ****!!!!":D

Noel, I was thinking the same exact quote.. you beat me to it. ;) WTF!
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited December 2006
    ND13 wrote:
    "Sometimes you just have to say...WHAT THE ****!!!!":D
    I had a bumper sticker that said that.......good stuff......
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • MrNightly
    edited December 2006
    jdhdiggs wrote:
    Uh, might be because no one knows your background. Do some research on salary.com and the big job boards (careerbuilder, monster, hotjobs, etc...) and see what's out there for yourself.

Ya, I'm on most boards out there. I just was throwing that out. Not asking to be spoon fed here buddy. ;)

I'm doing research daily... trust me. never hurts to get others idea's on a good company as well.

But whatever... What the F#$@. :D
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    Denon 3805

• shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    edited December 2006
    MrNightly,
    I know I am relatively new and my opinion may or may not matter to you. My parents never went to college and worked in similar jobs as you are in right now with the same concerns of family and God, etc. My dad accepted the fact that there would be bumps in the road and a suck **** schedule - he came to this country and worked his way up from a swing manager to the VP of Northeast Operations in McDonalds Corporation. NO, I will never be ashamed to say my dad worked for McDonalds. Why? Because even though his hours sucked, he took advantage of the ooportunity the company presented knowing in the long run he could advance. Seems like you are in the same situation. He ALWAYS made time for us and his religion and whatever else was important - the job was a means to an end, but it afforded him the opportunity to send all of us to college and taught us a work ethic that is second to none. You work hard and love your family and God. Pray on it and let your heart guide you.

PS- The one thing that stuck out to me is that with the schedule you described there may be times to take advantage of some fun things. For example, if you work the early shift, you're off at 2:30pm. If you have kids, get them from school and do something to surprise them. If you have the late shift, get them up early and make breakfast for them and go for a walk or something as easy as that. Basically, don't worry about the time you are at work - optimize the time you are not.

Eventually with your new training and work ethic something more family and fun friendly will come along no doubt (maybe even that facilities manager job will open sooner than expected).

Just my .02 cents.
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • MrNightly
    edited December 2006

Dude, I'm in a management position at Lowes... I'm managing almost a forth of the entire store, including complete control of sales/budget/inventory management/direct reports/ect... The next step would be second from the top in the retail line, Assistant store manager.

But you are right, it would be a form of education. Never thought of it like that. Good points. Thanks for the words.
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    Denon 3805