Kinda feeling crappy about myself

phoneisbusy
phoneisbusy Posts: 867
edited December 2006 in The Clubhouse
So, I'm starting to get festive and contemplating blowing the budget to get me a nice audio goodie for Christmas because I was so "good" this year. :rolleyes:

I pass by the company Christmas charity display and on it are the wishlists for some moms and kids in the half way house and shelters. Some mom's biggest wish is some gift cards to Safeway/Walmart and bus passes. The wish list of the moms, boys and girls looked so bleak compared to mine. :(

I hope this won't be taken as a guilt trip on anyone other then myself but it was a kick in the head reminder to me about how blessed I was. I've decided to scaled back some of my holiday goodies for myself and instead have been picking up some of the items from the wishlists.

I'm having a hard time phrasing because I don't want this to be taken as a some sermon. I'm just hoping that it reminds us about what is important. I'm just thankful for my health, family and the friends here and on this forum. I just hope we can find it in us to be generous to everyone this season because for some, their expectations aren't very much.

regards

Dave
Time is the best teacher. Unfortunately it kills all its students.
Post edited by phoneisbusy on

Comments

• dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited December 2006
    No need to feel crappy, I would say you are just a normal caring person. Life is a balance, and unfortunately we can't help everyone and you need rewards to make the hard work worth it. Rewards come in a lot of flavors, and the ability to help out others is a reward for a lot of us. I set aside a certain amount of money each year to give to charities and to help others out. I also volunteer some hours to help families in need and elderly people make repairs on their houses. I've had people tell me I could do more, however I'm OK with the balance overall and I can feel good about it. More importantly I take my kids with me when I work on peoples homes. The elderly enjoy them, and for the families in need they hopefully gain an appreciation of what they have.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited December 2006
    I get around that feeling during the holidays by knowing that all year long I make my 10%+ donations throughout the year. That's not to say I don't give more during the holidays but I know that I've been helping all year so the sting of guilt about others hardships isn't there, it is more a deep feeling of compassion for those in more need than myself.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited December 2006
    Good post Dave.

Reminds me, I need to do a little more than I have so far this year.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited December 2006
    Agreed. I'm kind of in that young and selfish mode right now. In a commission / sales environment, you're kind of bred to think of your numbers, your paycheck, etc., and that has a habit of bleeding over into personal stuff.

Always checking my stocks, updating a net worth spreadsheet I made, looking for new gear online, etc. . .

Christmas is a good time to get back to basics and try to improve someone else's life. Good post.
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited December 2006
    The holiday season is not about giving to yourself. It's about giving to others, especially those who are in need. Isn't that a large part of the religious significance of the holidays?

So yeah, you should be concerned about self-indulgence (except for audio gear, of course).
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • Polkersince85
    Polkersince85 Posts: 2,883
    edited December 2006
    I typically don't contribute to the large organized charities. I like to go one on one when I can. For me personally, I get a better feeling when I help someone that I know can use it. A lot of opportunities are out there to assist others, be it monetary or labor. For the older or disabled, things that we take for granted can be a huge burden on someone who can't do it themselves. For something that we can fix for a few dollars and in minutes, they may worry how to pay for it or do without. If you look around you, probably a lot of the people you see are a week or two paychecks from being homeless themselves. There was a disabled lady I knew that bought a small house through an assisted program. Nice little house but she had no furniture. Over a period of about two months, I found enough nice furniture at the thrift stores to furnish her whole house for her. The cost was minimal but the assistance was priceless to her. Hold the door for someone tomorrow and see the smile.
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited December 2006
    Thanks for the thoughtful post Dave. We all need to keep everything in perspective, especially during the Holidays. Send a serviceman in Iraq a phone card, a toy for a kid, a coat for a homeless person. Every little bit counts.
    Carl

• Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,315
    edited December 2006
    This is a good time of year to "pay it forward"
  • tentoze
    tentoze Posts: 133
    edited December 2006
    Sounds to me to be in the real spirit of the season as I understand it. Well said, sir.
  • Mazeroth
    Mazeroth Posts: 1,585
    edited December 2006
    Last year and this year (and I hope forever) my brothers and parents stopped doing the gift exchange and instead we donate all the money to charity. I feel we have an abundance in our lives and it's better to give than to receive.
  • cambir
    cambir Posts: 1,045
    edited December 2006
    Excellent post...Holiday spirit defined. Thanks.:)
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,428
    edited December 2006
    Dave, thanks for putting things in their proper perspective.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk