12 Albums of Christmas Karma

apc
apc Posts: 779
edited December 2006 in The Clubhouse
Not Christmas music, but some vintage albums from my collection from the 60s, 70s and 80s. They may not appeal to everyone and they represent my taste during those decades. For your 2 channel vinyl listening pleasure, I offer the following LPs in average condition (they have character because they were played often).

The Beatles - Abbey Road - released 1969
Uriah Heep - Demons and Wizards - released 1972
Rush - 2112 - released 1976
Foreigner - Foreigner - released 1977
Billy Joel - The Stranger - released 1977
Kansas - Point of Know Return - released 1977
Jimmy Buffett - You Had To Be There - released 1978
Jimmy Buffett - Son of a Son of a Sailor - release 1978
Boston - Don't Look Back - released 1978
Pink Floyd - The Wall - released 1979
Charlie Daniels Band - Full Moon - released 1980
Jimmy Buffett - One Particular Harbour - released 1983

Simple rules: minimum of 50 posts and tell me about your vintage vinyl system. We'll draw a name Saturday, Dec. 16.
Husband, Father, Son, Brother, Friend.
Post edited by apc on

Comments

• ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited December 2006
    color me IN. The wall? 2112? NICE!! and I should have a Beatles album on vinyl just to keep me rounded.

My vinyl rig? currently disconnected, but oddly enough, reconnecting it is on my "to do" list this week

BSR Quanta 500 turntable, Music Hall Phono pre. it aing a reference rig, best I can say is it does the job OK.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,703
    edited December 2006
    Hey, Nice Karma!
    Count me in too. Great variety of albums, most of which are missing from my collection.

My vinyl rig is comprised of an Oracle Alexandria table with an SME Series IIIs tonearm. I currently have an AT14Sa cartrdidge mounted, but often use my Shure M97xE as well.

The turntable is hooked up to a semi vintage (1991) Sony TA-F333ESL integrated amp and running a pair of Mirage M-3 speakers.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • DollarDave
    DollarDave Posts: 2,575
    edited December 2006
    Don't know if I qualify. I want a vinyl rig and have a Sony receiver (from a Skynut karma) and an H/K (that I bought from work recently) - I will karma one or the other (or both) after I setup the rig. I have several sets of speakers to pick from including my CRS+'s, I just need some incentive to grab a turntable. I gave away all my albums and Pioneer turntable a few years back when I thought CDs were the gift from God... bottom line, If I win I will re-assemble a rig using advice from this board. They may tell me to scrap both receivers and go another direction. I guess I would have to karma both of then.
  • apc
    edited December 2006
    Glad to include you, Dave.
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited December 2006
    Please count me in. Got my vinyl rig up and running an AR TT that I bought from Troy at polkfest, and would love to increase my collections. All great albums by the way.
  • cambir
    cambir Posts: 1,045
    edited December 2006
    Don't have enough posts...just wanted to say great choices.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited December 2006
    IN!

My rig consists of:

VPI HW-19 mkIII turntable
    BDT custom tube phono stage
    Melos SHA-1 tube pre
    Conrad Johnson MV-75A1 tube amp
    Quad ESL-63 speakers.

ALL analog, baby. Mostly vintage.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited December 2006
    BIG TIME IN PLEASE!

My vintage vinyl system is:

VPI HW 19 MK IV
    SME Series V tonearm
    Taliman Alchemist cartridge, soon to be replaced with a Dynavector 10X5
    The Lead Balloon isolation system
    The Clamp, record clamp circa 1985
    The plinth of the turntable is layered with sheets of sorbothane
    A vintage Nitty Gritty 1.5 FI record cleaning machine soon to be replaced with a VPI 16.5
    A 1985 Zerostat ion gun
    The Perfect Pitch speed setting guide
    Numerous levels, overhang protractors, azimuth setters, VTF adjustment scales, VTA log for the SME V tonearm.

And last but not least, TENDER LOVING CARE!!!
  • ESavinon
    ESavinon Posts: 3,066
    edited December 2006
    In please. I have denon dp59l tt with a shure v15 type v mr connected to a apt holman preamp, a proton 2120 amp and a pair of design acoustics ps10 a speakers.
    SRT For Life; SDA Forever!

The SRT SEISMIC System:
    Four main satellite speakers, six powered subs, two dedicated for LFE channel, two center speakers for over/under screen placement and three Control Centers. Amaze your friends, terrorize your neighbors, seize the audio bragging rights for your state. Go ahead, buy it; you only go around once.
  • starchaser
    starchaser Posts: 354
    edited December 2006
    Great Karma! ooh.. RUSH
    I'm in.

MMF-5
    Onk P306RS
    Onk M506RS
    ^^^ All from the house of a PF host.
    1C's from some old 'batty' polkster in GA.
    "There's a lot of places driving up and down I-95 that smell like ****" F1Nut
  • ntculenuff
    ntculenuff Posts: 1,146
    edited December 2006
    I wouldn't call my vinyl system vintage but I do listen to records and have been slowly adding to my small collection of records, have about 20 so far (mostly electronic, few classic rock, need more though). I have been lurking on ebay for some more classic stuff, hoping to win some soon :)

please count me in
    Speakers:
    Definitive BP7001sc mains
    Definitive C/L/R 3000 center
    Polk RT800i's rears
    Definitive supercube I Sub
    Audio:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010
    Emotiva XPA five Gen 3
    OPPO BDP-103 CD, SACD, DVD-A
    Video:
    Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
    OPPO BDP-103 Bluray
    Directv x's 2
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited December 2006
    I have a Benjamin Miracord 50H II turntable I purchased new in the early 70s'. It has a wood base, floating suspension, heavy steel platter, 33,45,78 speeds and will operate in a manual, semi-automatic and fully automatic mode. It is original except for the cartridge and stylus which have been replaced with an Ortofon Super OM10. The headshell leads and interconnects have been upgraded to Audioquest (Sidewinder interconnects). I recently had it serviced by a man here in town that works primarily on vintage McIntosh gear and it still works very well. It was a mid level table when I bought it ($350 new in the 70s). I have a full set of documetation as well as a copy of a Stereo Review Magazine from March 1973 where this table was reviewed. It is currently hooked up to a Pioneer SX-3800 and a pair of Large Advents (both from the late 70s) as a retro rig. When purchased originally it was paired with a Concord Mark 20 reciever and a pair of AR4x speakers. I currently have 400 ± LPs, most of which were purchased in the 70s (and need a serious cleaning).

In please.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • candyliquor35m
    candyliquor35m Posts: 2,267
    edited December 2006
    In. I couldn't resist this one.

This year I upgraded from my Pioneer PL-100 to a Technics SL-1800 and bought a shure M97xE cartridge. Powered with a carver tfm-45 amp and carver ct-24 pre with sda 2b's (sl2000's with the 2.2uf/50v mod that someone recommended in another thread).

great karma!
  • candyliquor35m
    candyliquor35m Posts: 2,267
    edited December 2006
    In. I couldn't resist this one.

I'm in, I'm out, I'm in, I'm out ok I'm out. I have too many albums already and have access to a thrift store where on saturday they have albums for 50 cents and the hunt is just as fun as the find.
  • jmwest1970
    jmwest1970 Posts: 846
    edited December 2006
    In please. My vintage vinyl system is vaporware, because I need somewhere to start!
  • dagame27
    dagame27 Posts: 574
    edited December 2006
    I might be on the border for this one as well. My father just gave me his old Sony turntable from the 70's, so I am just starting out. I hope to be in :)
    ChrisPreamp: Anthem Pre 2L (Jan-Phillips Green) Processor: Marantz SR7012 Amp: B&K 200.5Streaming: Bluesound Node 2IDAC: Eastern Electric Minimax Plus4K Bluray: Panasonic UB820Mains: Von Schweikert VR2Center: Von Schweikert LCR15 Subs: 2 SVS Sb13 Ultra (HT Only) Analysis Plus Cables
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited December 2006
    Great Karma! I'm in please.

My vintage vinyl is all Marantz. A 6300 turntable with an AudioTechnica 440 ML catridge, 3800 pre amp and a 510M power amp. I use some Polk original Monitor 7's in my vintage vinyl rig.

The turntable

MarantzCabinent0052.jpg

The pre-amp

MarantzCabinent0092.jpg

The power amp

MarantzCabinent0042.jpg

The system also includes a 5025B tape deck and a 150 tuner

Tuner

MarantzCabinent002.jpg

cassette deck

MarantzCabinent003.jpg

The setup

marantzcabinent0012-1.jpg
    Carl

• apc
    edited December 2006
    Putting all names in a hat and my daughter will pick a name. Will announce later. Thanks for your participation. I enjoyed the system info you provided. There are some fine setups out there!
  • apc
    edited December 2006
    We cut out a piece of paper for each participant and wrote each name on one. The names were then placed in her favorite leopard print hat. She was very exited as this was her first chance to pick the winner in a drawing. With a full grin, she shuffled the names and picked...

shack

Please PM me with your address info.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited December 2006
    Congrats and good luck you lucky bastage!
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited December 2006
    Congrats on the win Shack.
  • starchaser
    starchaser Posts: 354
    edited December 2006
    Congrats Shack!
    "There's a lot of places driving up and down I-95 that smell like ****" F1Nut
  • shack
    edited December 2006
    Wow....Thanks! I've been out of town all weekend. Great karma. I've got some to pass on myself...but there have been so many of late, I'm going to do it after the first of the year. PM sent.

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • shack
    edited December 2006
    My karma arrived in the mail today. I've seen speakers shipped that were not packed anywhere near as well as these 12 albums. Great Karma. Thanks again Tony!

• apc
    edited December 2006
    Glad they got there safe. Hope you enjoy!