Replacement Killers sound

Options
burdette
burdette Posts: 1,194
edited July 2002 in Music & Movies
I own the $10 DVD of The Replacement Killers. Tried to listen to it last night and had serious sound problems. All I got out of every speaker was a combination of "hiss" and "click click. Not white noise.. this was rhythmic. Freaked out at first wondering what in the world was wrong, but popped in The Matrix and all was working fine. It is the disc. It say Dolby Digital 5.1 on the back. I didn't have time last night to play around with other settings just to try to get the soundtrack, but the receiver tried both DD and DPL and nuthin' but hissin' and clickin'.

Anyone had the same problem with this or other DVDs before I take this back to get a new one?

Thanks.
Post edited by burdette on

Comments

• Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited July 2002
    Options
    I JUST bought that DVD yesterday. I'll pop it in tonight and let you know what happens........that is bizarre.

I too paid $10 at Hollywood Video. Thought it was a good buy for a pretty decent action flick.

Spoiler alert......................

Did you ever notice the words "FAT" splattered in blood on the wall after the opening scene shoot-out? Very clever tribute to him.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited July 2002
    Options
    Tribute to whom?

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • burdette
    edited July 2002
    Options
    Never noticed that.. although I always notice Mira Sorvino in that black teddy and neat makeup and.. uh...

ANyway... Chow Yun Fat is the star. Don't know if it is a tribute or not, but that is the connection to the word 'fat.'
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited July 2002
    Options
    Replacement Killers plays fine on my system. DD5.1 decoding is flawless - no funny sounds. Bass is strong and sound effects are decent. I'd ask for a replacement, but I'd also check your "bad" disc on someone else's machine, just to be absolutely sure your decoding system is not going bad.

I always thought it was a tribute to Fat, the star. He stares at the blood on the mirror and seems to linger on it, with a sly smile.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • burdette
    edited July 2002
    Options
    I got a replacement copy of Replacement Killers last night... this one has the same problem as the other. It says it is DD, and the receiver switches into that mode, but all I get is a consistent hissy/clicky sound from all channels. I switched over to PL and it was the same thing. I was so frustrated, I didn't think to switch it over to stereo or try to downmix it, but I suppose I'll try that tonight.

Before I got my new DD receiver, I was running the DVD player through my 2-channel Onkyo, and the sound was fine (as good as any other DVD). And the DD works just dandy on every other DVD I've played... even played with the SetUp feature on Toy Story last night.. all the channels played when they were supposed to, etc.

Anyone heard of anything like this with other DVDs? Any idea why ONLY this disc would produce this problem on my new receiver?? EVERY other DVD we've played, from new to copies from the library to rentals, current movies to oldies, play just fine.
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited July 2002
    Options
    Does your DVD have an option that could be conflicting with your receiver somehow?
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • burdette
    edited July 2002
    Options
    I don't know. The DVD player has a decoder and a full set of controls, bass management, etc. It had been set to downmix everything because I had only a 2-channel receiver.. and I was pretty dang frustrated the first night with the new DD receiver until I remembered that fact. I used the decoder on the DVD player and the 5.1 direct inputs on the receiver for a couple of days until I got a cable for the digital connection. But I didn't play RK. I suppose I could reconnect that way and see if the problem disappears. I don't know if I mentioned, but the picture looks great... it is only the sound.

But I'm not decoding with the DVD player now. I went in anyway and made sure that all the settings were correct/neutral.

The really odd thing, to me, is that it is ONLY this movie. I don't think I know anyone else with a 5.1 set up to test it for me. I also haven't tested to see if it is the same problem on the fullscreen side as the widescreen.

I suppose I'll contact both manufacturers and see what they say.. but I'm still struck by the fact that this doesn't happen on any other DVD... We watched a rented copy of Black Hawk Down two nights ago and were blown away...
  • HBombToo
    edited July 2002
    Options
    I live south of Columbia, MO and Just noticed you are in Mid MO...

If your close we could try it on my Cal Audio and see what happens.
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • burdette
    edited July 2002
    Options
    All right, fine.. I've already admitted that although I'm an audio-head (bought my first stereo instead of my first car), I'm new to home theater...

I put in Replacement Killers again and played around with my DVD player. There are 4 audio streams available... 1/4 gave me the hissy clicky sound... 2/4 gave me pure clean 5.1 sound. So, the problem is solved, but I don't understand it. I can't find a listing of what the 4 audio streams are.. what could the first one be that gave me that problem when #2 was what I wanted??

Anyway... problem solved... Mia sounds great in her black teddy and leather jacket....

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

By the way, how many miles "south of Columbia, MO" are you??
  • HBombToo
    edited July 2002
    Options
    I live South of Ashland about 2 Miles then take East Forsee Road onto a private development. About 60 acre's with a lake and for this transplant it is a very different world from Pittsburgh PA where I'm from.
    ***WAREMTAE***