Stick with older RTi line, or go with newer stuff? (RTi70 vs RTi8)

sbpolk
sbpolk Posts: 644
edited December 2006 in Speakers
K guys, I need a little more guidance.

Here is my thread in the last week or so talking about getting polks again.
http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46795

I got some RTi70's that were damaged in shipping, and am now shipping those back to the seller. That leaves me in a bit of a pickle, and that is this:

Find another set of used RTi70's, or get RTi8's?

I can get a great deal on brand new RTi8's, CSi5, RTi4's, and FXi3's. I can get them all for about $900 delivered to my door. In black or cherry!

I am having a hard time finding a decent set of RTi70's for a decent price. I love the 70's and CSi40. I have FXi30's, and will have a set of RTi28's for rears. If I pay the going rate for RTi70's (if I can find some, and get them delivered to me!) I will be in this setup for almost EXACTLY what I could buy the brand new RTi system for.

I listed to the RTi8, RTi10, and RTi12 yesterday at lenght, and I really loved them all. With an AVR to power them, I think the RTi8 would be my logical choice. I thought they sounded great.

I love the look and sound of the older RTi line. I like the look of it (especially in black) over the new RTi stuff. However, I would be in a 3-5 year old system for the same price as the equivalent newer stuff, brand new.

I will be picking up a pair of RTi8's tomorrow, and will AB them alongside the RTi70's that are going back. That should really settle the issue for me, but I want to know the collective opinion of the polk forum.

Shoot away!!

PS, I am NOT an audiophile (obviously) and when I hear something I like, I can't explain why it sounds that way, or why something sounds better than the other. That is why I might need your help explaining it to me! ;)
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell
Post edited by sbpolk on

Comments

• Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited December 2006
    PS, I am NOT an audiophile (obviously) and when I hear something I like, I can't explain why it sounds that way, or why something sounds better than the other. That is why I might need your help explaining it to me! ;)

Nah.

You don't need us for that. Trust your own ears.

Get what you want and don't look back. If you like the Rti8's, then go for it.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • TheReaper
    TheReaper Posts: 636
    edited December 2006
    Well, here is my opinion, keep in mind I only had the RTi8 for 2 weeks, and the RTi70 for 2 years.

The RTi70 has it's faults; more diffuse sounding the lower they go, a bit bass shy, a little too much tweeter, too reinforced in the upper xover region. But they have a tonality that I really like.

The RTi8 from what I can remember; was cleaner sounding, also a tick too much tweeter, had more bass but it was poofier.
    Win7 Media Center -> Onkyo TXSR702 -> Polk Rti70
  • sbpolk
    edited December 2006
    Just spent some time listening to the 70's again, after having listened to the 8's yesterday. I couldn't tell you what the differences were, but I can tell you after listening to the 70's again, they just sound great to me. I guess I will still bring in a set of 8's to AB compare, but I think I want to get another set of 70's. Getting the 8's would require to sell off the rest of the system, and I just don't think I want to do that right now. Maybe if I hear a huge difference tommorrow....
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell
  • surfntomm
    surfntomm Posts: 185
    edited December 2006
    hey i have rti70's and i personally do not think there is too much highs as was posted previously. what i have is the new rti line (csi5 rti6's) with my rti70's the newer center and bookshelves are better than then previous line but i prefer the 70's so i kept them. they go fine together for movies. nothing wrong with getting a pair of 70's instead of 8's just because they are older. one generation is not bad. what is the going rate for 70's because i got mine for 160 each at frys 4 years ago .
  • sbpolk
    edited December 2006
    surfntomm wrote:
    what is the going rate for 70's because i got mine for 160 each at frys 4 years ago .

That plus shipping. Used. Four years later. The problem is that they went on that firesale at the time, there and at Circuit city, but used they still seem to bring premium prices. There is a set on ebay for $500 plus shipping! Won't sell for that, I am sure, but still!
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,966
    edited December 2006
    Neither... LSi7 and a ham sandwhich :)
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • sbpolk
    edited December 2006
    Sid, sell me a set of LSi9's, 7's, and an LSiC and I will be happy!

I don't think I would be able to swing the scratch for seperate amplification for some time, and the 4ohm load I have been reading about... I just don't think my Pioneer Elite VSX-53tx will do the job. Tell me different (and sell me some speakers for cheap!)
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,966
    edited December 2006
    IMO...

Ive owned the RT5, RT55, RT35i, RT25i, CS245i, RTi70 ---

And I would have to say the most BALANCED between detail, slam, you name it - would have to be the RT35i...

In order of greatness...

RT35i > RT5 > RT55 > RT25i > RTi70 (CS245i dosnt count)
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited December 2006
    55i trumps 35i.

your deal.

RT1
    oooooooooooooo just noticed this was my 3333 post, do I win something for this, how about a one way trip down the mississippi in a row boat with one oar????

Still lovin Club Polk. On to 3334.
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited December 2006
    You're on the right track! Bring in the RTi8's and give them a listen and compare them to the Rti70's. Only your ears can tell you what is right. I have the Rti6's in a 2nd HT system, and I find the tweeter to be a little tinney and bright, sometimes over-powering. My ears hear the RTi40/CSi40 tweeter and balance to be much more neutral and realistic. I do use the Fxi5/Fxi3's as surrounds with my Rti70's and CSi40's. To me the brighter tweeter works well in surrond duty. I also do not like the newer RTi's for music, although when my 16 yr. old daughter plays some of the newer rap/hip-hop music on them, they seem to be voiced really well for that.

We had a local Club Polk gathering a while back and tried an assortment of gear with another members RTi70's. With the right gear, I was amazed at how good they sounded for music.

Take your time, listen, and make your choice. This hobby is about having fun!
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • Maurice
    Maurice Posts: 517
    edited December 2006
    I can get a great deal on brand new RTi8's, CSi5, RTi4's, and FXi3's. I can get them all for about $900 delivered to my door.

Hell, take that deal and run, dont walk. And if you do, dibs on the fxi30's.;)
    Everytime I think I'm out, THEY PULL ME BACK IN!!!!!!

Polk 70's,40,30's
    Velo DLS 3500 Sub
    JVC 61" HD-ILA
    Sony DA4ES AVR
    Oppo 981 DVD
    Sony CDP-CX235 CD
    Signal Bi-wires
    AR ProII IC's
  • sbpolk
    edited December 2006
    Maurice wrote:
    Hell, take that deal and run, dont walk. And if you do, dibs on the fxi30's.;)

VULTURES! :cool: