Christmas Trees

schwarcw
schwarcw Posts: 7,335
edited December 2006 in The Clubhouse
So what is your preference for a Christmas tree this season? Both have their advantages and disadvantages. It's a matter of personal preference and/or convenience.

I've gone full circle. When I first started out on my own, I had an artificial. I got sick of that after a number of years and went to the real trees. You can't beat the smell or the memorable adventure to find one. After some years with the real tree I got tired of the needles, the mess and the cost. The last three years I've got a tree pre-strung with lights. Now, I just drag it out of the attic, set it up and decorate. It looks great without the hassle and expense of a real tree.
Carl

Post edited by schwarcw on

Comments

• BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited December 2006
    personally i love the real evergreens, however my nephew thinks otherwise and finds it amusing to pull off branches and needles and try and eat them....so my parents resorted to artificial for the holidays so when the kids come over its safe
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited December 2006
    I love real tree, but now use an artificial tree due to the quality of tree we find in Florida and cost of it. All Christmas trees are not from Florida and are shipped in from up north. I do get a real reef for the inside of front door must people believe the artificial tree is real with the smell of the reef.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• masanz1
    masanz1 Posts: 511
    edited December 2006
    We normally cut our own from the Mt Hood forest, this year we went artificial, so far so good, no needles, but also no nice smell
    Matthew
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason

HT

Yamaha RX-V2500
    CS400-Center
    SDA 1A-Mains
    RT20-Surround
    None right now-Rears
    SVS 20-39PCi
    Infocus IN72
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited December 2006
    Real trees set my wife's allergies off big time. Artificial for us.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • cindy100
    cindy100 Posts: 256
    edited December 2006
    Although I like the smell you get from a live tree, I use artificial here so I don’t have to deal with the mess. I have 4 trees this year; someone else puts the lights and ribbon on the one in the living room and I do the rest of the decorating myself. I am very picky about how I want my trees to look and since I don’t have the patience to mess with lights, I prefer to pay someone to do that part of it.

The tree in my living room has been up since November 11 although it took me almost two weeks to get it completed. Yes, I know that is probably way too early for most of you and yes, by the end of the year, I am ready for them to be gone! Taking everything down is the only part of Christmas I don’t like.

Cindy
  • BottomFeeder
    BottomFeeder Posts: 1,684
    edited December 2006
    Real for me, although my wife would like to convert to artificial. It's mostly tradition with me; the smell, the sight, watering the thing, decorating...it's just a part of Christmas for me. Going artificial would seem a betrayal of sorts.
    "Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then." Bob Seger
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited December 2006
    I prefer real, but we are using a fake.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited December 2006
    has to be a real tree for me. my parents long time ago switched to artificial.. i only like real trees. we got so many of them up here in the Pacific Northwest
    plus they are a renewable resource.

I hate the pine needles everywhere. but it's a small price to pay for the wonderful smell it gives off.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited December 2006
    Real, forever. Fake trees are so, fake.
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited December 2006
    Fake trees have no soul. Why even bother putting something up?

I love how many people said "we'd prefer real, but went with fake for convenience". Really, how much does the inconvenience hit you? For a few hours when you buy it and a few hours when you throw it out at the end of the season.

Get a real tree.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • Sansui
    Sansui Posts: 372
    edited December 2006
    Artifical here.

Real trees, no matter how well watered, pose too much of a fire hazard.
    Be gentle, I'm new to all this...

The mind blowing speed of the BRAIN TRAIN...
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited December 2006
    Sansui wrote:
    Artifical here.

you must have watched the mythbusters xmas special :)
  • Maurice
    Maurice Posts: 517
    edited December 2006
    Sansui wrote:
    Artifical here.

Ditto, artificial prelit for me.
    Everytime I think I'm out, THEY PULL ME BACK IN!!!!!!

Polk 70's,40,30's
    Velo DLS 3500 Sub
    JVC 61" HD-ILA
    Sony DA4ES AVR
    Oppo 981 DVD
    Sony CDP-CX235 CD
    Signal Bi-wires
    AR ProII IC's
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited December 2006
    Real. Gotta have the smell.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited December 2006
    Natural until this year; got one of those artificial with lights; hard to tell the difference until you touch it...

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • cambir
    cambir Posts: 1,045
    edited December 2006
    Absolutely 100% real...always. The smell is a must-have for my Christmas time.
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited December 2006
    I miss the days when I had a family and we would go to the Christmas tree farm and cut down the tree of our choice. Good times.
  • Polk65
    Polk65 Posts: 1,405
    edited December 2006
    Real tree scent gets me in a good mood for winter.

The National Fire Protection Assoc. has some good advice on avoiding fires. I'm surprised candles came in at only 8% as the source for fires. http://www.nfpa.org/displayContent.asp?categoryID=296
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,600
    edited December 2006
    Fake. Bought a nice one during an after Christmas sale. Had it for 10 years.
    It cost about what one real tree would cost.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • whitetruk
    whitetruk Posts: 308
    edited December 2006
    real,balled and burlapped,bring it in for a couple days then plant.
    I thought it was fairly amusing also. The Polk Ogre doesn't always get 'it'
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited December 2006
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited December 2006
    Real... without a doubt.

I knew the end was nigh the first time I saw an "Upside-Down" Christmas tree.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited December 2006
    Although I have a fake one, I prefer real trees.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Mike682
    Mike682 Posts: 2,074
    edited December 2006
    Real tree
    Receiver: harmankardon AVR235
    Mains: polk R30
    Center: polk CSi3
    Rear Surrounds: polk R20
    Subwoofer: polk PSW404
    DVD: Panasonic DVD-S29
  • DollarDave
    DollarDave Posts: 2,575
    edited December 2006
    Artificial - the real ones make all the girls in the house stuffed up.
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited December 2006
    I like artificial, but the wifey loves a real tree. I just convinced her to come to the dark side, but she wants to buy a fake tree after the holidays to get it on sale (allways a little bargain hunter) and get a real tree this year.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • McLoki
    McLoki Posts: 5,231
    edited December 2006
    As a kid we always had (the same) fake tree and it was fine. Since I have been married, we have gotten a real tree.

Just something about looking for the perfect tree - Cutting it down yourself only to find out:

Damn are they heavy.
    What do you mean it won't fit in the truck.
    It didn't hit the ceiling out at the tree farm....
    roots must add alot of stability.
    Animals love it when you bring nature inside... :rolleyes:
    turning the tree (after lights and 1/2 the decorations are on it) to fill in holes in the branches.
    The smell of a live tree is just awesome.
    it is a day long event of cutting it down, setting it up, putting on lights and decarations.
    Everyone under 5 years old puts every decaration on the same branch.
    as the kids get older, the trees need to get taller to keep the breakable ornaments out of their reach.

It is a great tradition and I wouldn't change it at all. The whole family really gets into it.

Michael
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited December 2006
    nice post McLoki:)
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited December 2006
    Personally, I like the artificial. They are getting good with them and some of the newer ones, it can be real difficult to look at them from across the room and see that they aren't real.

The biggest benefit to the real trees are the aromas they release as they rot in your living room. If you want that real tree smell, you can always get a real wreath or one of those mantle pieces. Then you get teh small with only a small fraction of the clean up.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited December 2006
    Speaking of Christmas Tree smell, the Yankee Candle "Christmas Wreath" candle smells EXACTLY like Christmas Tree. It's uncanny. So for all you fake tree folks, there ya go :D
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.