Flooring Estimates

zombie boy 2000
zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
edited December 2006 in The Clubhouse
How 'bout a ballpark estimate for pulling up the carpet, sanding and finishing some hardwood floors in a small to medium-sized room?

What if the carpet (and all the staples and nails) have alreday been removed?
any ideas...

I've got a contractor that can get going on some rooms I haven't already tackled, as well as two rooms I've already started.
I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
Post edited by zombie boy 2000 on

Comments

• unc2701
    unc2701 Posts: 3,587
    edited December 2006
    Do the destruction (tear out of carpet & staples) & quarter round yourself... there is zero skill required and for my linoleum floors going to hardwoods that would have added about 50% to the cost.
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited December 2006
    I've already done that in two rooms, as well as rented a drum sander. The floors still have quite a bit of a character and still need all edge-sanding and finishing to be done.

Another room has had the carpet, carpet tacks, and all staples already removed, but no form of sanding has been attempted.

Another room still has the carpet down.

All small to medium sized rooms.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • MSALLA
    MSALLA Posts: 1,602
    edited December 2006
    You can rent the edge sander at home depot. Also a palm sander comes in handy for tight spaces the edger won't get to. I would do it yourself. Floor guys get good money for refinish jobs. You can take the wood down pretty far to get most blemishis out, but , I find that if you like rustic or traditional style furniture, a few blemishis actualy look good. Oh ya, use a satin finish after your done. Do NOT use high gloss. High gloss shows every flaw and wave.
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    12.1 SVS driver in 4.53 cuft. tube
    Harmony 880
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited December 2006
    Cool guys... I really appreciate the responses. I was just looking to get a "what-if" estimate... like $2.50 a sq ft and the like.

I'm already knee-deep in a couple of the rooms, but my time is getting kind of precious and there are other projects to be tackled in a short amount of time.

eff Home Depot and Lowes... I support my local hardware store:p :D

That's who hooked me up with my drum sander and just about everything else on a Saturday afternoon:)
  • Midnite Mick
    Midnite Mick Posts: 1,591
    edited December 2006
    Cool guys... eff Home Depot and Lowes... I support my local hardware store:p :D

Kudos to you on that. I hate Home Depot and given the choice I avoid them. Horrible service by people that have no clue what they are talking about. Have steared me wrong many times.

Good luck with the floors,
    Mike
    Modwright SWL 9.0 SE (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Consonance cd120T
    Consonance Cyber 800 tube monoblocks (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC's with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Usher CP 6311

Phillips Pronto TS1000 Universal Remote
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited December 2006
    Thanks Mike..

As soon as we bought the house and moved into the new neighborhood, we sought out the local hardware store. The guys there have been passing down their knowledge for generations -- family owned and operated. I can take anything, any question to 'em and the guys there know exactly what to do or what I need. They'll even lose a little money just to steer me in the right direction.

For example " 'X' costs more, but 'Y' works better -- even though its cheaper"

gotta love that

MSALLA -- excellent advise on the satin finish. Like I mentioned earlier, these hickory floors are over a hundred years old and have tons of character (i.e. blemishes, nicks, etc out the wazoo)