US Headunit in Germany

henee2
henee2 Posts: 42
edited December 2006 in Car Audio & Electronics
If I import a Pioneer headunit from the US to Germany, will the radio work? I heard from somewhere that it wont, since the frequencies are different ?!
Post edited by henee2 on

Comments

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited December 2006
    Frequency bands in Europe are different that what we use in the U.S.. The same goes for Japan. Look around online though, you can usually get a converter that will allow you to use maybe 80% of your FM and AM bands there in Europe.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • henee2
    edited December 2006
    I am really confused now!
    All I can find on the net is converters for Japan... but not for Europe. SO I was wondering if Europe really had different frequency bands.
    Look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FM_broadcasting
    This site mentions, that only Japan has its unique frequency band regarding FM radio.
    Ok, so a regular car radio in Germany will let me tune FM frequencies from approx. 87 to 108. Is it not the same in the US? Are we talking about this frequency range or is there something else to consider?
    What about CDs and so on?
    I just want to make sure, that when I import my Pioneer DEH-P88RS, it will fully work in Germany/Europe.
    Thanks for your help.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited December 2006
    The US's band is slightly different. IIRC, most tuners here will be able to tune past the official U.S. bands which are from about 88.1 to 107.0 so if you don't have any stations you like in the farthest extremties, a U.S. model will work fine. If you want to pick up a wider band, you will need a converter. However, the U.S. gets the **** end of the stick from foreign countries all the time and the best stuff is reserved for domestic markets in Japan and Europe. For instance, Denon car audio is selling like hot cakes overseas but we don't see Denon car audio here at all anymore. Panasonic is relativly low-end here but if you look at the JDM units, they will spank most of the high end stuff on the market here. The only stuff we get of any real value here is Pioneer and Kenwood and they will market a full line up here as well as other markets.

So my question is, why do you want to import something from the U.S. and go through all that cost and hassle when you probably already have something better for less available to you in your own country?
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • henee2
    edited December 2006
    The Pioneer P88RS is by far the best SQ radio available in Germany. Blaupunkt (German company) offers the best German car radio, but still cannot hold up to the P88RS. So in Germany there is quite a boom for the Pioneer top model now. Only problem is price :) In Germany the cheapest price you an find from an online dealer is 470 Euro = 625 USD. In the US you can get one for 309 USD import it to Germany and have it here in Germany for about 330 Euros (after adding shipping and taxes)... thats why I actually think about importing like 20 pieces (price comes down to 285 Euros per piece) and sell them of ebay Germany :)

Thats actually the same with
    Alpine
    Clarion
    Eclipse
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited December 2006
    I would have thought that the Germans would have some very high end HU's available to them......
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin