HELP - Computer DVD burner

shack
shack Posts: 11,154
edited December 2006 in The Clubhouse
I'm getting one of my daughters a DVD Burner for Christmas. She has a Dell Latitude 810 laptop. It currently has a 24X CDRW/DVD ROM drive in the machine. I am considering an external DVD/RW drive vs an internal burner. This should not a problem since she will be using the DVD RW for creating video presentations from time to time and does not need the capablitiy every day. I am looking at a couple from Samsung, Sony, I/O and LG. Does anyone use an external DVD RW? Any suggestions? Thanks.
"Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
Post edited by shack on

Comments

• Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited December 2006
    I've had bad results with Sony drives, good results from Samsung drives, and great results with Pioneer drives.
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited December 2006
    We have a Plextor here at work that is awesome. Lite On makes good ones also. Give them a look.
    No excuses!
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited December 2006
    Strong Bad wrote:
    We have a Plextor here at work that is awesome. Lite On makes good ones also. Give them a look.

Plextor +4. I have 4 different Plextor drives I use.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited December 2006
    External drives are pretty pricey, you may want to consider buying an external drive bay and then buying a DVD Burner separately, or at least keeping that option open.

As for drives, I've had nothing but good luck with Lite-Ons. For the price you can't beat them. I've burned literally hundreds of DVDs with my current drive and have yet to have a bad one.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • ahorvitz
    ahorvitz Posts: 235
    edited December 2006
    +1 for Plextor

I bought a cheapie a couple years ago and it's served me well.
    Main Rig
    Pioneer Elite SC-05, Rotel RMB-1075
    RT800i, CS400i, RT35i, FXi50, Klipsch RSW-12
    Pioneer Elite DV F-07, PS3, Wii
    Monster HTS 3500 MKII
    SC Analog 2, BJC Speaker Wire
    Samsung HL61A650

2nd Rig

Pioneer Elite VSX-56txi, Pioneer Elite DV-47a
    Cambridge Soundworks, MC150 (Center), MC100 x 4, Mirage LF-150

Office

Adcom GTP-400, Adcom GFA-535II, (need a quality CDP), RT55i
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited December 2006
    Keep an eye out at Ben's Bargains since they have deals pretty often on burners. There was a Sony that was on sale at Staples I think a week ago for $100.

I have a Sony that I use on occasion but haven't ever had a problem with it.

EDIT: Found the link on the Sony burner.
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • shack
    edited December 2006
    Thanks for all the help guys. I've narrowed it down to a Lite-On SHM-165P6SX and Plextor PX-750UF. Both have good on line reviews plus your recommendations. I would not have considered either brand without your input. Looks like Lite-On uses Nero and Pextor use Roxio writing software. I've used both for burning CDs and find them both capable. These two aren't speed demons but seem to be solid machines. The Lite-On writes at 8X and the Plextor at 16X. The Lite-On can be had for around $65 and the Plextor for around $120. Here are their product pages.

http://us.liteonit.com/us/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=51&Itemid=85

http://www.plextor.com/english/products/750UF.htm

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • shack
    edited December 2006
    Brett, that was the Sony I was looking at. CompUSA has it for that price as well. I still may consider it.

• ledhed
    ledhed Posts: 1,088
    edited December 2006
    bobman1235 wrote:
    External drives are pretty pricey, you may want to consider buying an external drive bay and then buying a DVD Burner separately, or at least keeping that option open.

This is a great route to allow you to get the interface and drive you want. For faster read/write times, I would recommend getting a drive with firewire if the laptop has it.

Also remember to shop around if you are online, sometimes Newegg can be beat but, us Tennesseeans have to pay taxes :( So that should be factored in.
    God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. - Romans 5:8