A Date to Remember

pmckeealaska
pmckeealaska Posts: 808
edited December 2006 in The Clubhouse
Just a note to say thanks to all who served in WWII and to always remember the significance of this date in American history. Pearl Harbor should never be forgotten.
Music and Movie Rig

Samsung 40" HDTV 1080p
LSi25 Front Speakers
LSiC Center Channel
LSiFX Surrounds
Rotel RB 1080 2-Channel Amp
NAD T763 Reciever
Denon DVD 2900 Universal Player

Audiosource 10 Band Digital Equalizer
Audioquest CV-8 speaker cables
Audioquest Sub-X subwoofer cables
Audioquest King Cobra Interconnects

Monster AVS 2000 Voltage Stabilizer
Playstation 3 120GB Slim
Post edited by pmckeealaska on

Comments

• BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited December 2006
    Thank you! This was the defining moment for my Father's generation. I'll never forget the legacy of sacrifice and courage that generation instilled in me.
  • Skynut
    Skynut Posts: 2,967
    edited December 2006
    God bless America as well as it's past and present service members.
    Skynut
    SOPA® Founder
    The system Almost there
    DVD Onkyo DV-SP802
    Sunfire Theater Grand II
    Sherbourn 7/2100
    Panamax 5510 power conditioner (for electronics)
    2 PSAudio UPC-200 power conditioners (for amps)
    Front L/R RT3000p (Bi-Wired)
    Center CS1000p (Bi-Wired) (under the television)
    Center RT2000p's (Bi-Wired) (on each side of the television)
    Sur FX1000
    SVS ultra plus 2

www.ShadetreesMachineShop.com
    Thanks for looking
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited December 2006
    Amen. We enjoy the life we have today because of their contributions/sacrifices.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited December 2006
    I am amazed at the number of people that have no idea of the significance of December 7th. How quickly some forget and/or don't care. :mad:
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited December 2006
    Well look at it this way Shack. It was 65 yrs ago. Unless you are a baby boomer or older, it is entirely possible that you wouldn't know about it. It just gets a very brief mention in the news on the 7th of Dec.

Who even knows if it is still mentioned in history books these days. And if it is, it is probably as brief as the bits mentioned on the news.

Every year more of these vets are dying, so soon there won't be anyone left alive from that era to talk to the younger generations about it.

As with all things life moves on & things are relegated to the past. with just a brief mention in a history book. You don't hear people talking about the Revolutionary War, the Civil War, or WWI either.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited December 2006
    cfrizz wrote:
    Well look at it this way Shack. It was 65 yrs ago. Unless you are a baby boomer or older, it is entirely possible that you wouldn't know about it. It just gets a very brief mention in the news on the 7th of Dec.

Who even knows if it is still mentioned in history books these days. And if it is, it is probably as brief as the bits mentioned on the news.

Every year more of these vets are dying, so soon there won't be anyone left alive from that era to talk to the younger generations about it.

As with all things life moves on & things are relegated to the past. with just a brief mention in a history book. You don't hear people talking about the Revolutionary War, the Civil War, or WWI either.

What a sad commentary.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • PolkWannabie
    PolkWannabie Posts: 2,763
    edited December 2006
    shack wrote:
    I am amazed at the number of people that have no idea of the significance of December 7th. :mad:
    Really ? ... Lots have forgotten or never got the significance of 9/11.
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited December 2006
    Unless you are a baby boomer or older, it is entirely possible that you wouldn't know about it.
    You may be right and if so then our schools are doing a lousy job. American History is one of the subjects I was always passionate about. It's a damn shame that more people only take an interest in their own country when there's something in it for them. Too bad more people don't take the time to read a little and get a better understanding of the past because it would sure as hell open their eyes to the state of the world today.

God Bless all of the WWII vets and civilians that lost their lives on Dec.7th, 1941. Hats off to all that followed to insure our freedom today.

Do yourselves a HUGE favor Ladies and Gents, pick up a copy of Tom Brokaw's book, "The Greatest Generation." You'll be amazed at what these people did for themselves, their families, and for all of us.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • cfrizz
    edited December 2006
    I agree 100% Frank! History was my favorite subject in school. My dad & my uncles were all proud to serve their country during this time!

You younger Polkies, Sid, speak up! What did you learn about WW 2 when you were in school? Was it mentioned? Was there any studying required on it?
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited December 2006
    Agreed, Dec 7th was a defining moment. It doesn't command the attention that it should as opposed to some of the other things....

That generation was, as has been said, without a doubt our greatest generation. We could stand a few more people like that today.

My granddad, rest his soul, signed up a couple days after 7 Dec with a wife and infant son. He didn't see them for over THREE years. He left in early 42 and didn't come home until late 1945. THAT is sacrifice, my friends. RIP BM2 Camille L. Dion, USN. USS Boxwood AN-8. Fair winds and following seas.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,315
    edited December 2006
    I was listening to the radio today,question was who was the President of the USA at the time of the Pearl Harbor attack...

It took 12 different people calling in before someone finally came up with FDR.

Sad,Sad,Sad
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited December 2006
    I was listening to the radio today,question was who was the President of the USA at the time of the Pearl Harbor attack...

It took 12 different people calling in before someone finally came up with FDR.

Sad,Sad,Sad

Unbelievable!

Our flags in front of our office building were at half mast today. I heard someone in the hallway ask another employee "Why?" , he said "I don't know".

God Bless America, let's never forget!
    Carl

• Polkersince85
    Polkersince85 Posts: 2,883
    edited December 2006
    My father left the farm in Dec. 1941 to join the navy at age 17. Went to Buford, San Diego, Hawaii, then on the USS Cabot (carrier) to the Pacific. He was a gunner trainer on the fighters. Still got the Hawaii dollar bill with all the port calls written around the borders from his carrier group. he went through the thick of it around the Pacific. For many of his generation, that was the first time they had stayed away from home over night. Some came back and some didn't, they were all patriots.
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<
  • tommyboy
    tommyboy Posts: 1,414
    edited December 2006
    cfrizz wrote:

You younger Polkies, Sid, speak up! What did you learn about WW 2 when you were in school? Was it mentioned? Was there any studying required on it?

At first I thought this thread was about a good date last night;)

Cfrizz, luckily my high school history teacher made sure we knew everything. I'm in my third year of college and I still consider him to be my favorite/best teacher. Prolly the only class where I was NEVER tired and fell asleep:) . anyways, when we started WWII, he went into great detail about pearl Harbor, the attack from Africa to Italy, D-day, Iwo Jima, Hiroshima(we watched actual footage taped by **** after the attack... very disturbing:eek: ) etc. etc. The only problem was that we spent soo much time on WWII, we had little time left for korea and vietnam:p ...

So, at least there are some teachers that make sure their students know their history, I'm glad mine did...

tommyboy
    AVR: H/K AVR240
    Fronts: Monitor 50s
    Center: CSI3
    surrounds: R15s
    Sub:Velodyne DPS10
    Dvd/Cd: Samsung HD upconverter (for now)
    TV: 50" Sammy Plasma
    game hardware: 360 and gcn.
    Gamertag: kovster27
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,428
    edited December 2006
    My sincere thanks to all those brave men and women who served then and to all that serve today.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,565
    edited December 2006
    While I learned alot in US History class...

Everything was equally done - there was no particular extention of a particular time... so while I know about the time period - we didnt go into deep details...
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • cambir
    cambir Posts: 1,045
    edited December 2006
    As a former teacher (not History), I thought I would join in and thank all for their postings regarding history and vets. It's good to see that some still remember and try to educate others.

Pearl Harbor is a very significant event in History and is covered in schools. However, as with most grand-scale events in History, the full significance may not be realized by those who don't experience it first-hand.

I, at 30, cannot fully comprehend the sacrifice that was endured during this time, but I respect it and am thoroughly grateful.

Both grandfathers - WW11 vets who have since passed on - Thanks to our vets!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,428
    edited December 2006
    Welcome to the forum, Cambir.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• cfrizz
    edited December 2006
    It's nice to know that there are some thorough teachers out there that manange to engage their students Tommy!

And while I'm not a teacher, I would like to correct your spelling of the word
    PROBABLY:)

tommyboy wrote:
    At first I thought this thread was about a good date last night;)

Cfrizz, luckily my high school history teacher made sure we knew everything. I'm in my third year of college and I still consider him to be my favorite/best teacher. Prolly the only class where I was NEVER tired and fell asleep:) . anyways, when we started WWII, he went into great detail about pearl Harbor, the attack from Africa to Italy, D-day, Iwo Jima, Hiroshima(we watched actual footage taped by **** after the attack... very disturbing:eek: ) etc. etc. The only problem was that we spent soo much time on WWII, we had little time left for korea and vietnam:p ...

So, at least there are some teachers that make sure their students know their history, I'm glad mine did...

tommyboy
  • Skynut
    Skynut Posts: 2,967
    edited December 2006
    TroyD wrote:
    Agreed, Dec 7th was a defining moment. It doesn't command the attention that it should as opposed to some of the other things....

That generation was, as has been said, without a doubt our greatest generation. We could stand a few more people like that today.

My granddad, rest his soul, signed up a couple days after 7 Dec with a wife and infant son. He didn't see them for over THREE years. He left in early 42 and didn't come home until late 1945. THAT is sacrifice, my friends. RIP BM2 Camille L. Dion, USN. USS Boxwood AN-8. Fair winds and following seas.

BDT

I agree RIP BM2 Camille L. Dion, USN. USS Boxwood AN-8.
    your grandfather is an honorable man.
    This is what patriotism is all about, selflessness. A self obgligation to serve in the time of need no matter the consequences.

Most men in my family (uncles and grandparents) volounteered for armed services just because they felt it was the right thing to do.

Once you have served, no one can take that away from you.
    Skynut
    SOPA® Founder
    The system Almost there
    DVD Onkyo DV-SP802
    Sunfire Theater Grand II
    Sherbourn 7/2100
    Panamax 5510 power conditioner (for electronics)
    2 PSAudio UPC-200 power conditioners (for amps)
    Front L/R RT3000p (Bi-Wired)
    Center CS1000p (Bi-Wired) (under the television)
    Center RT2000p's (Bi-Wired) (on each side of the television)
    Sur FX1000
    SVS ultra plus 2

www.ShadetreesMachineShop.com
    Thanks for looking