Verizon Wireless G'zOne Type-V

Demiurge
Demiurge Posts: 10,874
edited December 2006 in The Clubhouse
Don't turn me in for spam here, this is for real. ;)

Does anyone here have this? It's this or a RAZRV3m next week when I upgrade, which was what I was looking at a couple months ago when I inquired about this.

I did the look on these phones, and they're a lot more rugged, which I like since I am out in the elements a lot.

verizongzone.jpg
Post edited by Demiurge on

Comments

• PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited December 2006
    what's the plastic looking thing on the bottom for?

to hook onto?
  • Demiurge
    edited December 2006
    PhantomOG wrote:

to hook onto?

I don't know, but that's my assumption as well.
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited December 2006
    I wonder who makes it.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,160
    edited December 2006
    PhantomOG wrote:

to hook onto?

I think it also doubles as a shock absorbing device when/if you drop the phone. I just go the Raz'r and it's a nice solid phone. The batt cover is very thin aluminium and I don't think it would hold up to repreated abuse due to a rugged work environment. I like everyhting else about the Raz'r it just doesn't seem as rugged.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • szhleppy
    szhleppy Posts: 320
    edited December 2006
    PhantomOG wrote:

to hook onto?

Supposed to make it look like a football helmet. It's a football themed phone.

http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=914

Pretty good reviews at Phonescoop.
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited December 2006
    It looks retarded.
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited December 2006
    DO NOT get the razr v3m....it's cheap and plasticy. My Razr is aluminum but verizon likes their razrs to be plastic.

Also, with verizon razrs you can't transfer files from your computer to your phone or from ur phone to your computer. Whats the purpose of having a media phone if you can't even transfer files with it? Verizon wants you to pay for their ringtones, pay to send your pictures and pay to download music. A verizon razr is a waste of money and the razrs abilities IMO.
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited December 2006
    razr's are NOT rugged..........they're thin and flimsy.

I'd HIGHLY recommend the LG 8300, which are buy one get one free for $49. That's a bargain, and the phone is very sturdy.
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited December 2006
    The RAZRs have gotten nothing but bad reviews as far as ruggedness is concerned. If you want a phone that will last you more than three months, get anything but a RAZR.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited December 2006
    From playing with the RAZORs in the store, I decided they felt way too cheap and flimsy to me, too. But what about the knew KRZR, or whatever it is? A friend just got one, I played with it a while, and it feels like it'd be a lot more sturdy than the RAZR. Also, does Alltell's RAZOR/KRZR have those abilities Verizon's blocks? 'Cause my service is with Alltell.

I'm using a V262 (my third one), and am thinking about putting the KRZR on my xmas list. I'm tired of putting up with this phone's minor annoyances.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,428
    edited December 2006
    I just got a RAZR V3m, love it. Lightweight, compact and calls are as clear as a bell. If you treat your stuff like a monkey then yeah, it may not be the phone for you. If you're an adult, you shouldn't have any issues.
    My Razr is aluminum but verizon likes their razrs to be plastic.

Verizon here.....metal case, plastic battery cover.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,160
    edited December 2006
    F1nut wrote:
    I just got a RAZR V3m, love it. Lightweight, compact and calls are as clear as a bell. If you treat your stuff like a monkey then yeah, it may not be the phone for you. If you're an adult, you shouldn't have any issues.

Verizon here.....metal case, plastic battery cover.

Same phone (just got it as well)..........my sentiments exactly. My last phone is 2 years old and still looks like it just came out of the box.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited December 2006
    I just got an LG enV tonight and I'm trying to figure it out. Anybody want a used Samsung 670 with Burger Time on it?
  • szhleppy
    szhleppy Posts: 320
    edited December 2006
    I've had the KRZR (Verizon) since it came out a couple months ago, and I've been very happy with it. It seems a little more durable than the RAZR, if only because it is slightly more narrow which means less leverage to snap it in half lengthwise...especially if you have the habit of slipping the phone in your back pocket.

I use the phone pretty hard. I'm on the 4000 min/month and use a large portion of those, and the phone gets tossed around quite a bit between traveling and drive time (along with the occasional drop), and it still looks like new. Although it sounds like your work would expose the phone to the elements outdoors, so the one you picked might be the best choice.
  • brettw22
    edited December 2006
    i think the krzr is a metal body, but slimmer version of the razr.........it's also a copy/knockoff of the LG8600 (Clam Chocolate)........

Either of them though seem too fragile in terms of the touch sensitive/high gloss body's they have personally.
  • Demiurge
    edited December 2006
    Oy, thanks, guys. Your experiences are all over the map. I do like this phone I posted, but it'll cost me like $300 even with discounts. I know the LG model Brett posted about is good, but it doesn't have the aesthetics I am looking for. I know "What??!" I'm going to be stuck with it for 2 years, might as well get something I like as well. :)
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited December 2006
    I just read about the KRZR on phonescoop, and have *almost* decided that's what I'm going with.

But, I've read in several places that Verizon cripples some of the functions of their phones; does Alltel do that, as well? What kind of functions are we talking about? I read you can connect the KRZR directly to your computer...that's awesome!
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • bobman1235
    edited December 2006
    MOST new phones have a lot of features that most people never realize because they're crippled or hidden by their service provider. My last two Nokias have been able to connect to my computer for backup, installing programs, writing text messages, even using the phone as a modem. My current one plays MP3s. All of this was crippled or hidden when I bought the phone. But I found a company (iUnlock) that you mail your phone to, they unlock it for you and remove any of that crippling, and then return it to you. Luckily the company actually has a B&M location near me, so I just had to walk there rather than mail my phone, but they're a standup business and I would recommend them to anyone who has a phone that has any cool features.
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited December 2006
    Does your Nokia have MPEG4 support? You can convert your DVD's to little files and watch them on your phone.
  • bobman1235
    edited December 2006
    Well I wouldn't want to do THAT.

I really only use the MP3 support for ringtones. Sure beats PAYING for them (which is the reason most service providers cripple MP3 support - to make you pay for their ringtones).

Nothing makes me happier than the Benny Hill theme playing every time my phone rings.
  • Demiurge
    edited December 2006
    I went with the LG VX8600.

20061122_lge2.jpg
  • brettw22
    edited December 2006
    nice feeling phone, but the fingerprint prone finish would drive me nuts.......