Replacing a Bose System (ugh)

dgt2n
dgt2n Posts: 31
edited December 2006 in Car Audio & Electronics
My 2002 Pathfinder came with a facorty installed Bose system. The CD player now completely refuses to play, and I'm finally done dealing with it. Crutchfield has really nice adapter kits, so I'm leaning towards buying from them.

I'm looking to spend ~300 on the head unit, and upgrading speakers somewhere down the line. I've read a few reviews, and right now am leaning towards the Alpine 9856 or 9857, but really have little/no experience upgrading car audio equipment. Does anyone have any strong feelings for or against?

Thanks
Post edited by dgt2n on

Comments

• audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited December 2006
    Alpine makes good HU and great amps, so you wouldn't be disappointed with that choice, I'm sure. However, I'd personally look at Pioneer's Premier HU's, Kenwood's eXcelon offerings, and Eclipse's HU's, as well. Probably the best thing to do is to sit down and decide exactly what it is you want out of your system, and then figure out what features you need/want in an HU to acheive that. Then figure out via the web which HU's meet those needs/wants, and then you can make the final decision in store, playing with the various HU's.

I'm not 100% positive, but when you're dealing with an aftermarket system such as the Bose system, I'm pretty sure once you replace the speakers or the HU, you have to go ahead and replace the other. Meaning, I don't think an aftermarket HU is going to be compatible with the Bose system.

I would probably rip out ALL the Bose stuff and get an aftermarket HU and some cheap speakers up front to run off just the HU until you're ready to move on, or do some more research and go all out the first time with the HU, front speakers (components?), and an amp.

You looking to do components up front? You want rear speakers? You looking to get a sub in there sometime, too?

Wow, Honda's are coming with Bose systems? That's a shocker...never would've guessed...
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • DollarDave
    DollarDave Posts: 2,575
    edited December 2006
    FWIW - I had a Nissan Maxima with a Bose and was able to use a kit to keep the speakers with an upgraded HU.
  • audiobliss
    edited December 2006
    Well, there you go...you can just replace the HU. I don't imagine the adapter kit would cost too much, so that might be a good first step.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • dgt2n
    edited December 2006
    It's a Nissan, not a Honda, and it was a factory installed Bose system, not aftermarket (I know enough to not go out of my way for Bose).

I'm fairly certain I can just replace the HU, and I can get an adapter harness from Crutchfield. I'm pretty pleased with the stock speakers (for now).

My main want is a nice ipod hookup/interface. Along with sound, obiously.

Thanks for the suggestions.
  • DollarDave
    DollarDave Posts: 2,575
    edited December 2006
    Who thought it was a Honda? I once owned a Pathfinder. Thirty some cars in the last 30 years, but never a Honda. Decent enough cars, but I have always selected something else, but typically a "foreign" car.
  • dgt2n
    edited December 2006
    audiobliss wrote:
    Wow, Honda's are coming with Bose systems? That's a shocker...never would've guessed...

I was replying to this...

thanks again for the help guys.
  • audiobliss
    edited December 2006
    My bad...of course the Pathfinder is a Nissan.

And I didn't mean to say the Bose system was aftermarket, by any means.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • dgt2n
    edited December 2006
    After a little more research, i decided to go with the Pioneer 6800. Hopefully this installation goes smoothly. I'm pretty experienced with home audio, but cars and I don't get along very well...

h130DEHP680-f_CD.jpeg
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited December 2006
    My good friend has that same HU, he really likes it.

As far the the Bose system, at low levels it sounds ok, anything more and the system is easily overwhelmed. At least this was the case in my 2002 Maxima. Mine came with a subwoofer too. Upgrading speakers down the road as you have mentioned will make a nice difference.
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin