Polk 5.1 system for $700

I-SIG
I-SIG Posts: 2,238
edited December 2006 in The Clubhouse
I hadn't really planned doing anything home audio-wise except upgrade the tweets on my SRS's, but a local deal on Craig's List came up.

A pair of rt1000i's, cs400, pair of bookshelves, 100W sub, Onkyo receiver, Sony DVD player, 36" Panny SDTV

all for $700.

Whadayathink?

Wes
Link: http://polkarmy.com/forums

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d
Post edited by I-SIG on

Comments

• PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited December 2006
    I would assume the sub, pair of bookshelves and dvd player are crap. Depending on the the Onkyo model, it could be a good deal.
  • BIZILL
    BIZILL Posts: 5,432
    edited December 2006
    seeing as how your two channel setup sounds outstanding, unless you go balls-deep into dropping cash on a theater setup, you'll be left feeling unsatisfied.

POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php
    bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited December 2006
    Dedicated just for your TV? You wouldn't be getting rid of your 2-channel right?
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • I-SIG
    edited December 2006
    The bookshelves and sub seem to be advertised as Polk.

I wondered if a) I could part it out and both make a little $$$ and provide some decent deals to fellow Polkies or b) try to make a dedicated 2-channel room in my office or something.

Wes

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d
  • BIZILL
    edited December 2006
    option c) i thought you were diggin' movies by way of only your sda's? i say if you are to do ht and 2ch, then be like htrookie and have both in the same room.

ONKYO TX-SR805

XBOX 360

bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • I-SIG
    edited December 2006
    Damn! It's still available!

Wes

• audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited December 2006
    Jump on it, man. Then decide what you wanna do. Try it out as a HT, and see if you can stand it or maybe even like it. If you don't, see if you can make another 2 channel system out of it for your office.

If you don't like that, either, sell it...I can't imagine you'd end up losing money on it...
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited December 2006
    I'd jump on it and part it out if you don't like it.
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited December 2006
    there is also a 2000i set up for 2k...5.1
    You would probably be happier with that ...if you have the $

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrmoni&1170104240

no affilliation...
    just thought I`d pass on what I ran across..
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited December 2006
    buy it.. part it out.. that's what i would do..
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • szhleppy
    szhleppy Posts: 320
    edited December 2006
    I'd leave it Wes. I have a bad habit of spontaneously buying ****, then taking a loss just to get it out of the house when I realize it's not exactly what I want.

If it's quality, it's no problem to get your money back. If it's not...well, then your probably stuck with it for a while or you'll ultimately take a loss.

Right now I've got 3 turntables, 2 cd players, 2 televisions, 1 pair of outdoor speakers, and 1 unused in-wall speaker just taking up space.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited December 2006
    szhleppy wrote:
    I'd leave it Wes. I have a bad habit of spontaneously buying ****, then taking a loss just to get it out of the house when I realize it's not exactly what I want.

If it's quality, it's no problem to get your money back. If it's not...well, then your probably stuck with it for a while or you'll ultimately take a loss.

Right now I've got 3 turntables, 2 cd players, 2 televisions, 1 pair of outdoor speakers, and 1 unused in-wall speaker just taking up space.

Turntables huh? Whatcha got? Looking to sell any of them? ;)
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • audiobliss
    edited December 2006
    danger boy wrote:
    ditto
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • I-SIG
    edited December 2006
    szhleppy wrote:

Thanks. I'm glad (I think) that I'm not the only sane one. I think I'm gonna pass and spend the $$$ on tweeters or a gun. :) Of course Russ (hoosier) said to do it to it....

Wes

• BIZILL
    edited December 2006
    good call on the pass. i think you've got better taste anyway.

ONKYO TX-SR805

XBOX 360

bobman1235 wrote:
  • szhleppy
    szhleppy Posts: 320
    edited December 2006
    danger boy wrote:

Ha! I wasn't really looking to turn this into a FM thread, but sure!

Right now I have a Thorens TD160, B&O Begram RX (MM3), and Denon DP1200. I'm not sure which are going to go yet, or all 3 may just be headed out the door in the near future. Surprisingly enough, the B&O blows the other 2 away right now, so I know that the Thorens and Denon just aren't set up correctly. I'm going to spend a little time with them over the next few weeks and decide.

The problem with selling them is that I have never shipped a TT before. There's some good info out there on it though, and I'm pretty uptight about packing everything well just like most everybody else on this forum.

I'll keep you guys on the first right of refusal list when I decide (I saw your comment also, AB...I just couldn't figure out how to include 2 quotes!).
  • I-SIG
    edited December 2006
    szhleppy wrote:
    Ha! I wasn't really looking to turn this into a FM thread, but sure!

The problem with selling them is that I have never shipped a TT before. There's some good info out there on it though, and I'm pretty uptight about packing everything well just like most everybody else on this forum.

No problem, Courtney! I have had some thoughts of trying to dabble with a turntable so you are welcome anytime to help save on shipping, or I could come to your place.

Wes

• audiobliss
    edited December 2006
    szhleppy wrote:
    (I saw your comment also, AB...I just couldn't figure out how to include 2 quotes!).
    Hahaha, no problem. Lemme know whenever it is you're going to unload 'em.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]