Almost four years ago...

VR3
VR3 Posts: 28,565
edited December 2006 in The Clubhouse
I stripped down the basketball wallpaper I once had, painted my walls a flat, ugly grey - painted my ceiling, new furniture...

Exactly four years later, Im doing what I did before, just a step further...

Things to come in the next 3 weeks...

1) New paint, this time - using Behr Satin, but a good coat of primer to hide the imperfections and even the paint out for a good quality job...

2) Wood Floors

Im funding the paint, my Mom is funding the floor - but Im installing the floor... it was the same price as carpet and we are recarpeting the house, so... I cant wait...

Dun dun dun
- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
Post edited by VR3 on

Comments

• beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited December 2006
    might make the tunes alittle hard to control...ya think ?
    alot brighter sounding, but then you can play with room treatments...or get a good throw rug..

congrats on the room upgrade anyway
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited December 2006
    Sounds like a plan, little man. Good luck with painting and flooring.

I've heard from several sources the flooring can be a pain.

Can't wait to see the finished photos!
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • VR3
    edited December 2006
    Yeah, itll definitely be brighter...

But it definitely will be ALOT better than DEAD, BORING that my room once was, it absorbed everything...

So once I get my curtains back in here, big ol futon and a rug or two - I think itll be ight...

But I have particle board floors, that took me for a spin...

This wood flooring is easy, if you do it the amish way - it can be very hard... the snap together panels I have... the hardest part will be doorways... and... thats it...really
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited December 2006
    yep !
    Pic`s are in order
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited December 2006
    If your doing a laminate floor they actually go down quite easy. I've installed 3 so far. Look foward to seeing pics.
  • VR3
    edited December 2006
    Any tips?
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited December 2006
    Syd's Stabbin' Cabin.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,428
    edited December 2006
    Demiurge wrote:
    Syd's Stabbin' Cabin.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited December 2006
    Trey, one tip that i have is when you start the first row make sure it is straight. If a wall is bowed out a little like my friends was you have to make cuts to get the first row straight. After that it's easy. Make sure you stagger the seams and leave a 1/4 inch gap all the way around for expansion. Also make sure you get the padding that goes beneath. Ok thats 3 tips. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
  • ledhed
    ledhed Posts: 1,088
    edited December 2006
    Fireman32 wrote:
    Trey, one tip that i have is when you start the first row make sure it is straight. If a wall is bowed out a little like my friends was you have to make cuts to get the first row straight. After that it's easy. Make sure you stagger the seams and leave a 1/4 inch gap all the way around for expansion. Also make sure you get the padding that goes beneath. Ok thats 3 tips. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

All excellent tips. If you don't allow for expansion, your floor will look like the ocean... :eek:
    God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. - Romans 5:8
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited December 2006
    Awesome Sid. Can't wait to see the pics.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited December 2006
    Have at it and best o' luck to ya Sid!
    I'm in the process of restoring the wood floors in our new house after pulling up all the carpet the first day we moved in. Hickory is a beeyatch, esp for a hardwood floor, home improvement newb such as myself.

All except for the audio room. I left the carpet well enough alone in there.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited December 2006
    If you'r using laminate, and you damage (even slightly) the tongue/groove on any of them, throw it away and place a good one....if you don't, that's where you'll start seeing gaps when weather changes. I learned the hard way.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited December 2006
    Can anyone hazard a guess how much you'd have to pay a professional to finish the floor of a small-to-medium sized room? From pulling carpet and staples, to sanding the wood and applying a finish. Just curious.

I'm about to start on yet another room, and I want to see if it's worth it.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited December 2006
    Can anyone hazard a guess how much you'd have to pay a professional to finish the floor of a small-to-medium sized room? From pulling carpet and staples, to sanding the wood and applying a finish. Just curious.

I'm about to start on yet another room, and I want to see if it's worth it.

IF you know what you're doing it makes way more sense to do it yourself. My 24 year old cousin is a shop teacher here, and he completely refloored 4 large rooms in my aunts house by himself. She's well enough off that she just could have paid someone so I would have to say it's worth it to do it on your own if you have the know how.
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited December 2006
    Thanks Demi... I've already done two and half rooms with the exception of applying a finish and edge sanding the sides and corners. As it was my first time, it was ever the beeyatch and I'm not entirely sure I did the best job...
    granted it's hickory in a 100 year old home, so it was bound to have some character.

I'm just curious as to how much this would normally cost. I have someone offering $400 per room. Carpet pulled, floor sanded, imperfections removed, finish applied. Sound reasonable? It did to me, but I've never received an estimate.
  • VR3
    edited December 2006
    laminate floors - installed is 5.50 sq ft - bout 800 or so to do a 11x11 room
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited December 2006
    Thanks Sid... sorry again for the derail. Still juggling installing laminate or just sanding down what I've got. Since I've already done the latter in the first three rooms, I'm probably leaning toward the same in the other -- even though it is quite removed from the others.
  • VR3
    edited December 2006
    Few things for you to consider...

If you sand your floor, you will work yourself to death...

And you will be getting rid of that dust for the next YEAR..if not longer...

Then the smell of finishes, which last about 3 weeks....
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited December 2006
    Oh, I'm all too familiar with the creeping death/dust from the first two rooms I've sanded down -- hickory too, so it's like Georgia red clay everywhere. And I have worked myself to death....

For this reason alone, I'm considering letting someone else finish the job... One small room for $400. Just wondered if this was in the ballpark. Carpet has to be pulled as well. It's not an issue of wanting to work. For familial reasons, my time is spread very, very thin. So really, any off-time I have is spent in guerilla warfare with my new (old) home... There are substantially more things that need to be done. The floors are just a drop in the bucket. If I can hand over the reins on some things, it allows me time to accomplish others.

btw Thanks Sid. I should really start another thread. Let's just think of this as a "bump" for yours:)
  • VR3
    edited December 2006
    400 sounds good to me... thats alot of work..