Newbie with a question about crossovers

Wolfhound
Wolfhound Posts: 2
edited December 2006 in Car Audio & Electronics
Well first off I am a newbie when it comes to audio equipment. I also searched for an answer but didn't find it. I have a set of Polk Audio MOMO MMC525 speakers I am putting in my Cobra. I hooked up the crossover like the sticker on the crossover said. I have the tweeter and the woofer going to the out connections and just the tweeter in going to my radio. I am only barely able to hear a slight tinny music sound from the tweeter. Am I hooking this up wrong. Thanks in advane.
Post edited by Wolfhound on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited December 2006
    Welcome to the Club!

The frequncies coming from the tweeter arent going to sound like much and will sound like tinny thin music. You should still be able to make out some imaging cues like voices, snare drums and the like.

If you have the crossover hooked up according to the instruction manual and the tweet sounds good when played with the mid then Id say youve got it.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited December 2006
    "and just the tweeter in going to my radio"

I don't quite get what it is you're saying. Maybe Mac does since he's actually seen a Polk crossover.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • MacLeod
    edited December 2006
    audiobliss wrote:
    "and just the tweeter in going to my radio"

I don't quite get what it is you're saying. Maybe Mac does since he's actually seen a Polk crossover.

Umm. I missed that one.

Yeah, I dont have a clue what youre talking about here. Could ya expand a little on that?
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • audiobliss
    edited December 2006
    Mac, why don't you get on AIM anymore? I've been waiting for you to get on AIM to talk to you about something for a week now, but I haven't seen you get on.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • audiobliss
    edited December 2006
    Oh wow, great catch. I hadn't even noticed he's running them off his HU.

Yeah, components pretty much mean amp. If you're running components, you really oughtta be running an amp with them. The *only* way you can even think about running components off an HU is if you biamp them, and then your HU has to have a fairly extensive crossover.

You just need to get you an external amplifer, and you'd have a perfect setup.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • Greg Peters
    Greg Peters Posts: 605
    edited December 2006
    audiobliss wrote:
    The *only* way you can even think about running components off an HU is if you biamp them, and then your HU has to have a fairly extensive crossover.

You just need to get you an external amplifer, and you'd have a perfect setup.

I wouldn't be really eager to biamp a component set with just HU power (though it'd be twice as good as powering the set with 2 HU channels, but still not "good").

Realistically, a 50 watts x 4 HU will only put out 12 watts or so per channel, and that's not really enough to amplify the Momo set with. The specs call for 100 watts RMS as optimum, so the head unit doesn't really put out enough to even get those woofers moving. The tweeters may do OK off just the HU, but they'll probably sound a little shrill when the HU's signal is driven into clipping.

For best results, get an amplifier that puts out 75-100 watts to each component set and that will make a huge difference.
  • MacLeod
    edited December 2006
    Im with Greg.

Yeah, biamping off a head unit would be double the power but, really, you have 2 piles of crap and take away one, youre still left with a pile of crap.

HU's are horrible power sources for anything other than just wanting some tunes to listen to while you drive to work.

If youre wanting great sound, which I assume you do by your purchace of the MMC's, then youre really missing out by not having an amp! You dont have to have a high dollar one either. A good sturdy Profile pushing 75 or so per channel could easily be had for under $100 and it would sound 10 times better.

• Wolfhound
    Wolfhound Posts: 2
    edited December 2006
    Thanks for the help guys. I went ahead and purchased a RF P250.2 which I hooked up the 5 1/4 to. They sound awesome. The problem I have now is the front 5X7 MMC570 are so hard to hear now as they are connected to the deck. Is the Fosgate amp able to run these also or will I be overheating it?

I really don't have much room in the trunk for any more amps as I have a vert. and also have a bottle in the trunk so room is hard to find.

Thanks
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited December 2006
    You actually should have more power going to your front speakers than the rear ones. Having more power going to the rear speakers just destroys your front stage.

I sometimes use my system with the rear speakers on, usually when I have passengers. When I do this though, they are attenuated by a few db's.
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin