favorite beer food?

dylan
dylan Posts: 453
edited December 2006 in The Clubhouse
Or 'bring something different to a Holiday party' food...

Here's mine: Scotch Eggs. They sound weird, but better beer food is hard to find.

Un-case your favorite uncooked bratwurst, like Johnsonville, or better yet, support your local butcher. A small slit down the length works.

Wrap one hard-boiled egg with one brat, making sure there aren't seams or openings (otherwise it may split during cooking). Roll each orb of goodness in bread crumbs, and place on rack above cookie tray (this lets the grease drip down).

Bake at 365 for 45 minutes. Done, let rest for 5 minutes or so. Really good with different mustards, especially that Beaver sweet-hot mustard.

I swear no matter how many of these I make, they all get eaten. And the gas bratwurst + hard-boiled eggs make is epic! Enjoy.
Post edited by dylan on

Comments

• zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited December 2006
    If beer is a food,
    then I'd have to say more beer.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • aaharvel
    aaharvel Posts: 4,489
    edited December 2006
    buffalo wings. HOT buffalo wings. Anything less than HOT is for pansies.
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited December 2006
    Tortilla chips!
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • petrym
    petrym Posts: 1,912
    edited December 2006
    aaharvel wrote:
    buffalo wings. HOT buffalo wings. Anything less than HOT is for pansies.
    Yeah BABEEEEE! I usually get 24 and wash 'em down with Boulevard Unfiltered Wheat with a slab of lemon. Yeah, the Midwest is cool like that. :cool:
    dylan wrote:
    And the gas bratwurst + hard-boiled eggs make is epic! Enjoy.
    When I was a young GI in England (Upper Heyford 79-81), I ate a few pickled eggs and washed them down with Bitter. Man, a squeaker would peel paint! :D I'm going to have to try those Scotch Eggs, sounds good (heh heh, he said "sounds" - pun intended).
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited December 2006
    A big burger, smothered with sharp cheddar cheese, apple wood smoked bacon, sliced avocado, red sweet onions, and some lettuce sitting right next to a pile of steak fires and a big bowl of ranch dressing (for the fries).
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited December 2006
    A nice venison steak.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited December 2006
    the Scotch eggs sound pretty good as beer food.

One bar close to my house sells Gorganzola cheese fries.. Mmmmm good!
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited December 2006
    Ron-P wrote:
    A big burger, smothered with sharp cheddar cheese, apple wood smoked bacon, sliced avocado, red sweet onions, and some lettuce sitting right next to a pile of steak fires and a big bowl of ranch dressing (for the fries).

I think you nailed it...
    maybe substitute some horseradish sauce for the ranch.

btw to the wing lovers, I'm with ya. I've never understood the concept of "mild" wings:confused:
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • MSALLA
    MSALLA Posts: 1,602
    edited December 2006
    Bouden blank garlic and veal sausage. If your ever in Philadelphia go to Monks tavern. The owner has a patent on transporting beer from over seas and has a selection that you will not see any place in the US. And food to match the beer.
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    12.1 SVS driver in 4.53 cuft. tube
    Harmony 880
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited December 2006
    Ron-P wrote:

That's it right there, all of it! :D
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,160
    edited December 2006
    I gotta go with HOT Wings smoothered in hot sauce and homemade ranch dressing in a rustic dark bar with nice, good looking waitresses. Not Hooters, although..........nevermind

Close 2nd would be a (5) star burger in the same kind of joint. We have a place across the border in Wisconsin called Hanson's Tavern. It's a hole in the wall place, rustic if you get my drift and they have the best hamburgers within a 50-75 mile radius perhaps farther. Very non-descript no sign out front but ask anyone in the area about Hanson's; they've probably heard of it. :cool:

Irish fries are great with your favorite suds too.

Damn I'm getting hungry.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited December 2006
    Wings are up near the top of the list along with good pizza. However, there is also a local bar that sells popcorn chicken. That's good beer food! They also have Shawn's Fries which are fries covered with Ranch dressing and then provolone and bacon. They throw it in the over until the cheese melts!

However, for wings, I can see mild. There is this bar up in Cinnaminson, NJ called The Jughandle Inn and they are, hands down, the BEST wings I have ever had. They make a plate of garlic wings that are out of this world! Of course you can order them mild, medium, hot and bald eagle. The mediums will make ya sweat, the hot have a good, strong burn. The mild will still kick a bit but the best part is the garlic! The wings are swimmin' in it! They also make honey wings along with the usual wing fare. The wings they use are full size too so when you pay 7 bucks for a plate of wings, you get 7 bucks worth.

Yeah, my favorite beer food is a plate of 10 hot, garlic wings and 10 hot, honey wings with an order of Old Bay fries and a pitcher full of Yuengling fresh from the tap! That's good eatin'!
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited December 2006
    ^^^^^

I'm going RIGHT NOW!!!

I'm definitely feeling the hunger pangs now.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited December 2006
    heiney9 wrote:
    Irish fries are great with your favorite suds too.

Speaking of Irish Fries, have you ever had Poutine?

Poutine (pronounced, roughly, poo-teen, or poo-tin; exact Qu
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited December 2006
    Bangers n' Mash at a local Irish pub here called Molly Malones.
    It almost melts in your mouth and is infused with enough thyme to choke a horse.

I prefer to wash it down with a BBC Dark Star Porter (locally brewed and hard to beat).
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited December 2006
    Wings, pizza, or a good bar burger w/salty freedom fries go great with an ice cold brewski.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • dylan
    dylan Posts: 453
    edited December 2006
    Jstas wrote:
    ... is a dish consisting of french fries topped with fresh cheese curds and covered with hot gravy (usually brown gravy) and sometimes other additional ingredients.

Wow! That sounds awesome, cheese curds are so good. Hard to find unless you're near a cheese factory, they really have to be fresh.
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited December 2006
    dylan wrote:
    Wow! That sounds awesome, cheese curds are so good. Hard to find unless you're near a cheese factory, they really have to be fresh.

poutine.jpg

Edited because that pic was huge.

Poutine is the ****. Its good in Canada as they have it readily available.

Plus, everytime we go up north from here, or down to Chicago we'll stop at the cheese factories and get the fresh squeaky cheese curds. :D
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited December 2006
    I was going to say. if fries have brown gravy on em.. that must be from Canada. i don't know about the pic above.. but i won't knock it till i try it. ha ha ha
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • MSALLA
    MSALLA Posts: 1,602
    edited December 2006
    You guys are killing me. It's almost lunch time and I'm dying for a good beer right about now. I don't think it would be taken to well if I come back to work "feeling good"
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    12.1 SVS driver in 4.53 cuft. tube
    Harmony 880
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited December 2006
    Waffle House....

oh wait, that's after a night of sloshin':o
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited December 2006
    BBQ Nachos w/ pulled pork from Slugger Field....
    What you don't eat of the massive portion, you can throw at the opposing team's leftfielder.
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited December 2006
    beer weenies!!!
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited December 2006
    Irish Burgers:

Toasted English muffin, beef patty, lettuce, tomato, white cheddar.

Peanuts are big player also. Simple, tasty.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited December 2006
    ND13 wrote:
    beer weenies!!!

Usually that comes from drinking too much:D
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited December 2006
    Yeah, I hate it when I have to 'shimmy' it in.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited December 2006
    I just give up after about 10 minutes and tell her if she knows what's best for her, she'll get in the kitchen and make me some more Scotch eggs.
  • steveinaz
    edited December 2006
    BBQ Nachos w/ pulled pork from Slugger Field....
    What you don't eat of the massive portion, you can throw at the opposing team's leftfielder.

Pulled-pork...good call! I forgot that one.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • steveinaz
    edited December 2006
    RuSsMaN wrote:
    Irish Burgers:

Toasted English muffin, beef patty, lettuce, tomato, white cheddar.

Cool recipe!
  • BIZILL
    BIZILL Posts: 5,432
    edited December 2006
    i'm all salivatin' and what not...

POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php
    bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.