question about dynamat

black magic
black magic Posts: 669
edited June 2007 in Custom Fabrication
would there be any benefit of putting it in and/or around a sealed enclosure for a 12" sub.
Post edited by black magic on

Comments

• ch00dlz
    ch00dlz Posts: 15
    edited December 2006
    No. That would be awaste of Dynamat. For enclosures I would recommend Fiberglassing.

Dynamat is meant for your vehicle chassis. I'm sure you know this but when your bass hits and bounces off the vehicle walls Dynamat absorbs the rattle.
    When bass beats the initial impact is stronger (depending on how many watts you're pumping) which can cause your enclosure to break or crack. Wood glue and screws won't help your enclosure if you're pumping a lot of wattage to your woofer(s), beside that fact, it just doesn't sound good. Fiberglass reinforces the enclosure by sealling all around making the bass hit more solid/cleaner.
    1997 Toyota Supra TT
    1993 Honda Civic K20 swap
    2004 Honda Pilot EX

I WANT TO BUY:
      Polk's C400.4 amplifier (as of 12/31/06)
      • black magic
        edited December 2006
        Thanks! Just curious. I already built my box and mounted the MM2124 in it. looks great imo. :D

IMGP2097.JPG
      • Deadof_knight
        Deadof_knight Posts: 980
        edited January 2007
        Dynamat does produce a board that has sandwiched dyanmat between two board for so called optimum DEADness to speak ....... Dynamat works best on items that resonate like sheet metal really IMHO

Use 1 inch oak rod you can buy it any homedepot or lowes and cross brace your box I used it in my DIY boxes 3/4 inch thick and it makes a noticable difference....
        :cool: " He who dies with the most equipment wins Right ? "

Denon 3300 Adcom 535 BBe w/sub out 1 pr 4.6s 2 pr of 4 jrs Recent additions Samsung Lns-4095D LCD, Samsung hd-960 DVD, Monster HT-5000 Power center
        ,HPSA-1000 18" sealed DiY home sub.:D
        Black Laquer 1.2tl's w/ upgraded x-overs and Tweets BI-Amped with 2 Carver tfm-35's Knukonceptz 10ga cables
      • black magic
        edited January 2007
        thanks for the tip. I'm ordering another c500.1 (the used one i bought didn't work so I'm getting a new one), another MM2124 and a pair of MMC525s. I'll also try to get my hands on some dynamat before i install it all.
      • MacLeod
        MacLeod Posts: 14,358
        edited January 2007
        Oops. Missed this one.

Yes. Putting Dynamat on the outside of the box is a good idea. I slapped a layer on my box.

Its not a necessity but more of an added insurance policy. Putting Dynamat on the outside of the box adds to the mass of the wood and makes it more rigid which will make it a lot less likely to resonate, flex or vibrate.

Like I said tho, you dont have to use it. If you use plenty strong wood and your construction is very solid it wont matter much. I just see it as an extra layer of protection.
        polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
        MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
        08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
      • black magic
        edited January 2007
        alright thanks!

this weekend i'm ordering another c500.1, MM2124 and MMC525 :D cant wait for all of it to get here!!

just out of curiosity, how would a sub perform if you were to mount it somewhere without a box, like if it was floating in mid air. I'm asking because I don't think I'll have room with 1 sub already in the trunk to mount another one in the rear panel with a box. I'm thinking of just using a smaller box and "stuffing" it.
      • MacLeod
        MacLeod Posts: 14,358
        edited January 2007
        It would sound like crap and have no impact or output at all.

I wouldnt go too much smaller on the box either. Polyfill is ok if your box is a little smaller than it should be but if you build a .3 ft3 box for a 12" sub, no amount of polyfill is going to matter.

You may have to build another box, one that will hold both subs.
        polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
        MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
        08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
      • black magic
        edited January 2007
        yah, i might just do that.

I'll see how i like 1 sub, if i find its not enough i'll add the 2nd. otherwise i'll give it to my brother.
      • vawakemonster
        vawakemonster Posts: 131
        edited January 2007
        damn I wish I had a brother that gave me momos!
        Dodge Dakota
        HU: Pioneer
        Amp: Profile AP600 & Phoenix gold r2.5:2
        Speakers: Boston SX 6.5 components
        Subwoofer: polk mm2104
      • Deadof_knight
        Deadof_knight Posts: 980
        edited January 2007
        You have to have the air space . Infinite baffle is what your refering too "in mid air" sorta. If you box is too under sized no amount of dyna mat or polyfill will matter and your system will sound like dirt. Slow down and do it right you love it when your done instead of waisting your time.

If you install it that way you might as well have left it in the box to look at it because you wont want to listen too it.

To the other guy you got results out of dynamat being on the outside of you sub box. Interesting
        :cool: " He who dies with the most equipment wins Right ? "

Denon 3300 Adcom 535 BBe w/sub out 1 pr 4.6s 2 pr of 4 jrs Recent additions Samsung Lns-4095D LCD, Samsung hd-960 DVD, Monster HT-5000 Power center
        ,HPSA-1000 18" sealed DiY home sub.:D
        Black Laquer 1.2tl's w/ upgraded x-overs and Tweets BI-Amped with 2 Carver tfm-35's Knukonceptz 10ga cables
      • black magic
        edited January 2007
        thx for all ur inputs. i'm actually goin pretty slow, just so i dont end up disappointed like you said, just thought i'd ask a few questions along the way. I have a c400.4, c500.1, mmc525, another mm2124, and possibly a pair of mmc690 comin next week. I already bought a mm2124 and built a box for it over the past few weeks. I also had a faulty amp which was refunded. However I had the sub tested, and it sounded great! :D. the internal volume was almost exactly .88 cu ft., so i was pretty happy (first time i built my own box).
      • icky4
        icky4 Posts: 27
        edited June 2007
        Putting Dynamat on the outside of the box adds to the mass of the wood and makes it more rigid which will make it a lot less likely to resonate, flex or vibrate.

I agree! Sound deadener inside a box IS a good idea. I would recommend purchasing some liquid deadener and coating the inside of the box. Should be a big improvement!
      • ben62670
        ben62670 Posts: 15,969
        edited June 2007
        icky4 wrote: »
        Putting Dynamat on the outside of the box adds to the mass of the wood and makes it more rigid which will make it a lot less likely to resonate, flex or vibrate.

I agree! Sound deadener inside a box IS a good idea. I would recommend purchasing some liquid deadener and coating the inside of the box. Should be a big improvement!

I had looked around for quite a while for a liquid sound deadening material for the inside of my speakers. I didn't want anything with harsh chemicals that could damage the woofer glue. I ended up using Latex rubberized driveway sealer. It works great. Cost $25 for 5 gallons. Bonds well. Plus it really helps deaden any resonating. I put the first coat on light, and then 2 heavier coats. My speakers are actually towers. While the sealer was wet I used it to bond the poly batting sheets to. Make sure the first coat is light(tack coat), or you may have bonding issues. ;)
        Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
        Thanks
        Ben