edited December 2006 in The Clubhouse
HT:
Martin Logan Motion 40
Martin Logan Motion 50XT
Emotiva Airmotiv E2
SVS SB16 Ultra
Def Tech Reference Sub
Yamaha RX-A3070

Signal Cable speaker wires & interconnects.
Post edited by gwh on

Comments

• MSALLA
    MSALLA Posts: 1,602
    edited December 2006
    If you bought it, would you play it? What do you do with a $100,000+ record?:eek:
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    12.1 SVS driver in 4.53 cuft. tube
    Harmony 880
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited December 2006
    Wow!!!

Unbelievable. Even if you don't take into account all the bids that were denied, there is incredible interest for this piece -- especially at this pricepoint.

Almost reads like an urban legend.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited December 2006
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited December 2006
    I'm bidding on it! Is anyone else?:p ;):D
    Carl

• petrym
    petrym Posts: 1,912
    edited December 2006
    I'm laughing at it... :D
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited December 2006
    Whao. This thread was started yesterday. Why does it now say all these posts were made today? :confused:
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited December 2006
    Get the hell out of here with that crap. I love LPs, I would pay some good money (and have) for a great recording and a great performance. I love the Velvet Underground and Lou Reed (Bowie was involved too) is just plain awesome but $126,504.00 for an LP that is never going to be touched by a stylus, come on!!! It is like an impressionistic painting. Some art collectors see a real artististic gem, I see what looks like my 9 year old did some finger painting.

EDIT: Also, and I don't know why, when I think of Andy Warhol my skin crawls.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited December 2006
    insane. the auction started at .99 how did it get that out of hand?
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • hearingimpared
    edited December 2006
    danger boy wrote:
    insane. the auction started at .99 how did it get that out of hand?

Insane is putting it mildly Al. . . I would venture to say A-holes. Great LP to have for no more than maybe $250 and that is if you got into a bidding war for it. $126,000 is rediculous and I know the poor bastage that is the seller is going to get screwed.
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited December 2006
    I don't know if I really can feel sorry for him, since he only shelled out 75 cents to buy the thing.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • MSALLA
    MSALLA Posts: 1,602
    edited December 2006
    It's up to $130,000. This can't be real. It's either going to be hanging on some rich collector's wall or this is fake.

Michael
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    12.1 SVS driver in 4.53 cuft. tube
    Harmony 880
  • FicmanS
    FicmanS Posts: 134
    edited December 2006
    Holy Smokes... Serious coin for that bad boy...
    Rockin' In My House :D

Pioneer 50 inch Plasma TV
    Denon AVR-3806
    Denon DVD-1930ci
    Polk Montor 70's
    Polk PSW-12
    Polk CS2
    Polk Monitor 40's

Sirius Satellite Radio, Monster 3500MKII
  • tommyboy
    tommyboy Posts: 1,414
    edited December 2006
    imagine how much this will go up in the last few minutes:eek:
    AVR: H/K AVR240
    Fronts: Monitor 50s
    Center: CSI3
    surrounds: R15s
    Sub:Velodyne DPS10
    Dvd/Cd: Samsung HD upconverter (for now)
    TV: 50" Sammy Plasma
    game hardware: 360 and gcn.
    Gamertag: kovster27
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited December 2006
    Velvet Underground Rarity Sells on eBay
    Email this Story

Dec 10, 2:06 AM (ET)

By VERENA DOBNIK

NEW YORK (AP) - Forty years after it was made, The Velvet Underground's first recording has become a financial hit - in cyberspace. Bought for 75 cents four years ago at a Manhattan flea market, the rare recording of music that ended up on the influential New York band's first album, "The Velvet Underground & Nico," sold on eBay for a closing bid of $155,401.

The buyer is a mystery, only identified by the eBay screen name: "mechadaddy."

But a greater mystery endures: How did the 12-inch, acetate LP end up buried in a box of records at a flea market?

Warren Hill, a collector from Montreal, bought the record in September 2002 at the flea market, according to an article written by his friend, Eric Isaacson of Mississippi Records in Portland, Ore. in the current issue of Goldmine Magazine.

Isaacson helped Hill decipher the nature of the lucky find.

"We cued it up and were stunned - the first song was not 'Sunday Morning' as on the 'Velvet Underground & Nico' Verve LP, but rather it was 'European Son' - the song that is last on that LP, and it was a version neither of us had ever heard before!" Isaacson wrote.

The recording turned out to be an in-studio acetate made during Velvet Underground's first recording over four days in April 1966 at New York's Scepter Studios. The record reportedly is only one of two in existence; the other is privately owned, with rumors circulating about the owner's identity. Columbia Records rejected the album.

"I immediately took the needle off the record, and realized that we had something special," Isaacson wrote. Hill and Isaacson photographed the album, made a digital backup copy of the music, and decided to put it up for auction. The first bids, which began Nov. 28, rose $20,000.

Velvet Underground left its musical stamp on hundreds of other bands.

The band, named after a book about edgy sex practices in the 1960s, was fueled by Moe Tucker's hard-driving drumming, John Cale's anxious viola, and lead singer Lou Reed, whose lyrics spoke of drug-induced beauty and gritty Lower East Side realities.

The first album featured Nico, the European model-actress-singer in a first and last recorded appearance with the band.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • hearingimpared
    edited December 2006
    If someone actually pays $155,401.00 for this LP, I'll eat my dogs tail.
  • Libertyc
    Libertyc Posts: 915
    edited December 2006
    Better run and hide Moose!!
  • hearingimpared
    edited December 2006
    Libertyc wrote:
    Better run and hide Moose!!

Billy that is how sure I am that no-one is going to pay $155k for that LP. Moose has a very big tail. . .
  • univera
    univera Posts: 848
    edited December 2006

EDIT: Also, and I don't know why, when I think of Andy Warhol my skin crawls.

Probably goes back to your homophobia thread posted a while back...:) Sorry, couldn't help myself. If you are strictly referring to his odd appearence, I retract my comments;)
    UNIVERA
    Historic Charleston SC

2 Channel:
    SDA-SRS's RDO tweets
    Biamped Anthem 2 SE's w/1970's NOS Siemens CCA's
    Anthem Pre 2L w/E.harmonix platinum matched 6H23's
    CDP- NAD C 542

HT setup:
    AVR: NAD T 773
    Rears: Polk LC80i
    DVD: Toshiba 3109 dual tray
    Subs: Velodyne and M&K
    T.V.: Sony KDL-52XBR4 w/Vans Evers Clean Line Jr.
    Conditioner: Panamax M5100EX

Master Bedroom Sony 40KDL-XBR3

"I love it when a plan comes together." Hannibal Smith, The A-Team
  • hearingimpared
    edited December 2006
    univera wrote:
    Probably goes back to your homophobia thread posted a while back...:) Sorry, couldn't help myself. If you are strictly referring to his odd appearence, I retract my comments;)

Wow no-one ever called me a homophobe. If you are referring to my son's school thread, I guess when I have a concern about an issue that may involve homosexuals, I become a homophobe. That's a sorry state of affairs in my book.

What makes my skin crawl about Andy Warhol could be an little bit about his odd appearance but I think it is more about his awful Frankenstien & Dracula movies that he made.

Didn't know Warhol was a homosexual and really didn't care.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,428
    edited December 2006
    That's a sorry state of affairs in my book.

Mine too.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• hearingimpared
    edited December 2006
    Sound to me like UNI is a hetero phobe. LOL
  • univera
    univera Posts: 848
    edited December 2006
    It's all good...I'm just pulling your chain since that thread caused such a stir. Hence the smiley. Just couldn't resist...getting myself in trouble as usual...Warhol was a weirdo for sure. I like his art. Enjoyed your turntable innovation. That added good insight to that thread. And trust me, I like women.
    UNIVERA
    Historic Charleston SC

2 Channel:
    SDA-SRS's RDO tweets
    Biamped Anthem 2 SE's w/1970's NOS Siemens CCA's
    Anthem Pre 2L w/E.harmonix platinum matched 6H23's
    CDP- NAD C 542

HT setup:
    AVR: NAD T 773
    Rears: Polk LC80i
    DVD: Toshiba 3109 dual tray
    Subs: Velodyne and M&K
    T.V.: Sony KDL-52XBR4 w/Vans Evers Clean Line Jr.
    Conditioner: Panamax M5100EX

Master Bedroom Sony 40KDL-XBR3

"I love it when a plan comes together." Hannibal Smith, The A-Team
  • Kahuna
    Kahuna Posts: 35
    edited December 2006
    So how much does a laser turntable cost that one would use to play this record (without damaging it) anyways?
  • hearingimpared
    edited December 2006
    Kahuna wrote:
    So how much does a laser turntable cost that one would use to play this record (without damaging it) anyways?

The lesser model is $17,000 the better model with more options is a cool $19,000. That shouldn't be a problem for the rich fool that is going to pay $155,000 for the LP.

See this link.

Edit: Whooppps just noticed that they now have a $15,000 model, wow now I can afford one.
  • hearingimpared
    edited December 2006
    univera wrote:
    It's all good...I'm just pulling your chain since that thread caused such a stir. Hence the smiley. Just couldn't resist...getting myself in trouble as usual...Warhol was a weirdo for sure. I like his art. And trust me, I like women.

Wasn't sure where you were coming from with that one smiley notwithstanding. Anyhow, I like good ribbing. I agree about Warhol, but to go a little further, Warhol was downright scary. He kind of freaked me out like Truman Capote did. I don't know if those guys were homosexuals or not I just know they freaked me out.
    univera wrote:
    Enjoyed your turntable innovation. That added good insight to that thread.

Uni, I'm not sure what you are referring to here.