How's this for an exclosure

Options
black magic
black magic Posts: 669
edited December 2006 in Car Subwoofer Talk
Okay, so i'm going to tear out the rear panel in my civic and try to mount 2 12" subs in it, its gonna be a tight fit. I was doin somethinking and what if i was to build a box for them also, and just mount the boxes in the panel, do you think that would sound better? i'm looking at the MM2142

for the boxes, i was thinking something that looked like this:
demo.JPG

that way some air goes into the trunk and decreases the chances of cracking my rear windshield.
Post edited by black magic on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited December 2006
    Options
    I like the idea of building your own boxes. Thats what car audio is all about!

A few things tho.

1- youre not going to have to worry about cracking your back windshield until youre in the neighborhood of 150 db which simply aint gonna happen with 600 watts.

2- I know of no reason to have 2 ports. Im not even sure if you can make those work right.

Stick with a sealed box. For one it will be smaller and easier to install. Just do it right and dampen the crap out of your trunk and back deck and youll be just fine.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • black magic
    edited December 2006
    Options
    awesome. thanks man! if i go sealed, why would i have to dampen my trunk if i'm gonna throw the subs in a box and them mount in the panel though? regardless, the panel will definitely have a layer of dynamat under it.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited December 2006
    Options
    Damping your trunk is a good thing to do regardless the type of enclosure you go with.

Damping the panels will make them a whole lot less likely to vibrate and resonate.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • black magic
    edited December 2006
    Options
    ok. thx again. that prolly wont come until a bit later though. i'm runnin low on cash :(