White van speakers on craigslist!

I-SIG
I-SIG Posts: 2,238
edited June 2007 in The Clubhouse
SCAM: White Van Speakers!!!

Original ad for white van speakers

Thought y'all might get a kick out of this.

Wes
Link: http://polkarmy.com/forums

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d
Post edited by I-SIG on

Comments

• michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited December 2006
    Don't think those are true white van speakers. I'm thinking more theater research HTIB's for $500. I see at least an ad a day when I check craigslist for my area with them up there asking crazy amounts with BS stories behind them. Things like saying it was an unwanted christmas present and they're worth three grand but I'm only asking 450obo. Sadly they're rampant in my area and there's not much to do about it other than flag it as spam.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited December 2006
    They are about as 'true' as it gets. Acoustic Research was the real deal, Acoustic Response was as close as they could get - and still try to market them as 'AR'. At the time of the 'original' white van sales pitch anyway....

I still see some Acoustic Response in pawn shops from time to time - I've wondered if they would ever start being somewhat collectable, as the original White Van scams.

Hey, at least he's only asking $80, I've seen a lot worse.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited December 2006
    Kickin' it old school white van style now? Peddling alongside the black van with tinted windows and some crazy van art? I totally forgot about fake ar's and the likes. At that price it's probably some guy stashing these in his garage until he has to get rid of them for the room.
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited December 2006
    This is classic White Van crap that they sell. WHOA, 1400 watts! I'm all over this one. :rolleyes:

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/ele/243628689.html

John
    No excuses!
  • venomclan
    venomclan Posts: 2,467
    edited December 2006
    I was at the gas station last week about to leave when a newer Cadillac Escalade pulled alongside, he was just parked on the side for a while and then pulled up to me. I had my windows open and he said "Hey buddy, are you looking for speakers for your house"?

I sooo wish I had more time but was on my lunch break and had to get back. I shook my head and he just drove away. I love to mess with these guys. It happens to me about every 2 years. They always that they had a big install job and had left over speakers, usually branded Digital. They have even produced fake invoices in the past. Oh well, have to wait till next time.
    Venom
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited December 2006
    I really thought this was just an urban legend.

Unbelievable.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited December 2006
    I've had run-ins with them 3-4 times in the past. Been years since they graced me with their state of the art soundsystems for mere pennies. :D
    No excuses!
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited December 2006
    I really thought this was just an urban legend.

Unbelievable.
    Hahahaha, you're on an 'urban legend' kick today, aren't you? This, the LP... :p
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited December 2006
    I thought that after I posted....

must be something spooky in the air.
    Maybe I should just stay in the BCS thread:D
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited December 2006
    Or maybe you should start a thread and tell us what you think of that RCD-02! Ever since you PM'd me I've been wondering what you think of it....well...what do you think of it?! :D
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited December 2006
    Risking a slight derail...

the short and sweet of it is I think the unit is a stellar performer at its pricepoint.

DETAILED is the first, second, and third word that comes to mind.
    Channel separation is outstanding. A tad bright at times, but this was easily tamed with the introduction of the Dared.

A slight knock would be the ultra "slow" fast forward. Hard to A/B other equipment if a preferred reference passage is three minutes into a song.
  • MadDad
    MadDad Posts: 2
    edited June 2007
    Bought speakers out of the back of a van or suv ?

We found the guy that's been ripping people off for nearly 20 years.

Robert M Sullivan dob June 03 , 1968

Phone 303-618-0975

- anyone who writes that these things sound fine is either making money off of them, a scam victim seeking to pawn off his folly on someone else, or they need to have a root canal performed on their ears.

Divinci Speakers - White Van Speakers Scam - $38

If you paid more, you bought them out of the back of a van or suv.

Do a search for "white van speaker"

You'll find some good reviews of this junk !

If you get approach by people trying to sell you this stuff ,
    take some pictures of them , get a plate # , and call your local police.

Also check http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_van_speakers

Brands sold out of white vans or suv .....

Audiofile Acoustic Monitor Acoustic Response, Acoustic Image, Acoustic Lab Technology Denmark Dogg Digital, Digital Dogg Audio Dahlton Digital Research Di Vinci DiVinci Dynalab Epiphany Genesis Media Labs Grafdale Digital Pro Audio, Pro Audio, Digital Audio, Digital Audio Professional Speaker Systems, Digital Audio Skyline Digital Research Epiphany Audio Kirsch Matrix Audio Concepts Millennium Theater Systems (MTS) Omni Audio Protecsound Pro Dynamics Paradyme PSD Theater Research
  • Gaara
    Gaara Posts: 2,415
    edited June 2007
    Wow 6 month old thread resurrected for this? Not to be cynical but this sounds like a reverse scam, forgive me if it is not.

You told the members over at axiom audio to call for a refund, so let me guess how this works. Someone who paid say $200 for a pair of junk speakers calls the number and is offered $50 for the junk speakers. They accept then give the speakers to you, and you turn around and resell them for $200.

Your post looks like you mean well but it is weird that you seem to be spamming it a lot. Maybe one of our more adventurous members can call the number and see whats what.
  • MadDad
    MadDad Posts: 2
    edited June 2007
    If some low life screwed your son , out of his money for this junk !

Gald he wrote a check !
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited June 2007
    I see them on my local Craigslist every day.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Gaara
    Gaara Posts: 2,415
    edited June 2007
    Well from my perspective I don't know anything about you except that you are signing up on a lot of forums just to post this info. That being said from my perspective you are just as likely to be a person whos son was screwed over as someone trying to buy back these at a low price just to resell them.

That being said if my son was screwed out of his money I wouldn't expect anything back, my son was dumb enough to purchase speakers that he had never heard of out of the back of a van he deserved to lose his money.

Assuming I felt that he had been screwed and hadn't just made a bad judgment call I would be gratefull if the person who sold him the speakers paid him back for them after they had been used for however long. I would appreciate that the man did the right thing and would not spam all of his personal information all over a bunch of forums.

But hey thats just me.

Face,

I see them on craigslist to and they are always on ebay as well.