4 Polkies = Fantastic evening!!!

Options
pearsall001
pearsall001 Posts: 4,997
edited December 2006 in Gatherings & Special Events
Well we're up to 4 Polkies now. Joe (hearingimpaired), Bill (LibertyC), Anthony (amulford), & Phil (pearsall001) that's me. Let me tell ya, what a great bunch of guys!!! Meeting Anthony was a first for the rest of us. Hell of a nice guy, & he fit in just fine, just like the rest of us sorry asses. Hoisted some brews, listened to some great tunes & swapped a lot of audio & gear info. It was a fine night for the 4 of us. We want to keep it going & get more of the local sorry asses to join us. Oh, & as a special treat my Van Alstine Ultra DAC arrived Friday just in time for our pow-wow. What a superb piece, a follow up review will be coming shortly. I personally just love it & can't wait to meet more Polkies. Climb on board!!
"2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
Post edited by pearsall001 on

Comments

• amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited December 2006
    Options
    It was an outstanding evening. It is cool to know we have so many of us so close. We MUST start having more of these. It's one hell of time. Good pizza, cool tunes and sweet gear. Add to that outstanding company, and that my friends is a recipe for a great night.

Phil is a great host. what else can you say? He's got these AAD's which WILL surprise you with the depth of their performance. It's hard to imagine the low end they are capable of given the size. Try to pick 'em up and you know they ain't no joke...

Hey Joe, you are so close I can taste it. Get in the house, and we'll be over for the set up party. You got my number, bro.

Yo Bill. I gotta get my ears on some of this tube gear of yours. Laid back guy. You got any SDA's? (I forget) If not, I have a set of 2b's I need to "store".

Couple of thoughts. We tried out a couple of DAC's. They were getting signal from a Consonance CDP. Now the Consonance was no slouch, but the DAC's just added a nicer sense of seperation and depth the CD wasn't doing. Now I wasn't ever even considering having a DAC, but I am thinking about it now. Phil, that Van Alstine is definitely a keeper.

Phil also did some room treatment. Very nice way of integrateing it into the room, it blended right in. Now I did not get to hear the room before the treatment, but I can say it very much enhanced the sound. The unwanted reflective coloration was greatly reduced and it opened up more detail in the recordings. I gotta go shopping.

We gotta keep this going...And more of you guys in the area should come on board...
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited December 2006
    Options
    Great night, of course it is a great night anytime I can listen good music on a great system.

It was great meeting Antny. . . I was sucking his brain dry for the wealth of all things audio information in his head. Yo Ant, I can't wait to get settled in the new house so that I can get you, Billy and Phil over to get my rig up to par. I also can't wait to get to your abode, I'm dying to hear the Caver Amazings.

It is such fun to just sit around listening and BSing. I love when we can A/B equipment also. I also love all the tube talk and Phil is such a comedian, when asked what kind of tubes he had in a particular piece of equipment he replied, "Glass." Well that got us rolling (no pun intended) on the floor with laughter.

ONe thing I walked away from Friday night that has me a little concerned. My Timbre DAC seems to be malfunctioning . . . either that or it's not set up right. When we first hooked it up about a month ago it sounded great with a rich analog sound. I'm not sure what's going on but I'll worry about it when I get it connected in my rig.

Anyhow. . .I can see this crew growing into a large sub club of Polk's forum. Now we've got to get GG, MSALLA, ohskigod, Fireman32, Jstas and our friend from York (whose ID escapes me right now) to get with us.

I can't wait for the next get together.
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited December 2006
    Options
    Sounds like a real good evening. Glad to hear to you folks getting in some real QPT - Quality Polk Time.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • hearingimpared
    edited December 2006
    Options
    janmike wrote:
    Sounds like a real good evening. Glad to hear to you folks getting in some real QPT - Quality Polk Time.

Every time I see your location Yellowknife NT, I picture an igloo in a desolate mountain pine area.:D
  • janmike
    edited December 2006
    Options
    I know, most people have no idea. It's like you cannot see across in LA or Pittsburg because of the smog or staying alive in Detroit or NYC. Then again.....

Here, you may be surprised or maybe not.
    Yellowknife Photos
    Michael ;)

NORTH of 60°
  • hearingimpared
    edited December 2006
    Options
    janmike wrote:
    I know, most people have no idea. It's like you cannot see across in LA or Pittsburg because of the smog or staying alive in Detroit or NYC. Then again.....

Here, you may be surprised or maybe not.
    Yellowknife Photos

Wow what a beautiful place!!! :cool:

Okay, what ja do wit the igloo???:D
  • janmike
    edited December 2006
    Options
    The sun melted it away. I guess I will either pitch a tent or build a new one.:D :D
    Michael ;)

NORTH of 60°
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,501
    edited December 2006
    Options
    next time ya get together, keep me in the loop.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • hearingimpared
    edited December 2006
    Options
    ohskigod wrote:

Right on Brother!
  • pearsall001
    edited December 2006
    Options
    ohskigod wrote:

Excellent!!! Consider yourself in!! Now where's all the rest of the local Tri-State Polkies? Let's go guys, we can grow this BIG.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited December 2006
    Options
    Count me in next time as well. Love to meet a few more polkies and listen to good music. Learn as im still a newbie and BS and make some new friends. Joe i've heard alot about you magical closet and all of the cool stuff that you have.
  • Fireman32
    edited December 2006
    Options
    Scratch that i was thinking of george grand. Still looking foward to meeting everyone.
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    edited December 2006
    Options
    I may hop aboard this train the next time it takes off. I'll make the hike from Ball-dee-more! It's not that far of a drive anyway. I have some gear I can tote along too.

Oh yeah, Antny has to perform "Kitchen ****" duties next time just like he did at BDT's. He did an admirable job in Wendy's kitchen.

John
    No excuses!
  • hearingimpared
    edited December 2006
    Options
    Strong Bad wrote:
    I may hop aboard this train the next time it takes off. I'll make the hike from Ball-dee-more! It's not that far of a drive anyway. I have some gear I can tote along too.

Oh yeah, Antny has to perform "Kitchen ****" duties next time just like he did at BDT's. He did an admirable job in Wendy's kitchen.

John

Baltimore is a day trip to me and my wife. We often go down to the Inner Harbor. I love that place. . . I especially love it 4th of July weekend.

I don't like the Ravens but I love the Orioles and Camden Yards.:cool:
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited December 2006
    Options
    Beer, pizza, and music---don't get much better than that. Sounds like a great time fellers.

Anthony--my Benchmark DAC really worked some magic, one of the best investments I've made. It'll be a permanent fixture in my system.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • amulford
    edited December 2006
    Options
    Strong Bad wrote:

John

No problem. As long as you play "Bar ****" for me and keep the liquor coming, and the tunes are ROCKIN', I'll cook all day...;)
  • amulford
    edited December 2006
    Options
    steveinaz wrote:
    Beer, pizza, and music---don't get much better than that. Sounds like a great time fellers.

Anthony--my Benchmark DAC really worked some magic, one of the best investments I've made. It'll be a permanent fixture in my system.

Yeah, I wasn't really much of a believer, till now...
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    edited December 2006
    Options
    Ya know, this is like the third time you guys have gotten together and said I should show up but no one said anything to me about it. The saddest part of it is the fact that I probably live closer to Phil than anyone else here! So if you want me to show up, you gotta tell me when things are happening!

Then I can school all you old farts on how nice car audio can actually be! Especially when it's strapped to a 500 horsepower rocketship on wheels!
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Jstas
    edited December 2006
    Options
    Oh, by the way Strong Bad, Baltimore is about an hour and a half away if you are moving. Even if you obey the speed limits and you don't hit any crazy traffic on the beltway (I think it's I695?) or on I95 thorugh Delware, it's still less than two hours. It's an easy drive and with the Chesapeake House and Maryland House rest centers a drive back even if it's late at night, isn't that difficult.

• pearsall001
    edited December 2006
    Options
    Jstas wrote:
    Ya know, this is like the third time you guys have gotten together and said I should show up but no one said anything to me about it. The saddest part of it is the fact that I probably live closer to Phil than anyone else here! So if you want me to show up, you gotta tell me when things are happening!

Then I can school all you old farts on how nice car audio can actually be! Especially when it's strapped to a 500 horsepower rocketship on wheels!

Our bad. You're in for the next get together. We'll let you know when we get ready for another one. Hey, since you live so close, give me a holler & just stop over.
  • amulford
    edited December 2006
    Options

That rig you helped me do is still ROCKIN'... Hey, did you get the Amazings yet?
  • hearingimpared
    edited December 2006
    Options
    Our bad. You're in for the next get together. We'll let you know when we get ready for another one. Hey, since you live so close, give me a holler & just stop over.

He probably lives across the street and thought we were four noisy kids late Friday night. LOLOLOLOL
  • Jstas
    edited December 2006
    Options
    Anthony, no, not yet. Some personal issues have cause problems for me but Bob being the kind gentleman that he is is working on it with me. I will get them soon enough. I'm not in a huge rush because I don't have power for them yet either. They will be here soon enough.

hearingimpared, my parents live about a block away from Phil. I moved out about 2 years ago now and live in Voorhees. But I'm still less than 5 miles away which is much closer than pretty much everyone else...that I know of. I just haven't changed my signature yet because I'm lazy. Also, noisy kids don't bother me unless they are destroying my property. Then they bother me. Hell, I'm a noisy kid myself at times. My hobbies include big stereos and extremely fast race cars. Both are very loud.

• hearingimpared
    edited December 2006
    Options
    Jstas wrote:
    Anthony, no, not yet. Some personal issues have cause problems for me but Bob being the kind gentleman that he is is working on it with me. I will get them soon enough. I'm not in a huge rush because I don't have power for them yet either. They will be here soon enough.

hearingimpared, my parents live about a block away from Phil. I moved out about 2 years ago now and live in Voorhees. But I'm still less than 5 miles away which is much closer than pretty much everyone else...that I know of. I just haven't changed my signature yet because I'm lazy. Also, noisy kids don't bother me unless they are destroying my property. Then they bother me. Hell, I'm a noisy kid myself at times. My hobbies include big stereos and extremely fast race cars. Both are very loud.

I used to live on Roberts Way in Voorhees. . . across from the Echlon Mall.

Joe
  • Strong Bad
    edited December 2006
    Options
    Jstas wrote:
    Oh, by the way Strong Bad, Baltimore is about an hour and a half away if you are moving. Even if you obey the speed limits and you don't hit any crazy traffic on the beltway (I think it's I695?) or on I95 thorugh Delware, it's still less than two hours. It's an easy drive and with the Chesapeake House and Maryland House rest centers a drive back even if it's late at night, isn't that difficult.

The drive up there is a piece of cake! Just keep everyone in the loop when the next gathering is.

Antny, if beer is all I have to serve, then I'll gladly be the "Bar ****." Ya can't really F up serving a beer. I'll find a way though! :D
    No excuses!
  • Jstas
    edited December 2006
    Options
    Strong Bad wrote:
    Ya can't really F up serving a beer. I'll find a way though! :D

Why did I get an image of Anthony and John standing toe to toe, yelling at each other "YOU GOT PEANUT BUTTER IN MY BEER!" "YOU GOT BEER IN MY PEANUT BUTTER!"

• Strong Bad
    edited December 2006
    Options
    Jstas wrote:
    Why did I get an image of Anthony and John standing toe to toe, yelling at each other "YOU GOT PEANUT BUTTER IN MY BEER!" "YOU GOT BEER IN MY PEANUT BUTTER!"

"Wait a minute Antny, this is pretty good! Down the hatch..."
    No excuses!
  • amulford
    edited December 2006
    Options
    "Yeah, John, this ain't bad at all!!!" ( PLOP - GLUG GLUG GLUG GLUG GLUG)
  • Jstas
    edited December 2006
    Options
    I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

• Fireman32
    edited December 2006
    Options
    You have to taste my peanut butter burgers....mmmmmmmmmmgood