8" sub as midbass - anyone try this?

Topper
Topper Posts: 403
Hi guys!

Tried searching for this but wasn't coming up with anything so here goes - anyone try running either the db or Momo 8" subs as midbass? Hows the performance?

(looking at options and alternatives for a groundpounder system and need a front-stage that can hang with the subs)
Post edited by Topper on

Comments

• dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited December 2006
    more than likely it will not work very well because subs usually have a narrow frequency band and will not reach high enough into the mid frequenceys
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited December 2006
    I think it depends on how high you want it to go. What frequency are you planning on running your midrange down to?
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited December 2006
    I think it would be a great idea!

The Momo 8" sub will play up to 200 Hz which is plenty high enough for midbass drivers.

The problem is getting them installed. Being a sub theyre going to be bigger than a midbass and will work best in a sealed enclosure as opposed to a typical midbass speaker which is designed to work IB. And its usually not that easy to build a sealed enclosure inside a door.

Still, if you can get it done, using 8" subs for midbass can work very well, its just usually not done because dedicated midbass speakers are smaller, will work better in IB and are generally easier to install.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited December 2006
    depends on your midrange. Most midbass speakers get cut off around 400-500 Hz. When using subs as midbasses you almost always have to have at least a 5.25" midrange to hit the lower notes as not to put a gap in your frequency range.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • bknauss
    bknauss Posts: 1,441
    edited December 2006
    Its been done in two Polk vehicles... I believe as a 3-way setup. Waiting for Thom and Josh to chime in. I've dabbled with the idea in my car, but there would be a lot of fiberglassing on my doors needed to fit the Momo 8s. They're pretty deep.
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk
  • Topper
    edited December 2006
    Yep if the plans push through and i went with them for midbass duties, i probably would use em only till about 200hz or so with other speakers taking over by then.

Polk doesnt make a dedicated 8" midbass driver that works IB though? that would be quite a bit less headache to work with :)
  • MacLeod
    edited December 2006
    exalted512 wrote:
    depends on your midrange. Most midbass speakers get cut off around 400-500 Hz.
    -Cody

I dont know of anybody that cuts their mids off that high. I suppose you could and it would depend on the application but I see no reason why 200 Hz would be a suffecient crossover point for mids and midbasses.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • bknauss
    bknauss Posts: 1,441
    edited December 2006
    Topper wrote:
    Yep if the plans push through and i went with them for midbass duties, i probably would use em only till about 200hz or so with other speakers taking over by then.

Polk doesnt make a dedicated 8" midbass driver that works IB though? that would be quite a bit less headache to work with :)

Where were you thinking of putting the 8s? I'm curious why you mentioned IB... I believe the only IB applications I have ever seen use the trunk as the "box".
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk
  • Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited December 2006
    bknauss wrote:
    Its been done in two Polk vehicles... I believe as a 3-way setup. Waiting for Thom and Josh to chime in. I've dabbled with the idea in my car, but there would be a lot of fiberglassing on my doors needed to fit the Momo 8s. They're pretty deep.

No we haven't.
  • exalted512
    edited December 2006
    MacLeod wrote:
    I dont know of anybody that cuts their mids off that high. I suppose you could and it would depend on the application but I see no reason why 200 Hz would be a suffecient crossover point for mids and midbasses.
    I dont know of any that cut below 300. Hell, my midrange frequency response starts at 250Hz. Almost all premade 3-way systems start cut off their midbasses and start their midranges in the 300-500 range.
    -Cody
  • exalted512
    edited December 2006
    bknauss wrote:
    Where were you thinking of putting the 8s? I'm curious why you mentioned IB... I believe the only IB applications I have ever seen use the trunk as the "box".
    what do you think your doors are? Poor IB's, but IB nonetheless. Nothing a little sound deadening cant cure anyway
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited December 2006
    exalted512 wrote:
    what do you think your doors are? Poor IB's, but IB nonetheless. Nothing a little sound deadening cant cure anyway
    -Cody

I think Brian is talking about IB setups for subs.

The thing with IB setups for subs is that the mounting surface has to be sealed for it to work best. There can be infinite volume behind the sub but it should be sealed off from the point above the mounting point.

As for being used in Polk vehicles, I couldve sworn that you guys slapped a set of 2084's in the dash of the Momo Civic. Speaking of which, why isnt that in the install gallery anymore? That is my alltime favorite demo car!

• Topper
    edited July 2007
    - BUMP -

ok guys i never pushed thru with the 8" subs as midbass in my setup but now i got a buddy thats thinking of doing something like that and asking me if the Polk subs (either DB or Momo series 8s) would be suitable for IB install in the doors and i still aint sure what to tell him?

Would love to hear from someone whos actually tried it if possible? and if so - which series would be better for it? and how'd it turn out?
  • exalted512
    edited July 2007
    Why not just get drivers that were designed to run as midbasses?
    -Cody
  • Topper
    edited July 2007
    he's looking to stick with Polk everything :). His first choice would be to run a 3-way frontstage using 8" midbasses but if none of the DBs or Momos are suitable, then he'll just settle for a 2-way :)
  • MacLeod
    edited July 2007
    They would work just fine. However I would think the problem would be trying to get them to fit inside a door. Theyre subs after all and pretty bulky.

• 300m
    300m Posts: 28
    edited July 2007
    I would do 2- 6.5" midbass drivers in each door before trying to make a sealed enclosure for a sub. Even if you could do a good job sealing the surface of the door(baffle for the sub) there is nowhere near enough volume in a door to work IB.
    Team Schil Acoustics

’05 MECA world champion
    ’06 MECA world champion
    ’06 MECA Culbertson cup (best of show)
  • exalted512
    edited July 2007
    300m wrote: »
    I would do 2- 6.5" midbass drivers in each door before trying to make a sealed enclosure for a sub. Even if you could do a good job sealing the surface of the door(baffle for the sub) there is nowhere near enough volume in a door to work IB.

This would work much, much better.
    -Cody