'Loaner' vehicle

audiobliss
audiobliss Posts: 12,518
edited December 2006 in The Clubhouse
Well, my Jeep's had water pooling up under the driver's side carpet here for about a month, so now that the stench of mold has been thoroughly embedded in my carpet, I thought it was time to pull it up and let it air out. Wednesday night I pulled the seat and molding out so I could pull up the carpet, and I've had a fan blowing on it ever since (actually just turned it off...all seems to be dry now).

Anyhoo, since the Jeep has been out of commission and school hasn't seen fit to close on account of it, I've been driving Dad's 2001 Suburban. :D

Man, I just love this car! I can't believe Dad wants to get rid of it. I think I'll sell the Jeep and take the Suburban instead of the Jetta! haha

It just rides so smooth, the steering and braking are effortless, the seats are comfortable, the A/C and heat work perfectly,...it's just awesome. And it's cavernous! I discovered yesterday, riding down the highway, that I echo in it! Hahahaha...I actually get an echo in it!

It'll actually get up and go fairly well, too. She has the 5.1L in it, if I'm not mistaken. But the best part of all...it sounds like a mean V8 at anything about 2000rpm. I gotta get me a V8!

The limiter cuts the gas right at 100, but from the little I experimented with it today, I think it'd probably do 120 or so without the limiter.

Driving the Suburban has increased my love of Chevy even more.
Jstas wrote: »
Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
In Use
PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
Epson 8700UB

In Storage
[Home Audio]
Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
Post edited by audiobliss on

Comments

• ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited December 2006
    It's either a 5.7 or 5.3 liter, depending on production date.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,861
    edited December 2006
    Wait until your Dad's Suburban codes out the Excessive Speed code when they read the computer on the next service check. It appears right at the top of the report!

You've been had, son......................
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 5,065
    edited December 2006
    audiobliss wrote:
    Well, my Jeep's had water pooling up under the driver's side carpet here for about a month, so now that the stench of mold has been thoroughly embedded in my carpet, I thought it was time to pull it up and let it air out. Wednesday night I pulled the seat and molding out so I could pull up the carpet, and I've had a fan blowing on it ever since (actually just turned it off...all seems to be dry now).

Anyhoo, since the Jeep has been out of commission and school hasn't seen fit to close on account of it, I've been driving Dad's 2001 Suburban. :D

Man, I just love this car! I can't believe Dad wants to get rid of it. I think I'll sell the Jeep and take the Suburban instead of the Jetta! haha

It just rides so smooth, the steering and braking are effortless, the seats are comfortable, the A/C and heat work perfectly,...it's just awesome. And it's cavernous! I discovered yesterday, riding down the highway, that I echo in it! Hahahaha...I actually get an echo in it!

It'll actually get up and go fairly well, too. She has the 5.1L in it, if I'm not mistaken. But the best part of all...it sounds like a mean V8 at anything about 2000rpm. I gotta get me a V8!

The limiter cuts the gas right at 100, but from the little I experimented with it today, I think it'd probably do 120 or so without the limiter.

Driving the Suburban has increased my love of Chevy even more.

Dude, if your lucky you'll get five gallons to the mile!!!:D
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited December 2006
    Who in their right mind, including your father, would let you borrow their car, knowing how you drive?

Also, a reckless endangerment / driving to endanger charge is not far off in your future.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited December 2006
    bobman1235 wrote:

Also, a reckless endangerment / driving to endanger charge is not far off in your future.

Been there, done that, on both of them. Not recommended.
  • audiobliss
    edited December 2006
    ND13 - It's the 5.3, then. Thanks for the correction.

Dennis Gardner - All I can say is.......*gulp* I'm over here on my knees praying he's had it up to 100 before. Y'all might wanna start checking the Kernersville paper. I just may show up here in the obituary in a few days. :eek: :o:(

pearsall001 - Dad actually gets about 18mpg out of it. In contrast, I get about 14.5mpg out of my Jeep.

bobman1235 - I hear you and can't really argue with you there. However, my driving really isn't all that bad. I just post those 'exciting' stories on here. Just the 'highlights', so to speak. I don't come running here and post everytime I avoid a situation because of being alert/driving safely at the time. My driving has toned down, especially when driving the Suburban. I conducted that 'experiment' going down a long, very straight section of highway with very little traffic.

I just got back from driving it to town again. I love this car. It's so much fun to drive 'right'. In the Jeep you have to burnout at every corner to have fun. The Suburban is just so smooth, it's a joy to try and see just how smooth and coordinated you can be.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • Dennis Gardner
    edited December 2006
    While you have the vehicle in your hands, get an auto mechanics student to clear the codes for you at your local school/Vo-tech.

I learned the hard way about this, when my company car went in for service and that code showed up at the top of the code list on the repair bill..............I was no doubt red faced!
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited December 2006
    "You" and "coordinated" don't seem like they truly belong together......
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • audiobliss
    edited December 2006
    Dennis Gardner - That's really a good idea. A similar thought crossed my mind. Dad's a Snap-On dealer. You know he has at least two different types of scanners on his truck. I *could* just grab one sometime this weekend while he's gone and reset the code myself. Not sure if my conscience would let me do that, though.

Brettw22 - Thanks.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • Dennis Gardner
    edited December 2006
    I don't think the Chevy has a counter on their codes, but my Dad saw that the Lincoln he bought last year had been to the limiter 4 times before he bought the car.

Kinda like "Big Brother" watchin' our every move, huh?

• audiobliss
    edited December 2006
    So, how are you saying the codes work? If it's thrown once, it's just thrown until it's reset? That's how I assumed it worked. Hadn't even thought about counters.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • Dennis Gardner
    edited December 2006
    A scanner will just read and reset the codes just like you assumed. A full computer diagnosis will print out the damage in english. I don't think Chevy has a counter on the codes.

• audiobliss
    edited December 2006
    Hmm. I don't know if I'll try to use a scanner or not. I may just wait 'til he takes it in for service and take the heat whenever it happens. Certainly seems to be the more honest way to go about it.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited December 2006
    Had any ice recently? What, you hit a patch in a parking lot, your foot slipped, and the spedo pegged? Man, glad you are ok.....
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.