For mature audiences only

apc
apc Posts: 779
edited December 2006 in The Clubhouse
I'd like to pass on a suggestion to those of you that are 40+. Get your PSA checked at your annual physical. If not for yourself, for your family. I am recovering from prostate surgery for a cancer that had no symptoms. If not for a blood test, I would never have known about it.

Edit - Responses not required. I'm not fishing for well-wishers, I'm doing fine. This is like a public service announcement.
Husband, Father, Son, Brother, Friend.
Post edited by apc on

Comments

• Normanality
    Normanality Posts: 297
    edited November 2006
    Glad you caught it in time.

And remember, for those of you who's company changes insurance carriers every year and you'll be searching for a new primary care physician.......

Guys, make sure to shake hands with every potential doctor and choose the one with the smallest hands. :D

You can thank me later ;):p
  • dholmes
    dholmes Posts: 1,136
    edited November 2006
    Im 50 + I need to have it checked!!!
    My HT set-up Panasonic front proj, 120 in ws screen, ATI amp,Integra 9.8 pre-pro, 2 Polk rti150, cp 1000, 4 fx 1000, Pioneer blu-ray 2 SVS sub pb 12-ultra 2, & Paragon popcorn popper. ps 3 Coaster leather HT recliners.
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited November 2006
    You may not be looking for "well-wishes", but you're still getting 'em. Prayers and thoughts to you and yours and here's to a speedy and successful recovery.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • wallstreet
    wallstreet Posts: 1,405
    edited November 2006
    Make sure he doesn't have a lisp too.
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited November 2006
    Did it a year ago at 39. Both blood and digital. Glad to hear your doing great.
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited November 2006
    Thanks for the heads-up brotha!
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited November 2006
    Thanks for the info man, my prayers are with you.

You said a PSA test. . .what is it?
  • keith allen
    keith allen Posts: 734
    edited December 2006
    Im about to be 40,I have been getting it done for the last 5 or 6 years,its a good thing
  • apc
    edited December 2006
    PSA stands for prostate specific antigen. Mine is checked as part of my blood work annually. Doctors used to start checking men at age 50, but 40 seems to be the standard now. I think it's because the test can catch cancer earlier and give us better long term treatment results.

From the National Cancer Institute site:

"What is the prostate-specific antigen (PSA) test?

Prostate-specific antigen (PSA) is a protein produced by the cells of the prostate gland. The PSA test measures the level of PSA in the blood. The doctor takes a blood sample, and the amount of PSA is measured in a laboratory. Because PSA is produced by the body and can be used to detect disease, it is sometimes called a biological marker or tumor marker.

It is normal for men to have low levels of PSA in their blood; however, prostate cancer or benign (not cancerous) conditions can increase PSA levels. As men age, both benign prostate conditions and prostate cancer become more frequent. The most common benign prostate conditions are prostatitis (inflammation of the prostate) and benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) (enlargement of the prostate). There is no evidence that prostatitis or BPH cause cancer, but it is possible for a man to have one or both of these conditions and to develop prostate cancer as well.

PSA levels alone do not give doctors enough information to distinguish between benign prostate conditions and cancer. However, the doctor will take the result of the PSA test into account when deciding whether to check further for signs of prostate cancer."
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited December 2006
    Thanks for the info, very very helpful.
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited December 2006
    I have been doing it for a few years now as part of my yearly physical. I just turned 35.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited December 2006
    If you have been going for physicals Joe, then your MD probably has been specifying a PSA on you all along. It's now a standard test they run on all men's bloodwork right along with cholesterol levels.

They have dropped the age for both PSA's & Paps for men & women. Too many young people have gotten cancers that went unoticed until too late. Cancer doesn't care how old you are!

They so far have been unable to successfully get a similiar blood test for women checking for ovarian cancer. There is one called CA125 but it has given out so many false positive results that it is unreliable.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • capecodder
    capecodder Posts: 613
    edited December 2006
    Turned 50 in Oct. and am going for my first colonoscopy on Monday to get baseline check. Eeek. Prostate "feels good" so says my doc.
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited December 2006
    Glad you're okay now, apc.

I hope when I am at the recomended age for this they have mastered a non-invasive version. *shudder*
  • apc
    edited December 2006
    I'm hoping my days of the dreaded DRE (digital rectal exam) are over, since there's no prostate gland to feel. To those who must endure...I never found a way to not absolutely hate the exam...hope you have better luck.