Grounding problem?

Drumingman
Drumingman Posts: 348
edited December 2006 in Car Audio & Electronics
Ok, I need the brains to help me.

I drive a Mac Truck, Factory stock AM / FM.

Fm Works fine, AM has Noise.

I listen to AM and want to get rid of noise.

Factory installed I would guess this would be a ground problem.

How can I do a simple ground on this unit?
Post edited by Drumingman on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited November 2006
    Whadya know! A fellow trucker!!

It depends on the noise youre talking about. AM is a lot more susceptible to noise than FM even with proper grounding.

My system is noise free but when listening to AM radio I have alternator whine, headlight hum, brake light pop you name it! But with CD's and FM radio its noise free.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Drumingman
    Drumingman Posts: 348
    edited November 2006
    A lot of the other trucks on the lot I have been in have no problem with the engine noises on the AM side, some do. Thats why I think it's a ground problem that I'd like to remedy myself.

Is there a Am radio I could carry in the truck and use that would not be bothered by the electronic noises from the truck?
  • dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited November 2006
    am is very susceptible to noise.
  • joeaudio26
    joeaudio26 Posts: 97
    edited November 2006
    I have a pioneer 3800 hu and i can't get certain stations that have high output. Look into a power antenna not sure how hard it is to install but worth looking into.
    Whatsoever thy handfindeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is nor work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest.
  • Custom Jim
    Custom Jim Posts: 30
    edited December 2006
    If the other trucks in the lot do not have noise, can you swap radio's to see if the noise stays with that radio or stays in that truck ?.
    You might have an antenna problem also. Try another mast antenna and see what happens.
    Between the trucks are there differences like one having more fiberglass panels than another ?. Any other electrical differences between the trucks ?.

Jim
    1973 Nova Custom,1974 Nova Spirit of America, 1977 Nova Hatchback,1973 Nova Pro-Street

http://hometown.aol.com/krystaldesigns/page1.html
    1974 Chevrolet Nova Spirit Of America Restoration