What a difference........

Ricardo
Ricardo Posts: 10,636
edited December 2006 in The Clubhouse
it makes when you have not heard how music is supposed to sound....

Last night we went over a friend's house and after dinner he wanted to show off his system; he played the last Phil Collins DVD...oh my god that sounded sooo bad...he has a decent system with an Onkio AVR and JBL speakers. The PROBLEM was that he had a small sub, and I would bet he had it at 100%gain. It was so boomy that the mids were asphyxiated and you could hardly hear the voice...and the worst part is that everyone thought it sounded great :eek: (Except for my wife.....she HAS learned something :))

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
SOPA
Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
Post edited by Ricardo on

Comments

• MSALLA
    MSALLA Posts: 1,602
    edited November 2006
    Take him under your wing and show him the way.
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    12.1 SVS driver in 4.53 cuft. tube
    Harmony 880
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,994
    edited November 2006
    I'm with on that. My parents bought a Bose spent over 5K and to be honest my bedroom system sounds better which consists of a yammy 540 and r15 with an inexpensive yammaha sub. total cost..700$. Heck I think my computer speakers sound a lil better and they cost 150$. Not bashing Bose just saying I understant when you hear crap, you know it. Then think..there's no place like home.
  • Refefer
    Refefer Posts: 1,280
    edited November 2006
    I was at circuit city last night and they were showing off one of their onkyo htib's. I had the exact same impression: very uncontrolled lower frequencies, boomy and cheap sounding.

But heck, that sound is why we do what we do. You should have him do an A-B Test of your two systems... he'll learn quickly what he's been missing.
    Willow wrote:
    Not bashing Bose just saying I understant when you hear crap, you know it. Then think..there's no place like home.

When was being honest considered bashing? ;)
    Lovin that music year after year.

Main 2 Channel System

Polk SDA-1B,
    Promitheus Audio TVC SE,
    Rotel RB-980BX,
    OPPO DV-970HD,
    Lite Audio DAC AH,
    IXOS XHA305 Interconnects

Computer Rig

Polk SDA CRS+,
    Creek Audio 5350 SE,
    Morrow Audio MA1 Interconnect,
    HRT Music Streamer II
  • krabby5
    krabby5 Posts: 923
    edited November 2006
    Most people don't know or care what sounds good. They hear it played loud and they think it must be good.

Sometimes I wish I didn't care so much...:D
    Pioneer Elite VSX-53, Polk RT800i fronts, Polk CS400i center, FX500i surround, Velodyne sub
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited November 2006
    Don't say anything to him. The next time he comes over to your house, just play some music or pop in a DVD. If he's blown away, then you have a student. Teach him well. If he doesn't respond, leave him alone.

My friend is an audiophile. A few years ago he came over my house and I wanted to show off my HTIB system with MTX speakers. I thought it sounded great, and he said it sounded good, too. Then I went over his house and listened to some music with good gear -- Dalquist DQ-10's and Krell stuff. The rest is history...

Looking back on it, I'm glad he didn't tell me my HTIB sounded like ****. I had to find my own way.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • Ricardo
    edited November 2006
    I wouldn't tell him it sounds like $hit....if he's happy with it, then who am I to force him to spend all his money in audio gear????

I already have planned to put the exact same DVD next time he comes; if he doesn't say anything, then good for him; if he starts asking questions....his wife will star hating me :)

SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited November 2006
    I set up a friend's Onkyo HTIB and I told him it sounded pretty good...which it did for the average joe. I did recommend that he get a new sub though but I didn't bash the one he had.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • Deadof_knight
    Deadof_knight Posts: 980
    edited November 2006
    What funny about all the new stuff is that its all boomy, too the untrained ear its great bass. Its all about the boom to normal people. My daughter and my youngest son hear the difference, my wife and my oldest son dont know the difference from ..well I wont go into that but when my daughter said that sounds bad I was proud !!!

Some poor soul is gonna have to get here a Nice set up for the home.
    :cool: " He who dies with the most equipment wins Right ? "

Denon 3300 Adcom 535 BBe w/sub out 1 pr 4.6s 2 pr of 4 jrs Recent additions Samsung Lns-4095D LCD, Samsung hd-960 DVD, Monster HT-5000 Power center
    ,HPSA-1000 18" sealed DiY home sub.:D
    Black Laquer 1.2tl's w/ upgraded x-overs and Tweets BI-Amped with 2 Carver tfm-35's Knukonceptz 10ga cables
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited November 2006
    it's tough going to a friend or relatives house and not wanna go "my ears". LOL it's ok though.. some people are just as happy with what they got.. I don't bash em for having what they do.. i just look down upon them. :p :eek: :D
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,549
    edited November 2006
    danger boy wrote:
    it's tough going to a friend or relatives house and not wanna go "my ears". LOL it's ok though.. some people are just as happy with what they got.. I don't bash em for having what they do.. i just look down upon them. :p :eek: :D

A little audio snob, arent we? :p

I actually (and Sean and I have discussed this)... envy them.

Think of all the money we would've saved if we remained blissfully ignorant, man!

Joey
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited November 2006
    Joey_V wrote:

I actually (and Sean and I have discussed this)... envy them.

Think of all the money we would've saved if we remained blissfully ignorant, man!

Joey

while I love this hobby and wouldnt trade it..........I admit that this idea has crossed my mind on rare occasion :p
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • Ricardo
    edited November 2006
    To the saved money, I would add the saved arguments with the spouse....

SOPA
  • dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited November 2006
    My father in law got a 65 in plasma and wanted new speakers to go with. He took his on and went shopping. They ended up with these http://www.bose.com/controller?event=VIEW_PRODUCT_PAGE_EVENT&product=161_bookshelf_index my mother in-law hates them, and my father in-law is not to fond of them. They have a technics receiver from the 80's and had some small acoustic suspension speakers for what looked like the late 70's they had a tune full bass a clear mid range and a slightly laid back treble. The bose speakers sound like they have a cheap pair of headphone drivers in them. At least they can tell the bose are worse than what they had, but the waf factor is still in effect. the bose would make some really nice paper weights, if they were heavy enough.
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited November 2006
    Joey_V wrote:

Joey

I consider myself quite lucky that I remain blissfully ignorant of any number of potential hobbies/obsessions/money-shredding pursuits.

If audio is the only albatross in my life, then play on playa:D
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited November 2006
    :eek: :eek: Some women are just plain crazy! Or stupid.:confused: :eek: :rolleyes: :mad:

My father in law got a 65 in plasma and wanted new speakers to go with. He took his on and went shopping....my mother in-law hates them, At least they can tell the bose are worse than what they had, but the waf factor is still in effect. the bose would make some really nice paper weights, if they were heavy enough.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited December 2006
    oh you hit the crazy thing dead on, My wife agrees that her mother is insane